diy solar

diy solar

Are home metal roofs grounded?

free2enjoy

I have a home in NC where metal roofs are common. I’m just starting a DIY solar panel install and wondered if metal roofs are grounded.

If so, would that mean my metal framed solar panels, held my metal mounting clamps that bite into the frame (making continuity), attached to a metal rack that has bolts that penetrate the metal roof would be grounded?

Yes, I’m a noob! ?. Explain it to me like I’m 5 years old! ??

Metal roofs are not grounded typically. And the roofing panels are 100% painted, so you should not rely on it to be a ground. This is especially true for standing seem roofing.

I wouldn't count on it. Can you run a grounding wire to some plumbing in the attic or nearby?
I could run a grounding wire to a junction box in the attic. Use the bare metal ground that goes to the circuit breaker panels in the garage. Is that legit?

And even unpainted galvalume panels are coated with a clear finish. Though they may be electrically connected nonetheless.

Careful attaching to pipes in the attic. Some carry natural gas or propane.

And even unpainted galvalume panels are coated with a clear finish. Though they may be electrically connected nonetheless.

Careful attaching to pipes in the attic. Some carry natural gas or propane.
I don’t have any metal pipes except for the propane line to the furnace in the attic.

I don’t have any metal pipes except for the propane line to the furnace in the attic.
I will defer to NEC regulations but if the gas line is OK, that would be my choice.
Regarding connecting to junction box; i sure wouldn't want to feed a lightning strike (or solar grounding fault) to my household wiring.

Back