diy solar

diy solar

Anyone familiar with these SCCs?

Just realized it’s 12v. I’m looking for a 24v inverter.
How quickly do you need to charge your battery bank? This one will do it twice as fast. The idle draw should be lower.
I have 6x 250W solar panels to charge with. At peak times, the faster the better. Just realized it is only 12v anyway *sigh*. I could just do a 12v system, but....I feel like that would be a silly choice. I suppose about a grand on an inverter isn’t so bad, in the grand scheme of things. After all, thats the last place you want to screw up a decent system.

Just realized it’s 12v. I’m looking for a 24v inverter.

I have 6x 250W solar panels to charge with. At peak times, the faster the better. Just realized it is only 12v anyway *sigh*. I could just do a 12v system, but....I feel like that would be a silly choice. I suppose about a grand on an inverter isn’t so bad, in the grand scheme of things. After all, thats the last place you want to screw up a decent system.
Wow...complete brain fart. Generator will be my backup for solar (unless shore is available) so still the faster the better.

Generator is a 5500 watt generac unit, so it can power everything and give plenty over to charge.

Right. Your solar output and solar charge controller capability have nothing to do with the charger on the inverter.
Yep. Id like to blame my dog for distraction...but he wasn’t with me...

Anyway, nice thing about these built-in transfer switches is the inverter ”cleans” the a/c supply as it passes through (at least the ones I’ve been looking at).
Right. Your solar output and solar charge controller capability have nothing to do with the charger on the inverter.
And ya know, that 12v AIMS keeps screaming at me. Think i should just spend the money on the best aims 24v i can find for ~1000?

Yep. Id like to blame my dog for distraction...but he wasn’t with me...

Anyway, nice thing about these built-in transfer switches is the inverter ”cleans” the a/c supply as it passes through (at least the ones I’ve been looking at).

And ya know, that 12v AIMS keeps screaming at me. Think i should just spend the money on the best aims 24v i can find for ~1000?
Are there better alternatives?

A bigger, more established company will probably have better support if you need it.

There are always alternatives if you're willing to spend the money. I blew my budget. I would like to blame the design change but that's not it. I bought Victron equipment so I didn't have to worry about quality, features and reliability.

...It does appear to be a knockoff of the AIMS Power inverter/charger.
or vice versa?
None of the above. Neither Aims nor Sungoldpower make the products they sell.
It is highly probable they are made by Sigineer, or possibly an unnamed manufacturer higher up the food chain.

For all we know it’s the exact same thing from the same mfg, just rebranded.
This is highly likely. Externally and Internally they look nearly identical. There is a thread or two on this somewhere (edit: found one of 'em). There are a few other brands that sold or sell similar products as well (Renogy used to, ECPC sells one, Yiyen possibly).

Sigineer sells inverters directly and is also a wholesaler and OEM/ODM, so there are small differences between some models. Its clear these are based on the same base model / design, its less clear what small differences in features, software, hardware, generation, etc, exist between brands and models. If you (or your insurance company or code inspector) cares about UL listing, I believe Sigineer and Aims both offer a few UL listed options.

If you are willing to spend $1000 for an AIMS inverter, its worth strongly considering ~1100-1300 for a Victron Multiplus or similar.

If you are willing to spend $1000 for an AIMS inverter, its worth strongly considering ~1100-1300 for a Victron Multiplus or similar.
Eh, thats blowing the budget; but it sounds like i shouldnt be willing to spend 1k on an AIMS then. I want quality AND I want cheap. ?

Yeah, if you are willing to spend ~1000 on Aims, I think a few hundred extra for a top tier inverter is a better value in the long run (keep the inverter for 5 years and the difference in cost will be between $20-60 per year, keep it for 10 years and you can half that).

But I can definitely understand not wanting to shell out that much for an inverter. Its a lot of money

Yeah, if you are willing to spend ~1000 on Aims, I think a few hundred extra for a top tier inverter is a better value in the long run (keep the inverter for 5 years and the difference in cost will be between $20-60 per year, keep it for 10 years and you can half that).

But I can definitely understand not wanting to shell out that much for an inverter. Its a lot of money
Not that I dont want to, I just want to fully understand the value I should realize with the higher investment. I dont want tech support, i want my unit replaced when there is a problem. $&@# playing games with tech support.

Thanks for the insights, folks. I’m going to shop sigineer, to see what more I can find. < 10ms transfer time is pretty impressive for a budget inverter (assuming it is not a lie or otherwise empty claim).

Is samlex considered top tier?
Most people here would say so.
I don't know about tiers, I suppose that is somewhat subjective. I think of them as (1) a reputable manufacturer (2) who make (and stand behind) a solid durable product (Samlex EVO). However, I have not owned a Samlex product before, I am solely going off my research and what others have said.

From what I recall reading, not all Samlex products should be judged the same. The EVO has a great reputation here, some of their other mid range high frequency inverters--while still probably superior to budget options--don't live up to the reputation of the EVO. So with Samlex, best to look at the reputation of the specific product as much as the brand.

I am curious to hear more about @MichaelK's perspective on Samlex.

Most people here would say so.
I don't know about tiers, I suppose that is somewhat subjective. I think of them as (1) a reputable manufacturer (2) who make (and stand behind) a solid durable product (Samlex EVO). However, I have not owned a Samlex product before, I am solely going off my research and what others have said.

From what I recall reading, not all Samlex products should be judged the same. The EVO has a great reputation here, some of their other mid range high frequency inverters--while still probably superior to budget options--don't live up to the reputation of the EVO. So with Samlex, best to look at the reputation of the specific product as much as the brand.

Thanks for your response, DZL. Based on the research I did, I got the feeling samlex put out quality products. I would like to hear more of what Michael has to say about his opinion, as well (hopefully not hot-seating you). My biggest concern is regretting the decision I make, or feeling like a fool after the fact. I just want to get the best bang for my buck on a quality inverter that will give me trouble-free operation for years.

Reactions: Dzl
It's just that I don't really think seriously about any inverter with NEMA sockets. I don't mind recommending them for friends that can't afford better, but I wouldn't have one, besides an EVO. But, even in EVO is overpriced compared to other inverters of greater capacity. Radian and XW are what I consider serious, and what I would always recommend.

Back