diy solar

diy solar

And let the solar begin

Scott Off Grid

Hello, I am new to the solar scene and this is my first post. Background...because of imminent domain I am having to move myself to a new piece of property. So I figured now is as good a time as any to go with a solar power system. In preparation for the build I have been studying to get my Youtube degree and reading what I can find.

This property is raw land with no utilities. I will be building efficient homes and there will be 2 wells because it will be a horse breeding facility. I have no idea how much the power consumption this property will be, so I will be doing a lot of educated guessing and assuming.

I am assuming and hoping that this forum of solar experts will be able to guide and answer questions to limit mistakes that I will be making.

One thing I have learned is the lack of response from the companies that sell the inverters and batteries!!! I would assume they are being overwhelmed and that is causing the communication vacuum.

My first question, what is the wait time everyone is experiencing to get the items they are ordering?

Do a search for "Blurb time" under my username, it'll help point you in the right direction for figuring out which way to go.

A couple quotes that might be helpful:

"I have too much battery capacity." - Nobody Ever

"I generate too much power in summer." - Nobody Ever

"Being able to run my aircon all day while I'm running my shop equipment is overkill." - Nobody Ever

Now that Covid is more or less behind us the wait time on most items is minimal batteries depending on who and where they are coming from is probably the longest lead times

are the wells for irrigation or just stock water and domestic

One thing I have learned is the lack of response from the companies that sell the inverters and batteries!!! I would assume they are being overwhelmed and that is causing the communication vacuum.

My first question, what is the wait time everyone is experiencing to get the items they are ordering?
With a few notable exceptions the poor customer service from companies has nothing to do with being overwhelmed. Many are simply resellers of re-badged equipment or components from a wholesaler who has bought from the manufacturer (Chinese) who has not hired any people to handle or deal with consumer questions and problems. The retailer may have hired some help desk people and given them a script to answer common questions.

Wait time for products can be slight or great (verging on forever if the item is obscure, discontinued or in high demand) and it is impossible to say what you can expect without knowing first what it is you are looking to get.

Your two water wells are likely to be the hardest part of your solar setup. Depending on depth and your total water needs in GPM and gallons per day you may run into problems. I expect that horses need a lot of water. If the property does not have existing wells (and not knowing Arizona's laws regarding water rights) other issues may be in play. Just about impossible to design for the unknown.

Last edited:
I do have some basics of the build. 3 homes, 1800 sqft, 600 sqft & 600 sqft. Using the average Phoenix kwh per year usage (14,555) and average house sqft (1700), and applying that to my 3000 sqft of housing, I came up with 75kwh per day for my housing.

2 water wells, 1 is already drilled at 120 ft and will be using a 1 ½ hp motor (240v). I am assuming the 2nd well will be similar. Both will dump into holding tanks so that well pumps will only run during the day. Each well will have separate pressure systems. One well is for pasturing watering with sprinkler. The nice part is that increased water usage happens in the summer when I have more solar power.

Also a Nissan Leaf, barn lighting and three 1/3hp evap coolers (summer use) and a workshop.

My initial thoughts are to use MPP LVX6048 and SOK batteries.

2 water wells, 1 is already drilled at 120 ft and will be using a 1 ½ hp motor (240v).
Would think it important to figure out the inrush current of the well pumps. Want to make sure enough can be supplied to run both at once, or setup so that only one can run at any given time. Either way make sure whatever inverter you choose can supply the current needed. Also maybe look at 'soft starts' if possible?

With "No Idea" about power consumption, and it being a totally off grid homestead situation (power being pretty mission critical) I think you'd be a candidate for a Conext XW Pro or Two. Stackable to many to expand to pretty much any future need you might have.

I just finished an totally off grid property for a Farm and Event Venue with a Growatt 12kw and 11,800 watts of 32 solar panels. We are currently running 560Ah of DIY battery, but I expect we will need more

Do a search for "Blurb time" under my username, it'll help point you in the right direction for figuring out which way to go.

A couple quotes that might be helpful:

"I have too much battery capacity." - Nobody Ever

"I generate too much power in summer." - Nobody Ever

"Being able to run my aircon all day while I'm running my shop equipment is overkill." - Nobody Ever

I didn’t know Nobody had a last name. That’s the first time I’ve Ever heard it.

With "No Idea" about power consumption, and it being a totally off grid homestead situation (power being pretty mission critical) I think you'd be a candidate for a Conext XW Pro or Two. Stackable to many to expand to pretty much any future need you might have.

I just finished an totally off grid property for a Farm and Event Venue with a Growatt 12kw and 11,800 watts of 32 solar panels. We are currently running 560Ah of DIY battery, but I expect we will need more

after 2 prior inverters from Trace and Xantrex over the past 20 years, I finally got my XW Pro and love it. Planning to eventually get the second one someday

here is the link to the XW Pro install portion

Also the following YT channel has a XW Pro totally off grid. 75 acres, 13kw in panels and still on just one inverter
you will need to search through their VIDEOS to get the solar specific ones

Thanks for the suggestions, it's difficult to decide which inverter and battery to go with. They each have there pros and cons. I have budgeted $50,000 for the solar power system. Want to get the biggest bang for the dollar.

With a $50k budget, I'd be liking a kid in a candy store. And definitely be building to tier 1 gear (Schneider , Victron , Outback)

Are you going to need Code Compliant UL 1741 gear? That would also be a consideration.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, it's difficult to decide which inverter and battery to go with. They each have there pros and cons. I have budgeted $50,000 for the solar power system. Want to get the biggest bang for the dollar.
$50k before tax incentives or after? I'm assuming you're going to do a DIY build. $50k will go quite a ways DIY. Even farther if that's after tax incentives. If you hire it done, not so much.

On the supply chain thing, I ordered the 30kwh battery package from Signature Solar last Thursday morning. They sent me tracking info within two hours and the batteries arrived Friday afternoon. Taking into account I'm only 3.5 hours away, that's still pretty quick service. I know there's a lot of negative experience with SS posted here, but personally I haven't had any problems. But I've only had a couple of support questions with them, nothing serious.

With a $50k budget, I'd be liking a kid in a candy store. And definitely be building to tier 1 gear (Schneider , Victron , Outback)

Are you going to need Code Compliant UL 1741 gear? That would also be a consideration.
Code compliant.... Nothing that I know of yet. Since I am NOT connecting to the grid the only requirement I have found is a drawing of the system with labeling and showing how the parts are connected. I've learned talking to planning and development is useless until I am actually in the process. They seem to be unable to answer any questions with specifics unless they are looking at paperwork.

$50k before tax incentives or after? I'm assuming you're going to do a DIY build. $50k will go quite a ways DIY. Even farther if that's after tax incentives. If you hire it done, not so much.
No tax incentives. Yep developing most of the property myself and that includes the solar power system. I will be having an electrician backing me up. Unlike plumbing, electricity will kill me. There is no way I could hire all the work done on the equity from of this house. I got an estimate to have the same solar system built for me that I am going to build, they want between $150,000 and $200,000. Everything I got estimates for were the same way. For what I can build for about $500,000 would cost north of $1,500,000 to have done.

No tax incentives. Yep developing most of the property myself and that includes the solar power system. I will be having an electrician backing me up. Unlike plumbing, electricity will kill me. There is no way I could hire all the work done on the equity from of this house. I got an estimate to have the same solar system built for me that I am going to build, they want between $150,000 and $200,000. Everything I got estimates for were the same way. For what I can build for about $500,000 would cost north of $1,500,000 to have done.
That seems to be the norm anymore. My only other advice is something I advise on any construction project - allow at least 10% and easily 20% for going over budget. I actually managed to stay within budget on my solar project but for me that's the exception, not the rule. And I shopped around a lot for the best value.

That seems to be the norm anymore. My only other advice is something I advise on any construction project - allow at least 10% and easily 20% for going over budget. I actually managed to stay within budget on my solar project but for me that's the exception, not the rule. And I shopped around a lot for the best value.
I'm a good thrifty shopper, lots of auctions here for amazon and home depot, also construction liquidation places. Since I am building most of it, I can adjust the build outs as I acquire materials. I missed one of the auctions that had a new Sungold power 6048 inverter, sold for $800 plus 15% auction fee. I am trying to stay away from the convenience of Big Box stores. If the state and I could agree on an amount that would help, but I am trying best to create a budget with an overrun amount. $50,000 for the solar power system sounds great, but for my potential power requirements it is barely enough I'm sad to say.

I'm a good thrifty shopper, lots of auctions here for amazon and home depot, also construction liquidation places. Since I am building most of it, I can adjust the build outs as I acquire materials. I missed one of the auctions that had a new Sungold power 6048 inverter, sold for $800 plus 15% auction fee. I am trying to stay away from the convenience of Big Box stores. If the state and I could agree on an amount that would help, but I am trying best to create a budget with an overrun amount. $50,000 for the solar power system sounds great, but for my potential power requirements it is barely enough I'm sad to say.
The good news is that batteries and tech components such as AIO seem to be continuing a downward trend in pricing and maybe some improvement in quality. If I had waited another year I could have saved a thousand or two, but then that's always going to be the case. At some point you just have to pull the trigger. Good luck and I know you'll find plenty of help here when and if you need it. I know I would have been challenged to complete my project as quickly or as well without the experience and advice available on this forum.

Back