diy solar

diy solar

Arc fault question

k490

Solar Enthusiast
If I'm mounting on a patio cover connected to the roof of my home, I was wondering how much risk I am taking not having Arc-fault protection. If the voltage is around 450 volts probably a good idea to have an inverter that has it built in?

You may be confusing Ground-Fault with Arc-Fault. Most inverters have ground-fault circuits built in. Therefore its important to ground PV frames and racking properly.

Note: The inverter manual will indicate if either the + or - PV conductors are supposed to be grounded, most cases that are not. Only the frames and racking and any metalic conduit.

If I'm mounting on a patio cover connected to the roof of my home, I was wondering how much risk I am taking not having Arc-fault protection. If the voltage is around 450 volts probably a good idea to have an inverter that has it built in?

450v?! dang! YES, NO question.

for small systems under 150v that are properly installed, I have far less concerns with not having AFCI. however, sounds like you're working with a pretty large array. I specifically put a midnite classic behind my array solely for AFCI.

Last edited:
Back