diy solar

diy solar

Are Solar Generators really a good idea?

HighDesertOffgrid

Solar Addict
This has been a nagging question in my mind for some months and I've yet to get a satisfactory answer.
Many in my circles are buying solar generators for backup emergency power. However, the lithium batteries in these units are suppose to be stored at less than 50% charge. Is it then the case that when you need it for emergency power you will only have <50% capacity? Or conversely, if it is fully charged and not cycled, how does that effect battery life? Either of these seem problematic for using these for said purposes.

I think there is a lot of marketing going on with these products that ultimately targets people who really should not be buying them.
IMHO these units are best for people who go camping often or have a small cabin and just want some power when they get up there or people who work on remote Job sites and need power to run tools. I do not think they are great devices for emergency power. Your probably better off with a small generator and a Jug of gasoline.
Your right about the batteries, as leaving them fully charged is not a good idea and anything less than that is going to be a problem if you need them for an emergency blackout.

Back