diy solar

diy solar

Anybody ever made a custom PCB

Craig

Watts are Watts!
Staff member
SO I am looking to build BMS sensing modules on a single board I have prototypes but would like to get custom PCB's for my project. The problem is I really do not want to learn how to CAD design a PCB. Does anybody have any knowledge they can help me with. Obviously I can provide a sketch of what I need.

Thanks!

SO I am looking to build BMS sensing modules on a single board I have prototypes but would like to get custom PCB's for my project. The problem is I really do not want to learn how to CAD design a PCB. Does anybody have any knowledge they can help me with. Obviously I can provide a sketch of what I need.

Thanks!
Actually KiCAD is really great free software. I was able to figure it out well enough to develop some simple PCB's and send out the Gerber files for PCB fabrication. Most of them were done with TH devices so I can assemble and solder them myself. The more complicated PCB with small SMT components I had assembled by a shop in San Diego. Its kind of expensive doing prototypes this way, lots of labor for hand assembly until volume is high enough to automate.
I'm working on a DIY BMS myself with the help of an engineer from Upwork. His rates are reasonable and is based in CA so no time difference to deal with. PM me if you wish to discuss. Would be happy to share my experience with custom PCB design, good and bad.

I use EasyEDA on the web browser and have boards made with JLCPCB. Post a schematic and let's see what it will take.

sketch.jpg

admittedly I suck at sketching but here is what I have

I also installed the esp32 in the wrong direction it should be spun 180 degrees

Attachments

• proto2.jpg
    proto2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 13
  • proto1.jpg
    proto1.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 13

Thanks!
Give KiCad a try! It's really not very complicated and fun to use!

I've uploaded the gerber files to JLCPCB and they charge you $2 for 1&2 layer boards (100x100mm) with drilling, solder mask, silkscreen, testing, etc. You have to buy 5 minimum, so it will be $10 total plus shipping (DHL express $16.25). For new customers they gave a $5 bonus. They even offer cheap option for PCB's with already soldered SMD components when you use components from their component repository (but I never tried this). This should not be advertisement, it's just my experience with them.

I've done this a couple of times and I'm REALLY IMPRESSED about the quality and how fast it was produced (24h) and shipped (8 days). You can (more or less) follow online how your PCB runs in detail through the production line.

I will never try to build a PCB by myself again (beside initial breadboard tests).

Here is an example of one of my orders:

MI: 2022-04-12 20:44:48
Drilling: 2022-04-12 22:16:03
Copper Deposition: 2022-04-12 22:22:02
Image the outer layers: 2022-04-12 22:56:03
Pattern Plating: 2022-04-13 01:36:55
Automatic Optical Inspection(AOI): 2022-04-13 01:41:10
Solder Mask: 2022-04-13 03:43:14
Silkscreen: 2022-04-13 07:12:12
Hot Air Solder Leveling(HASL): 2022-04-13 07:33:02
Electrical Test: 2022-04-13 08:57:52
Profiling,V-cut scoring: 2022-04-13 13:38:23
Final inspection: 2022-04-13 15:56:21
Delivery

Use as much smt components as you can, its much easier to put them in place and cook them in a toaster oven than to hand solder.

that being said dont get any parts smaller than a 0805 or you are going to need a microscope to see them.

I use altium, its a pain to learn, but works good once its figured out. I am sure theres a better one for small projects.

JLCPCB is where I get the boards built

View attachment 160161

admittedly I suck at sketching but here is what I have

I also installed the esp32 in the wrong direction it should be spun 180 degrees
Just to clarify, is the thing on the right a connector? Like a screw terminal at the top of your proto board, except 3 poles? And you want one of the analog pins connected directly to 5 volts?

Just to clarify, is the thing on the right a connector? Like a screw terminal at the top of your proto board, except 3 poles? And you want one of the analog pins connected directly to 5 volts?
Yes it is a 3 pole screw connector I wrote down 5v but actually it is vcc and can handle more or less than 5v.

Like others, I use Kicad and upload Gerber files to JLCPCB. Board quality is excellent. I use the cheapest post option (unless I'm in a hurry), which takes up to 2 weeks.

I recently designed a simple board to plug into a Raspberry Pi for a serial link to Pylontech batteries. It has an RJ45 socket and just needs a standard ethernet cable instead of a custom one. It also has options for a real-time clock and a temperature/humidity sensor.
PiLonLinkV1.0.jpg

Use as much smt components as you can, its much easier to put them in place and cook them in a toaster oven than to hand solder.

that being said dont get any parts smaller than a 0805 or you are going to need a microscope to see them.
I find 0603 parts easiest to handle with my 59 year old eyes. I use a magnifying desk lamp and either a soldering iron or hot air work station.

Will this work? I left off the DC/DC converter since it isn't on the sketch.
esp32.jpg

So yes that is exactly what I was needing. Theoretically I can send your file to JLC and they can make it for me? I may need to add a 5 channel dip switch though. But that might be on a second generation

So yes that is exactly what I was needing. Theoretically I can send your file to JLC and they can make it for me? I may need to add a 5 channel dip switch though. But that might be on a second generation
Yes, they could make it. I whipped it up pretty quick so I'm sure it could be streamlined a little. I'll do that tomorrow and email it to you if you want.

Just sharing what I've been using for the past 15 years or so, Express PCB offers their schematic and PCB software for free, and the Classic version is extremely easy to learn. They are Made in the USA (Washington State), so they're a bit more expensive than the JBL option, but delivery is a bit faster. I HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD BOARD FROM THEM! If there was a mistake, it was on my end. You can create up to 4 layers with Classic and up to 6 layers with their more advanced version (can't recall what it's called as I always just use Classic).

I'm a bit of an "instant gratification" chap so I bought a cheap NC engraver/milling machine (it's got a laser too!!)

PCB circuit and layout in EasyEDA, export Gerber then use Flatcam to go to files for the NC.

Go from circuit to PCB in less than a day (not PC mainboard size). Far easier and less error-prone than strip-board (I really hate those plug-in prototype breadboards).

I tend to do single-sided boards and add links where crossing tracks are unavoidable. As an old-git with dodgy eyes I go through-hole and pre-made modules.

Once everything is hunky-happy send the Gerber files to one of the small-run manufacturers if you want.

Back