diy solar

diy solar

All-In-One to Power 2 RVs Off Grid

BajaErin

Hello, we are excited to get set up with system, but trying to wrap my mind on the AC out portion. Off Grid and currently using 3500 Watt generator.

What we have to work with so far:
Growatt 6Kw 24volt Split Phase 120v/240v Package (2 x 2Kw MPPT) (Ready for any expansion needed)
4 - 12 volt 100 amp Battle Born Batteries to be wired in series for 24 volts
5 - 250 Watt 60 cell Poly Panels on top of storage container (purchased 10 used). Max Power Voltage 30.3v and Max Power Current 8.27 Amps.
3500 Watt Inverter Generator for AC In that will be plugged into regular

We want to power our 5th wheel (main home) and a Travel Trailer for extra fridge/freezer and guest sleeping quarters when needed. Our 5th wheel power cord is 50 Amp plug that we converted to 30 amp to plug into generator which has been sufficient for us. Travel trailer currently powered by extension cord also plugged into generator, 120 Volt outlet. 5th wheel is approximately 80 feet West of Storage Container with Solar Panels on top. Travel Trailer approximately another 70 feet West of 5th wheel.

Here is where we start to get unsure and would love opinions of what to do: Our current thought is to install the Growatt(s) and batteries in the storage unit that has the solar panels on roof. Generator close by on outside of shed for AC input to be plugged into a 120 volt outlet. Then hardwire AC output into Circuit Breaker Load Center/Breaker Box. From there run first line out of 30 Amp(?) breaker close to 5th wheel into 30 Amp RV Power Outlet (unless 50 Amp an option at all). Then run second line out of 20 Amp breaker close to Travel Trailer into an outdoor 20Amp GFCI Duplex Outlet. ????????? Is this a good approach???

Crazy barrage of questions:
For AC out to breaker box, the 12 gauge AC extension cable (cord) doesn't seem sufficient to me. Is it? I read somewhere on here that the maximum size wire for AC output is 6 awg. Should we instead get and use 6 awg 3 wire from Growatt AC output to breaker box???? Do I need to incorporate a Ground Bar or Ground Bus Bar with what we are thinking? For the 2 runs from the shed, what size Romex (?) wire should we use? 3 wire? Since Solar Panels are 24 volt, did we stick ourselves with too low of amps going to MPPT? Will 8+Amps be enough?

OfferUp nearby has a listing for a GE 100 Amp 12 space 22 Circuit Main Breaker Indoor Load Center Contractor Kit that comes with NEMA 1 enclosure, main breaker is factory installed and includes 3 - 30 Amp breakers and equipment ground kit for $30. Should I get it and a 20 amp breaker???

If there are other things I'm not considering or missing, please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read all this.

Erin

NEMA 1 enclosure is indoor. NEMA 3R is outdoor, rainproof.
I like Square-D QO series. Costs more. The 125A and larger panels have copper busbars rather than aluminum.
Newer models have "plug on neutral", which allows GFCI breakers without curly pigtail wires taking up space.

The following table will tell you about wire gauge vs. current:

12 awg has ampacity 30A, but the footnote says use 20A max breaker.
6 awg is good for 75A.

Nothing wrong with 8 amps from PV panel. What matters is watts, and panels are connected series or parallel to fit within voltage and current limits of MPPT input. IMPORTANT: USING RECORD COLD TEMPERATURES TO ADJUST Voc, otherwise you kill the electronics.
You may want more panels, depending on power consumption.

Nothing wrong with 8 amps from PV panel. What matters is watts, and panels are connected series or parallel to fit within voltage and current limits of MPPT input. IMPORTANT: USING RECORD COLD TEMPERATURES TO ADJUST Voc, otherwise you kill the electronics.

I found this calculator awhile back to help calculate the freezing watts at coldest operating temperature (about 1/4 way down after main article section):

I'm sure there's an easy math formula, but I always like it when I find a cool calculator...

NEMA 1 enclosure is indoor. NEMA 3R is outdoor, rainproof.
I like Square-D QO series. Costs more. The 125A and larger panels have copper busbars rather than aluminum.
Newer models have "plug on neutral", which allows GFCI breakers without curly pigtail wires taking up space.

The following table will tell you about wire gauge vs. current:

12 awg has ampacity 30A, but the footnote says use 20A max breaker.
6 awg is good for 75A.

Thank you for the info. Avoiding the pigtails sounds great.

Back