diy solar

diy solar

An Introduction...

DXHum

After a few posts and a long and unavoidable absence, I'm happy to be back on the forum.

I try to get through life as independently as possible. It is why solar energy appeals to me. When properly deployed, it frees you from being dependent on utility companies.

I have several battery backup systems in my home to support the critical things, like my saltwater aquariums if there is a power outage. And I rely on the electric company to recharge my battery backups when the power returns.

For extended outages, I rely on a Honda 3000is generator to run these systems during the day, while recharging battery backups at the same time for overnight use.

Recently, I began to think; what if power is down for an extended period of time and gas stations are unable to pump gasoline. Once my gas supply runs dry, I'm without any power at all.

Because of this, I'd like to add a solar component to my backup system, giving a method of recharging my batteries in the event of an extended outage and no gasoline to run the generator.

I've been looking at the Renogy 400 Watt 12 volt mono-crystalline solar panel bundle kit. It seems ample to recharge 4 deep cycle marine batteries within 5-6 hours, which is about all the direct sunlight I get in a day.

In a perfect world, I would like to eliminate the generator completely. But right now, with the amount of sunlight I get, I may need a combination of both.

Currently, I am compiling a list of essential devices and their power requirements. Once this is done, I should be able to calculate to power requirements.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed with this project?

I'd like to get it installed before the height of the hurricane season, which is upon us.

Thank you!

How many solar panels do you have room for? I say go with as many of the highest watt panels as you can get. I like my Victron charge controllers because they can safely support Isc 70a, so you can overpanel / parallel a lot of strings on them to still get decent performance even in the cloudy weather.

My preference is generally not to buy bundles and just piece together the components I want. Also keep in mind that 400w is only close to 400w in best case scenario. I have the 8x 405w solar panels, and at best case in Summer clear skies I can only pull about 2700w (and maybe 500w in cloudy cover). So I am doubling my panel count now (to parallel into each charge controller) to help make up for lower output when clouds get in the way. I would always size for worse case scenario.

Another generator option is to use propane fuel, and get a large stationary tank. My Mother has a 500 Gallon propane which runs their furnace and hot water heater for many months, and have a generator plumbed into it as well. Trucks have to come and fill the tank maybe every 6 months. They live out in the county, in rural area.

Last edited:
How many solar panels do you have room for? I say go with as many panels as you can get. I like my Victron charge controllers because they can safely support Isc 70a, so you can overpanel / parallel a lot of strings on them to still get decent performance even in the cloudy weather.

My preference is generally not to buy bundles and just piece together the components I want. Also keep in mind that 400w is only close to 400w in best case scenario. I have the 8x 405w solar panels, and at best case in Summer clear skies I can only pull about 2700w (and maybe 500w in cloudy cover). So I am doubling my panel count now (to parallel into each charge controller) to help make up for lower output when clouds get in the way. I would always size for worse case scenario.

Another generator option is to use propane fuel, and get a large stationary tank. My Mother has a 500 Gallon propane which runs their furnace and hot water heater for many months, and have a generator plumbed into it as well. Trucks have to come and fill the tank maybe every 6 months. They live out in the county, in rural area.

Propane is not an option. Fire code prohibits its use in my area.

I have two locations in my yard that get good afternoon sunlight. The first area is about 15' x 8'.

The second area is 21' x 10' but only about 15' is usable as the remainder doesn't get much sun.

With that in mind, I would need to know the footprint dimensions of a floor-standing panel. These panels would not be roof mounted. In the event that I sell and move (which is in my future), I would like to take the system with me.

I'm glad I posted first before purchasing this:
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Solar-Premium-Monocrystalline-Controller,
as I was not aware of the "best case scenario" you mentioned in your reply.

I was reading the DIY Solar Blueprints. It was there that I found the above link. For what its worth, I was looking at that system prior to seeing it in the DIY section.

I have learned that there are two types of controllers; MPPT and PWM. And from what I can see, MPPT controllers are preferable.

Again, I have the skill set to put together the components. But I don't have the experience to piece together a system, which is why I have been shopping for "kits".

Thank you for the reply!

I’m taking a swing on these…

Might be good, and far less than renogy panels.

I’m taking a swing on these…

Might be good, and far less than renogy panels.

I think for my first setup, I'd prefer a complete system. Doesn't that make sense?

Idk, building your own setup with parts you configure lets you learn more.
But it’s up to you.

Well... my concern would be mis-matching panels with controllers. Plus, I have some, but not all the tools.

I did a lot of wiring and terminating with CAT5e/6 along with coax and other A/V termination. I know how to use a soldering iron.

The kits come with pre-terminated lengths of cable. What I don't like about pre-made cables is that they aren't to length which can result in loss when you coil the extra.

Most kits I've looked at have everything except an inverter. This is my inverter... Is this inverter suitable?

That inverter appears to be a modified sine wave trucker inverter. I see them in truck stops all the time.
It wouldn't be my first choice inverter.

It is ALWAYS best to plan before buying anything

Plan what you will be powering and for how long.
Plan how much battery is needed, and Plan how much solar it will take to maintain them.

That inverter appears to be a modified sine wave trucker inverter. I see them in truck stops all the time.
It wouldn't be my first choice inverter.

It is ALWAYS best to plan before buying anything

Plan what you will be powering and for how long.
Plan how much battery is needed, and Plan how much solar it will take to maintain them.

That inverter is something I've had for about 6 years. It is what I use to support my saltwater aquariums off battery during outages. I have it, so I want to use it.

I'm not impulsive. I once owned a 2019 Honda that I started shopping for in 2016! LOL

So yes, I always plan.

Personally I would start from a different position: how many generators do you run, and do you have fixed wiring to support them? Do you place them in the same location that you would put the solar panels?

I would get the big, unwieldy 350-420W panels rather than an amalgamation of 100W panels, but I'm a contrarian. The more pieces in the system you have the more complicated it gets to manage it and the easier it is to make mistakes. I would get an LFP battery to keep at the solar panel and have that as the one thing that is directly charged-- size it for peak daily production. Then run from there to support all your existing systems.

Back