diy solar

diy solar

Renogy vs Victron

Jake59

I need to update my old Trace C40 solar charge controller. My system will be 48V with LiFePO4 batteries and and currently only 1200w of solar. Which I hope to expand in the future to 2000-3000w.

Renogy MPPT controller @ 140vdc 60a input 12/24/36/48 vdc output
vs
Victron MPPT 150vdc 35a or 40a or 60a input 12/24/36/48 vdc output

They just need to handle 48v LiFePO4 battery bank

TIA

I've had both and they both worked. So it kinda comes down to your needs. To me.

I started with Renogy and it did well for what I used it for. If you are a numbers nerd like me, the Victron app gives you a bit more in that department. More configuration options too. At a price. But if you just want to set it and forget it, they both should be fine.

I haven't had to deal with Victron's support yet but Renogy's support required phone calls for me. Their email response was in the matter of days. Where I could get an answer in 15ish minutes on the phone.

HTH

Do you have any other victron gear?

How do you currently track battery SOC?

I really didn’t know . Previously I had FLA locomotive 2.2vdc that were 500ah at 6 hour rate (the FLA std) and a paper chart of what voltage equaled what SOC.

I’m now moving into the new battery age.
Now with our new CALT 302ah setup I will have both a BMS and a Victron smart shunt with BT plus their charge controller with BT.
I will be a washed in data.
Yes I have decided and ordered the Victron gear.

So not a fanboy.. the only piece of victron gear i own is a battery switch... (I am sure its busy infecting the rest of the system....)

yeah if I had to choose ONLY between renogy and victron... it would be smurfsville for me. Renogy is..... just my opinion but victrons quality speaks for itself.
Now if you want a totally mature bulletproof SCC try morningstar... yes they cost 2x or 3x as much as the closest competitor... notice they are the unit of choice for remote telecom and repeater tower use by all of the worlds largest telecom companies... there is a reason why and a reason for the cost.

Remember that renergy is a reseller of other people's equipment. There are many companies that OEM solar equipment and will even put your name on it if you buy enough units and pay a little bit extra for a paint job

This is true for many other companies that are selling Solar products so if you do some research particularly if you find an actual model number of a product you can see who else resells it

That said I'm sure victron is great equipment I don't own any I have never owned any remedy equipment but I have owned some of the equipment from one of the manufacturers that produces for remedy and sungold solar and even midnight so I was happy with what I purchased.

I have to do a cost benefit analysis of dollars to specifications and features since solar is second priority in my budget

Just don't choose the cheapest products available

Back