diy solar

diy solar

Ampere time LiFePO4 question

j.byron

I bought 2 Ampere Time LiFePO4 12v 200 amp batteries and connected the and series. I connected them to my charge controller a Triron4210N with a MT50 as an interface. I have run into a couple of problems that I am hoping that someone can help with. The best setting I could select was "Sealed" then select "User" I tried to set the parameters double that was in the product overview. I tried to set the Over voltage Disconnect to 30 volts but the lowest I could go was 31 volts without getting an error. The product overview did not any listing for Temp Comp. Coeff 3 mv/C/2V. I sit it to Temp Comp. Coeff 0 mv/C/2V.
Can any one please provide the complete setup listings for the two LiFePO4 12V 200 Ah batteries in series.
Thank you,
J.

So temp correction isn’t needed for LiFePo, that’s a FLA thing.

You just need low temp charging cut off.

As for the overvoltage disconnect, the manual says user can set it to 9v-17v (x2 for 48v)

Make sure the other high voltage settings aren’t higher than this as that’s prob confusing the internal logic.

Last edited:
Ampere Time is now Li Time. Go to LiTime's website for the exact charge settings (in pdf form) that come with the batteries in paper form:

litime.com

If you can't find what you need on the website or otherwise find your exact AmpereTime battery model, also consider emailing their support folks:

service@litime.com

Don't forget that your charge controller/interface might also have "firmware upgrades" available, and newer settings might open up if you bump up your firmware levels. Failing that, reach out to the charge controller folks, and see if they'll help with "equivalent" settings, especially once you have the AmpereTime settings in front of you.

Hope this helps ...

So temp correction isn’t needed for LiFePo, that’s a FLA thing.

You just need low temp charging cut off.

As for the overvoltage disconnect, the manual says user can set it to 9v-17v (x2 for 48v)

Make sure the other high voltage settings aren’t higher than this as that’s prob confusing the internal logic.
I thank you for your help and your time to answer.

Ampere Time is now Li Time. Go to LiTime's website for the exact charge settings (in pdf form) that come with the batteries in paper form:

litime.com

If you can't find what you need on the website or otherwise find your exact AmpereTime battery model, also consider emailing their support folks:

service@litime.com

Don't forget that your charge controller/interface might also have "firmware upgrades" available, and newer settings might open up if you bump up your firmware levels. Failing that, reach out to the charge controller folks, and see if they'll help with "equivalent" settings, especially once you have the AmpereTime settings in front of you.

Hope this helps ...
Yes, this help. Thank you.

I bought 2 Ampere Time LiFePO4 12v 200 amp batteries and connected the and series. I connected them to my charge controller a Triron4210N with a MT50 as an interface. I have run into a couple of problems that I am hoping that someone can help with. The best setting I could select was "Sealed" then select "User" I tried to set the parameters double that was in the product overview. I tried to set the Over voltage Disconnect to 30 volts but the lowest I could go was 31 volts without getting an error. The product overview did not any listing for Temp Comp. Coeff 3 mv/C/2V. I sit it to Temp Comp. Coeff 0 mv/C/2V.
Can any one please provide the complete setup listings for the two LiFePO4 12V 200 Ah batteries in series.
Thank you,
J.
I got the data sheet from Ampere. I still have setting that can't set. The setting for Equalizer Charging Voltage is supposed to be 28 volts, but the lowest I can set it with out getting an error is 29 volts. Any suggestions? Should I worry about the 1 extra volt?
Thank you,

J.

Equilisation volts cannot be set lower than charging volts, boost volts. Set equilisation duration to 0 minutes or as low as possible
The charge voltage settings you have received are most likely too high for the batteries and will cause BMS shutdown.
The batteries must be changed separately as 12v batteries, before connecting in series.

Mike

Thank you,
J.
Attach is the information that Ampere has supplied me. I just need to be able to change the equalization voltage from 29 to 28 volts. But when I try to lower to 28 volts. The controller gives an error.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726-083834_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726-083834_Gmail.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 5
The SCC you are using is wildly used without issues sounds like you need to read the manual cover to cover.

ust need to be able to change the equalization voltage from 29 to 28 volts. But when I try to lower to 28 volts. The controller gives an error.
Did you read what I suggested? equilisation volts cannot be lower than boost volts.

The settings you have been given are not ideal.
These are the settings that relate to charging, with values I recomend.

Equilisation volts = set the same as boost volts
Float volts = 27.0
Boost volts = 28.4
Equilisation duration = 10 minutes ( idealy zero but may cause odd operation)
Boost duration = 30 minutes

Now due to cell inbalance it's probable the batteries won't charge up to boost volts as given by Ampere, 28.4 is still more than adequate to charge. However there still may be issues that require the voltage to be lower. See how you get on and report.
Don't forget to charge each battery to full as a 12v battery, before connecting in series.

Mike

Did you read what I suggested? equilisation volts cannot be lower than boost volts.

Float volts = 27.0
Boost volts = 28.4

Now due to cell inbalance it's probable the batteries won't charge up to boost volts as given by Ampere, 28.4 is still more than adequate to charge. However there still may be issues that require the voltage to be lower. See how you get on and report.
Don't forget to charge each battery to full as a 12v battery, before connecting in series.

Mike
Hi Mike, thank you again for your help and information. I will work on it Friday, just too hot to work in a shed that has no A/C in south texas.

Float volts = 27.0
Boost volts = 28.4

Mike
Hi Mike, success! Got the controller to work with those settings you gave me. The batteries are balanced at 13.1 volts. I will connecting the solar panels here shortly.
Thanks alot.
J.

Hi Mike, success! Got the controller to work with those settings you gave me. The batteries are balanced at 13.1 volts. I will connecting the solar panels here shortly.
Thanks alot.
J.
Well hooking up to the panels didn't go well. charge controller wasn't showing any power from the panels. I heard popping sounds, I think came from the charge controller. I also heard liquid sounds dripping on to something hot in the charge controller I checked my array it was putting out 70 volts. My inverter still works. My MT50 is dead. But the lights on the charge controller are still working. Any suggestions???

Thanks alot.
J.
Not sure it was explained to you or not, equalization is not a setting that lifepo4 batteries use. You want to turn it off or disable it any way possible. It doesn’t matter what voltage you set it to. AS LONG AS you’re able to set equalization duration to 0 minutes, or some other way to effectively disable equalization. The reason that equalization settings are even on your charge controller is it is designed to work with flooded lead acid batteries as well, which do require equalization occasionally.

Not sure it was explained to you or not, equalization is not a setting that lifepo4 batteries use. You want to turn it off or disable it any way possible. It doesn’t matter what voltage you set it to. AS LONG AS you’re able to set equalization duration to 0 minutes, or some other way to effectively disable equalization. The reason that equalization settings are even on your charge controller is it is designed to work with flooded lead acid batteries as well, which do require equalization occasionally.
I got that part taken care of. I did get the settings correct in the charge controller. But when I hooked up the solar panels I heard popping and sounds of liquid landing on hot items. Nothing was wet.

I got that part taken care of. I did get the settings correct in the charge controller. But when I hooked up the solar panels I heard popping and sounds of liquid landing on hot items. Nothing was wet.

Yikes, doesn't sound good. Did you figure out why?

Yikes, doesn't sound good. Did you figure out why?
I have had the charge controller stored for 3 years might have gotten broken or I didn't hook everything up in the right sequence. I have I ordered an new controller that Will recommends, with a MT50.

Back