diy solar

diy solar

Am I in my right mind?

Mking

Can someone tell if I have it right in my mind- I am building four sets of 4x3.2v300a battery each with its own 200ah BMS. Eventually, I want to build up to a 14Kw battery backup for an off-grid power (Battery) supply for my new house. Right now I have 28 x 280W (32V) Poly solar panels. Currently, I am consuming between 1450-2300wats per hour during the day and 480-1100watts at night after dinner. I want tho have as much amperage as possible that is why I am using 3.2v300Ah Lithium Phosphate battery cells. During summer we use up 9-11Kw of power however my current system produces 22.5kw per day and this goes back into the grid through a Fronius Grid-tied Inverter for which I receive very good money from the power company.
My question is I where can I buy a Hybrid Solar charge 12-24 -48volts inverter to give me 240VAC at 100 amps.
All I see in the market place are 48V inverters at that amperage. I want an MPPT Hybrid solar Charge inverter that can receive 12-24-48 volts from the PV array without cooking itself out of existence
I do not want to sacrifice my amperage and run the 12volt batteries in series and cut my power by using 24 volts or worst 48volts The way I see it it would be a waste of money to drop my amperage because of the inverter. If I use 8-9 Batteries 12v 300Ah I can achieve 10Kw or 12 batteries will give me 14Kw. The cost of wiring is not an issue because the inverter can be withing three feet of the Batteries bank. From the inverter goes to the house in 100 amp standard wiring Someone out there may be able to help me out please

You are not in your right mind.

Probably some hybrid inverters have MPPT, also charge controllers up to about 250 Voc, or grid-tie string inverters up to 600 Voc (AC coupled to a battery inverter) can do that with whatever voltage your hybrid or battery inverter uses. A 48V battery system will be best.

240 VAC at 100A for 24kW would be 2000A draw at 12V (plus more for inefficiency). A 2/0 wire is reasonable for 200A, so if you can find a 2.4 kW 12V inverter that supports paralleing, you could then buy 10 inverters and wire the all in parallel, each with its own 2/0 battery cable.

The 4x Sunny Island in my picture delivers 120/240 VAC 23 kW continuously (96A), 28 kW (117A) for 30 minutes, assuming 23 degrees C ambient.
So that is about what you are looking for, but by disabling excessive loads (maybe electric dryer and electric furnace?) during power failures you can make a more reasonable system.

Using a higher voltage battery bank doesn't waste any amperage. To produce 120 VAC 10 A (1200W), neglecting inefficiencies, requires 12 VDC 100 A or 24 VDC 50 A or 28 VDC 25A. Since you can put your four 12.8V 300 Ah batteries in series or parallel to make any of those voltages, they will each deliver the same current in all cases. The inverter and charge controller electronics designed for 48V will probably be more efficient, and a 12/24/48V charge controller will probably be more efficient at 48V due to inherent voltage drops and resistance of its transistors.

Just go 48V battery for that size system. Set maximum and minimum charge state of the batteries to avoid shortening life. Arrange to shed unnecessary loads for night time or battery getting low, and find loads to dump excess power to if batteries getting full (all for off-grid situation)

You may find some hybrid inverters that can back feed the grid for grid-tie. Your Fronius may play nice with some battery inverters if it responds to frequency shift by reducing power output. If it doesn't it will drop off for 5 minutes at a time, then come back at full power, causing batteries to cycle. That might be OK for a short while, but you could replace it with a new or used grid-tie inverter that does play nice.

Last edited:
Back