diy solar

diy solar

Anyone else notice Victron Smart Shunt recently lost effective distance?

HalfBaked

Ever the student
My house has 15" thick interior walls made of limestone. When I first installed my Shunt, I had to walk to within sight of it to find it on my phone.

There was an update a couple months ago that was described as fix for some Bluetooth issues, don't recall exactly, anyway...

I noticed a huge improvement after the update. I could suddenly connect to the shunt 10' on the other side of the interior wall.

This improvement lasted until a couple days ago. Suddenly I'm back to having to be within sight of the shunt.

Is it just me? Was there a new update? Am I confused?

I just installed one today. I'm not having any trouble with range. It's impressive actually. Better range than an overkill bms.

I haven't noticed a difference, better or worse.
I have always had the same distance limit in my house.

I have a 712 unit…it’s been pretty consistent over a year…I will admit that much like my cell phone ,the Power Watch Dog , the Portable JBL speaker and few other Victron devices their range can vary abit now and then…on all of them…
it “ seems” the common element affecting distance is always the weather once your near their normal limit…( temp,, heavy snow , humidity, rain) …their all good but now and then they just do a little better or worse when their is big change in the weather….

Any other "frequency" changes in your environment? Certain WiFi frequencies can cause interference with Bluetooth. (Possibly a Wifi access point auto changed to a different frequency?) Even other "non-tech" devices can put out interference (thinking Microwave off the top of my head. But, that would only be while it is running)

Any gain of the basic smart shunt would be nice but the smart network linked to a SCC seems to do quite well giving generic info on the main device screen. To actually look at trends I need to be within 10ft which seems kinda poor.

It’ll be another month or two before I’m able to see if this firmware improves my range.

Back