diy solar

diy solar

any help or ideas for a newbie

Fantastic batteries those powersafe's . You've got 9kwh capacity if you take them down all the way to 0%soc (which is ok on these, don't worry about any 50% rule, these big yellows are built like a tank)

Fantastic batteries those powersafe's . You've got 9kwh capacity if you take them down all the way to 0%soc (which is ok on these, don't worry about any 50% rule, these big yellows are built like a tank)
except his shit is shutting down... back to the main issue.
well obviously they are not that buit like a tank or the OP wouod not have posted this. everything else you said is worthless. back to basics. were they fully charged? to what voltage? for how long? what kind of connections didi he have or not have? Is he running a modified sine wave inverter? please bow out.

???? you sure he she it is not running a modified sine wave(or a cheap sine wave that is lying) ... back to basics folks.
Hi This is my inverter, batteries and heat pump below (4 batts)

When its on load with the heat pump the voltage definitely drops as i had my meter on the supply side on my consumer unit the inverter powers. It runs the smaller pool water pump fine, also when the heat p[ump was on the battery % drops off really quick,i have impedance tested the batts and they came back at 2.6m ohms,data sheet states it should be around 3.5 m ohms, i get the lower the resistance the higher the current but i cant see why this would make them drain quickly or not keep the heat pump powered.
Unless these battery's cant hold the charge under load

This is my inverter below invert.jpgcdbatt.jpg 1687522065179.png

Hi This is my inverter, batteries and heat pump below (4 batts)

When its on load with the heat pump the voltage definitely drops as i had my meter on the supply side on my consumer unit the inverter powers. It runs the smaller pool water pump fine, also when the heat p[ump was on the battery % drops off really quick,i have impedance tested the batts and they came back at 2.6m ohms,data sheet states it should be around 3.5 m ohms, i get the lower the resistance the higher the current but i cant see why this would make them drain quickly or not keep the heat pump powered.
Unless these battery's cant hold the charge under load

This is my inverter below View attachment 154069cdView attachment 154070 View attachment 154071

Are you able to individually capacity test each battery

One by one, fully charge each battery , stick a 12v inverter on , with a load and a power metering plug , you should get about 2kwh~ before the battery hits 10.5v

you gave a few very easily put out specs for you split pac or A/C. (heat pump) I must apologize, give a spec sheet for your inverter/converter/ inverter charger... can it honestly handle the load of your heat pump. this is first and foremost. I am sorry but offering screen shots of your AC/heat pump only answers half of the question. the question is can your inverter charger/AIO properly power your split pack which is what you are calling an inverter... most people on this forum refer to an inverter as the thing on the wall that changes DC into AC.

you gave a few very easily put out specs for you split pac or A/C. (heat pump) I must apologize, give a spec sheet for your inverter/converter/ inverter charger... can it honestly handle the load of your heat pump. this is first and foremost. I am sorry but offering screen shots of your AC/heat pump only answers half of the question. the question is can your inverter charger/AIO properly power your split pack which is what you are calling an inverter... most people on this forum refer to an inverter as the thing on the wall that changes DC into AC.
Inverter Output:

Continuous output power = 2400W

Output power (15min) = 3000W

Overload Power (5s) = 4800W

Max. surge power = 6000W

Output voltage range = 220VA +/-5%, 230VAC (-10% ~ +5%)

Output frequency = 50/60+/-0.1 Hz

Output mode = Single phase

Output wave = Pure Sine Wave

Inverter Output:

Max. surge power = 6000W

Inverter Output:

Max. surge power = 6000W

ok the earlier screen shot gave a 900 watts max pull (i doubt) and your inverter gave a 2400 watts max output. how much is your house load minus the heat pump? or is the heat pump the only load on the circuit? if only load, how are your connections? (be honest) torqued, proper fittings, ox guard etc. how thick are the cables? (actual copper thickness) not the insulation. power drop is a real thing, bad connections are a real thing, shitty batteries are a real thing. so eleminate the ones you can for free.

are the connections tight?
are they Nickle plated copper to resist corrosion between the terminals and the lugs
are they coated with ox guard or something similar to prevent corrosion
lastly the thing I am looking at... are the cables big enough to carry the current yo need without excessive losses?

The heat pump is the only thing running from the inverter. I did connect the heat pump to my house supply and with the usage meter it said it was using just under 1kw of power, i did have other stuff on in the house as well, not much so its about right at 900w.
Cables are 16mm copper stranded, not torqued just FT.
Ive not used any ox guard, all connections are inside my garage but if i can get this working i will.
Cable running to heat pump is 1.5mm armoured cable.
What i don't understand is when under load the batteries % runs down really quick, but having a meter on each battery still shows the volts stay the same, no v drop. Its like the batterie's are buggered but the voltage stays constant.
4 x 190 APH battery's at 4 or 5 amps should give me a decent amount of time, or so i thought.
Cable used is below

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2
What i don't understand is when under load the batteries % runs down really quick, but having a meter on each battery still shows the volts stay the same, no v drop. Its like the batterie's are buggered but the voltage stays constant.

Don't worry about the % readout on your epever , that's meaningless ...

It sounds to me like one of the batteries could possibly be goosed , only one way to find out , individual capacity testing

Andy reading this again after my morning coffee,

If the voltage on each battery is stable under load , then looks like they should be are OK ....

But here's the question:

Is your inverter turning itself OFF (low battery)..... or is it keeping going , just showing a low battery symbol on the screen ??

@ 1kw load , you should be able to run for about 9 hours before the batteries drop 10.5v.

Andy reading this again after my morning coffee,

If the voltage on each battery is stable under load , then looks like they should be are OK ....

But here's the question:

Is your inverter turning itself OFF (low battery)..... or is it keeping going , just showing a low battery symbol on the screen ??

@ 1kw load , you should be able to run for about 9 hours before the batteries drop 10.5v.
It shows this elv symbol which in the manual says it’s a low voltage.My fluke on each battery shows 13v on each battery though.
The output from the inverter when under load from the heat pump varies from 190 to 230v.
I also clamped the main battery lead and that was ranging from 8A up to 20A when the compressor was trying to run,start up must be way higher than normal running.

If I can send a video on here I can show you exactly what is happening,
My kids are in the pool just now so I will turn it all back on when they get out.

Attachments

• 1DC8A288-FC25-49D1-B1BB-2C84D0955523.jpeg
    1DC8A288-FC25-49D1-B1BB-2C84D0955523.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 6
It shows this elv symbol which in the manual says it’s a low voltage.My fluke on each battery shows 13v on each battery though.
The output from the inverter when under load from the heat pump varies from 190 to 230v.
I also clamped the main battery lead and that was ranging from 8A up to 20A when the compressor was trying to run,start up must be way higher than normal running.

If I can send a video on here I can show you exactly what is happening,
My kids are in the pool just now so I will turn it all back on when they get out.

Will it run a 1kw fan heater without all these issues?

Will it run a 1kw fan heater without all these just

I’ve not got a heater but I’ve plugged the toaster into it,more or less a heater 800w with no issues
Just under 900w with that and the pool pump and no issues
I guess it’s that heat pump drawing to much current

Attachments

• 271BBDC2-DDFF-46B4-BD27-B04F5E5299D3.jpeg
    271BBDC2-DDFF-46B4-BD27-B04F5E5299D3.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 3
Will it run a 1kw fan heater without all these issues?
Also just put the hair dryer on at the same time,got to around 2kw,the battery % symbol dropped all the way down to 0 the the inverter turned off,the cables from the isolator to the inverter/batteries has melted,I’d used 2.5mm.
I will upgrade this to the same 16mm I’ve used for the batteries now,
Will the battery % symbol be dropping because of the cable being too small ?
When the % hit 0 that’s when the cables must have melted and shorted together it all happened at the same time.

Attachments

• 19D6DFE7-D163-4450-9334-923F82657ABE.png
    19D6DFE7-D163-4450-9334-923F82657ABE.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Also just put the hair dryer on at the same time,got to around 2kw,the battery % symbol dropped all the way down to 0 the the inverter turned off,the cables from the isolator to the inverter/batteries has melted,I’d used 2.5mm.
I will upgrade this to the same 16mm I’ve used for the batteries now,
Will the battery % symbol be dropping because of the cable being too small ?
When the % hit 0 that’s when the cables must have melted and shorted together it all happened at the same time.
Haha there's your problem!

Get it wired up properly then come back lol ,

Back