diy solar

diy solar

Allow low temp discharge without low temp charging

kholmz

I've seen lots of threads about low temperature protection for LiFESO4 cells. Most seem to just be disconnecting the battery below 32F/0C. But LiFESO4 can still discharge just fine usually down to -4F/-20C. Is there any system that takes advantage of this? For instance I would like to show up to my cabin in the winter and turn on my inverter and use my batteries below freezing but be ensured that the batteries will not start charging (generator or solar) until the cabin and batteries have warmed up. Does anyone make a temperature sensor reverse current controller? I'm looking at all-in-one systems but I don't mind putting an extra component inline if it does what I want it to.

They do not "disconnect." The vast majority of BMS behave by cutting off charge at near 0°C separate from the discharge cutoff at -20°C

Thanks, I can see now that a lot of the BMS can have different charge and discharge temperatures.
Looks like a lot of batteries are starting to have that built in as well. That might be a cleaner solution for me.

Back