diy solar

diy solar

Amazon scam

STW

So I ordered 4 - 100 watt HQST solar panels off Amazon on Black Friday. The listing said they were in stock and available to ship. I still have not received a shipping date so I contacted Amazon today. First they told me my local distribution center did not have them and they would have to be sent from another. I asked where that was and then they changed their story. They now said they were waiting for them to arrive from supplier. I checked the listing again and they said they were in stock. Their response was that I could cancel the order. I requested they update the listing to say backordered instead of tricking people into ordering from them. Buyer beware!

I get that you're unhappy with the situation. I get that you feel like Amazon is not providing the customer service you expect, but...

Is it your position that Amazon intends to swindle you out of your money, or are engaging in an attempt to commit fraud against you?

If your answer is no, "scam" is a silly word to use.

An awful lot of the product on amazon are from independent resellers. It's always a bit of a crapshoot with them on when you'll actually get your stuff. Their entire solution for any problem is to cancel the order or return it. Just don't do that too often or they'll blacklist you. LOL

HQST are the same people as Renogy. 'Nuff said. :rolleyes:
Consider Rich Solar, Windy Nation, AZ Wind & Sun, even Home Depot is getting into the biz - their 'nature power' brand is decent, and CHEAP.

I have been seeing this more and more with Amazon, right now I am waiting a replacement data cable from Amazon, which showed in stock with 3-4 day delivery when I ordered it on Black Friday (11-26), it finally shipped yesterday (Thursday 12-2), and has an expected delivery date of Tuesday 12-7. I am really hopping it gets here as I leave to go out of town on 12-9.

Amazon is not vetting their suppliers very well, then are not nice to deal with as a supplier. They have been giving bigger bonuses to new hires, than their 20 year vets, so there are a lot of ticked off employees. Most of Amazon’s products are just a bunch of junk from China, marked up 10-100X. Good luck. I buy a ton from Aliblabla, Amazon etc. Customer service is not what it used to be.

Bait and switch, *maybe*. Poor service, probably. Scam, no. (A true scam intends to defraud, and would never offer to cancel for a refund.) Sadly this is becoming more common as the supply chain becomes a big, hot mess.

I ordered a Weize 30amp mppt charge controller off Amazon. It came as a small heavy cardboard box (the actual product packaging) inside a much larger cardboard box with absolutely no packing material. Poor packaging like this and just not receiving the item although it shows delevered, is why I'm using Amazon less and ebay more. At least the charge controller appears to be working.

It's the season. Things are very unstable during November and December. Take a deep breath. I've had several orders that have gotten all the way to "out for delivery" and then BOOM!!! Delayed another day or two. Very frustrating, but not insurmountable. I remember the old days of ordering from the Harbor Freight catalog and selecting "free shipping". It would sometimes take a few weeks for stuff to show up. Amazon has us so darn spoiled now that we are mad if something takes three days instead of one or two.

But no, this is probably not really technically a scam.

Update. Talked to at least 3 different people at Amazon, including supervisor.

- I was told it was not in my local facility and had to wait for it to arrive from another Amazon distribution center.
- Was then told it was actually not on stock and would have to wait until it was.
- Vendor confirmed they were in stock, but Amazon is fulfilled so it was on them.
- Amazon then said yes it is in stock, but I would have to cancel and reorder to fix issue.
- Amazon went down today… man the things they will do to not ship my panels!

In the end I cancelled the order and went to EBay. Maybe I will get them from ther…. And I got a better price from SAME vendor (HqST).

BTW. I ordered the HQST panels due to a size limitation I have. Only a couple panel would fit.

It's the season. Things are very unstable during November and December. Take a deep breath. I've had several orders that have gotten all the way to "out for delivery" and then BOOM!!! Delayed another day or two. Very frustrating, but not insurmountable. I remember the old days of ordering from the Harbor Freight catalog and selecting "free shipping". It would sometimes take a few weeks for stuff to show up. Amazon has us so darn spoiled now that we are mad if something takes three days instead of one or two.

But no, this is probably not really technically a scam.
I have same experience (delay delivery) with Fedex and USPS, especially in the month of Nov/Dec. Lesson learn: lower your expectation for delivery no matter where you purchase your items. Also potential the item might be lost or delivered to wrong address.

An awful lot of the product on amazon are from independent resellers. It's always a bit of a crapshoot with them on when you'll actually get your stuff. Their entire solution for any problem is to cancel the order or return it. Just don't do that too often or they'll blacklist you. LOL

HQST are the same people as Renogy. 'Nuff said. :rolleyes:
Consider Rich Solar, Windy Nation, AZ Wind & Sun, even Home Depot is getting into the biz - their 'nature power' brand is decent, and CHEAP.
Thanks for the info regarding HQST and Renogy. I puchased a single 100w HQST panel and was confused to see a charge from Renogy on my credit card for the exact same amount as the HQST purchase. Guess I have nothing to worry about.

I've been using my Jackery out on the patio and didn't want to hassle with my 720 watt array. The 100w panel and extension cables were cheap enough to just build a dedicated solar system for Jackery units. I just ordered a Bluetti AC50s that has a max solar input of 125w, so the panel will be good enough to charge it. Same 8mm barrel plug as the Jackery.

Fex ex destroyed two panels that were being shipped to me. Finally went and bought local.

I started buying a SunCast plastic cabinet from Amazon in late July --- It would track all the way to close to my city --go out for delivery and the disappear --- _ purchased it 3 times from Amazon receiving a total of $165 of gift card for my troubles -- Order number 4 was from Office Depot -- Same crap -- out for delivery then poof like magic disappear ---- I purchased a 5th time from Amazon and Poof it was delivered 11/8 -- I'm still in shock I got it finally --- It became an ongoing joke -- The good thing about Amazon is their refund policy

Amazon executed a brilliant business strategy. Note that I did not say a user friendly one, or any other descriptor positive or negative. They offered great service, and cheap prices. Now that they rule the roost, and everyone depends on them, they have jacked their prices up to the point where the items are often above suggested retail.

In most cases, the items I want are less expensive elsewhere. I always try to buy from people I hope to continue to do business with. Better yet, with people who provide service and support.

As I see it, Amazon puts other businesses out of business, and just accelerates the demise of local support, and local jobs. The People have voted (with their wallets) they want fast and cheap.

Amazon executed a brilliant business strategy. Note that I did not say a user friendly one, or any other descriptor positive or negative. They offered great service, and cheap prices. Now that they rule the roost, and everyone depends on them, they have jacked their prices up to the point where the items are often above suggested retail.

In most cases, the items I want are less expensive elsewhere. I always try to buy from people I hope to continue to do business with. Better yet, with people who provide service and support.

As I see it, Amazon puts other businesses out of business, and just accelerates the demise of local support, and local jobs. The People have voted (with their wallets) they want fast and cheap.
For certain items, I try to support local brick and mortar stores especially if they are independently owned. Sporting goods stores come to mind. But for some items, you can't beat the convenience of having something delivered at a competitive price. I monitor traffic in front of my house with Wyze cams and there is a consistent flow of delivery vehicles from Amazon, UPS, Fedex, and others on our cul-de-sac. I guess my neighbors have the same experiences as me.

Is this also the Wal-Mart Concept --- they put a store in your area --- basically undercut every small business -- and if you're lucky they stay open in your town -- In the little town of Bunkie, La they came in and after every one else threw in the towel --they decided it wasn't profitable enough to stay open

For certain items, I try to support local brick and mortar stores especially if they are independently owned. Sporting goods stores come to mind. But for some items, you can't beat the convenience of having something delivered at a competitive price ability to even get something.
FTFY! :) Trying to find most things locally, especially solar stuff, is pretty much an Online-Only thing. Nobody around here sells solar equipment to enthusiasts other than small ( >25w Amorphous and overpriced PWM's) useless parts. Sadly, the best supplier for solar enthusiasts out here is Harbor Freight because they at least have 1 Mono 100w panel. :(

Other than that, if someone Does carry something worthwhile, it's WWWAAAYY overpriced. I.E. $450 for a 215w panel. $75 for a 35Ah AGM.

I wouldn't mind paying a little more to shop locally, but 100%+ more is ridiculous!

Last edited:
Back