diy solar

diy solar

Almost really bad.

A.Justice

Swears he didn't start that fire.
I dropped a key ring while I was leaning over to check the status of my batteries, The keys fell out of my pocket and landed just millimeters away from bridging my main two battery terminals. Lesson learned about giving the two terminals a little more space from each other. It's a 12 volt system, so I wasn't worried it too much about terminal spacing and arcing, lesson learned though, separate those terminals.

Screenshot_20231227-135300_Gallery.jpg

I definitely need to grab a set of these, thanks dude. There's very little metal exposure on my terminals, but apparently there's enough to be an issue. I have something similar on my vehicles. Next on the prime list...

No kidding. Probably being impossible to replace/make copies of that key if it touched the other terminal.
Luckily that key was from a spare ring, and I have another copy, but yeah, it probably would have blown it into about nothing. Those batteries will easily put out a thousand amps during a short, Even with a class t, current would run for long enough to blow that key into molten steel. I have a knife that I completely blew the tip off of working on a spa, it's scary AF when metal starts to vaporize electrically.

You can repurpose rubber hose as tough guards for battery cables. Unlike tape, shouldn't get punctured by metal hitting it.
Just don't use for higher voltage, and don't leave conductive materials in contact because it may not be perfect insulation.

@Danke

I found the pictures of the exploded knife, that was just an arc across split phase hots.

Screenshot_20231229-103033_Photos.jpg

And because I like that knife so much... Cut off the tip to make a tanto.
Screenshot_20231229-103040_Photos.jpg

If it was me:
Drop the keys,
keys hit the terminals,
arcflash takes a bite out of the keys,
second degree burns arm,
can't get to the hospital,
key doesn't work in the car!!

Good post, reminds us of how a simple inexpensive change can be far safer.
That's actually an incredibly realistic and scary situation, I never even considered that. I tend to have bad luck also, so I'm glad that didn't happen.

That's actually an incredibly realistic and scary situation, I never even considered that. I tend to have bad luck also, so I'm glad that didn't happen.
I should have included:
Dead short takes out main Class T fuse,
Lights all go out,
Seeing stars from the arc flash,
Trying to find the keys in the dark,
Burn fingers picking up red hot keys,
...Murphy was an optimist!

I never tried it, but have wondered about using plasti-dip liquid = that stuff for tool handles.
I was thinking to get black and red, and then I can colour code as well as protect 'stuff'. Especially for awkward shapes.
I have seen online this stuff can be painted onto things that you can't actually dip into the can, and I think you could remove it when needed as well.

If you have a 3D printer you could easily scale these to fit the area your working with.

Something like this might work without any modifications.

I should go extrude some filament the suns coming out ?

Edit speliing

Last edited:
I never tried it, but have wondered about using plasti-dip liquid = that stuff for tool handles.
I was thinking to get black and red, and then I can colour code as well as protect 'stuff'. Especially for awkward shapes.
I have seen online this stuff can be painted onto things that you can't actually dip into the can, and I think you could remove it when needed as well.
Liquid electrical tape comes in red and black, I think.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-liquid-electrical-tape-118-ml-0388015p.html

any good/cheap large lug covers? [eg 1/0, 2/0] when i built my homemade EVs i cut up an old bicycle tire tube into rectangles and zip tied them on as a cover flap over the lug but it would be nice to find a better solution

A little tape takes no time and the amount of safety it adds is huge.

Attachments

• 1A8D4F02-D1A0-4173-82C4-E69A5C70B4BD.jpeg
    1A8D4F02-D1A0-4173-82C4-E69A5C70B4BD.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 39
any good/cheap large lug covers? [eg 1/0, 2/0] when i built my homemade EVs i cut up an old bicycle tire tube into rectangles and zip tied them on as a cover flap over the lug but it would be nice to find a better solution

I don't have a 3-D printer, (oldest took it with him when he got his own home) but I do have a CNC!
Low-Tech approach seems better...
I bought some plasti dip today - I didn't realize this is available in spray cans now ( (y) ) I got a can each of Red and Black.
I am going to do a test with two battery terminals, see if I can build up the thickness a bit with multi-coats. Will report back how it turns out!

Back