diy solar

diy solar

Improper placement of generators and carbon monoxide poisoning

McKravitts

Solar Enthusiast
An often discussed issue on this forum is Carbon monoxide.

Many solar enthusiasts also have backup generators and there are frequent recommendations to use carbon monoxide alarms when placing these generators in unconventional locations.

Although most CO detectors on the market will alarm when some dramatic co releasing event occurs, they may not be so good at protecting you from the sickness and headaches, nausea etc., that can plague you from a small leak.

My personal experience:

Two other people and I who all lived in my house were all experiencing symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide exposure. It was during the pandemic in the winter when we didn’t get out much and the house didn’t get much fresh air. I had 4 carbon monoxide detectors, two Kidde and two First Alerts. One of them was the most expensive one Home Depot carried at the time.

We never got an alarm from any of them, yet the symptoms persisted.

I finally purchased a Forensics model which gave actual co levels and could accurately read as low as 5 ppm on an almost real time basis. It was approved for use by home inspectors.

It didn’t take but a few minutes for it to report a level of 35 ppm.

So, why didn’t any of my over the counter detectors alarm?

Many of the detectors available use OSHA standards [1].

OSHA sets a limit of 50 ppm for 8 hours per day. [1]

The assumption is that the worker will get no carbon monoxide for the rest of the day and the amount that will build up in a person’s system in 8 hours will cause no significant illness.

Carbon monoxide has a 220% greater affinity to hemoglobin then does oxygen. So basically if you inhale some, it most likely gets into your blood stream. [2]

The half-life of carbon monoxide in the human body is 320 minutes (5.33 hours). [3]

Given this data, a worker exposed to 50 ppm constantly for 8 hours has 16 hours of non-exposure (about 3 half-lives) to expel it. They go to work the next day with only about 1/8th the amount of co poisoning that they left work with the previous day. Then they have the weekends to expel a lot more of what’s remaining. A win for OSHA and 8 hour a day, 5 day a week workers.

Most carbon monoxide manufactures set their alarm based on similar levels as OSHA’s standards.

But what about someone exposed to 35 ppm for 24 hours a day for 7 days a week? OSHA is only concerned with work place safety.

So when you buy or recommend carbon monoxide detectors for people doing or considering doing something stupid with a generator, recommend a low level detector with a near real time display and inform them of the potential long term effects of even low levels of co.

[1] OSHA fact sheet
[2] Carbon Monoxide Toxixity
[3] National Library of Medicine

An often discussed issue on this forum is Carbon monoxide.

Many solar enthusiasts also have backup generators and there are frequent recommendations to use carbon monoxide alarms when placing these generators in unconventional locations.

Although most CO detectors on the market will alarm when some dramatic co releasing event occurs, they may not be so good at protecting you from the sickness and headaches, nausea etc., that can plague you from a small leak.

My personal experience:

Two other people and I who all lived in my house were all experiencing symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide exposure. It was during the pandemic in the winter when we didn’t get out much and the house didn’t get much fresh air. I had 4 carbon monoxide detectors, two Kidde and two First Alerts. One of them was the most expensive one Home Depot carried at the time.

We never got an alarm from any of them, yet the symptoms persisted.

I finally purchased a Forensics model which gave actual co levels and could accurately read as low as 5 ppm on an almost real time basis. It was approved for use by home inspectors.

It didn’t take but a few minutes for it to report a level of 35 ppm.

So, why didn’t any of my over the counter detectors alarm?

Many of the detectors available use OSHA standards [1].

OSHA sets a limit of 50 ppm for 8 hours per day. [1]

The assumption is that the worker will get no carbon monoxide for the rest of the day and the amount that will build up in a person’s system in 8 hours will cause no significant illness.

Carbon monoxide has a 220% greater affinity to hemoglobin then does oxygen. So basically if you inhale some, it most likely gets into your blood stream. [2]

The half-life of carbon monoxide in the human body is 320 minutes (5.33 hours). [3]

Given this data, a worker exposed to 50 ppm constantly for 8 hours has 16 hours of non-exposure (about 3 half-lives) to expel it. They go to work the next day with only about 1/8th the amount of co poisoning that they left work with the previous day. Then they have the weekends to expel a lot more of what’s remaining. A win for OSHA and 8 hour a day, 5 day a week workers.

Most carbon monoxide manufactures set their alarm based on similar levels as OSHA’s standards.

But what about someone exposed to 35 ppm for 24 hours a day for 7 days a week? OSHA is only concerned with work place safety.

So when you buy or recommend carbon monoxide detectors for people doing or considering doing something stupid with a generator, recommend a low level detector with a near real time display and inform them of the potential long term effects of even low levels of co.

[1] OSHA fact sheet
[2] Carbon Monoxide Toxixity
[3] National Library of Medicine

thanks so much for sharing this!!!!

I got similar when I was concerned furnace flue might have been damaged.
Set it off once - I forgot oven was on, and middle of the night alarm went off. Maybe it read 50 ppm or something like that.

Trust but verify? Set it up with recirculated air from a gas appliance, or run lawnmower with a box over it, and see what happens.

But you got results with a special unit. Under different circumstances. Likely these consumer units have sensor sensitivity and ADC resolution that don't match digits of display. We see this all the time with some equipment readings.

With sufficient air, properly adjusted natural gas appliances will be around zero. If they consume available oxygen then CO level will rise.

I am an HVAC contractor, and I have one of these on me at all times…
It alerts if CO levels above 15 are detected, and it logs my daily exposure to CO levels…

The CO “alarms” available at retail are very inadequate for actual life protecting exposure… the “display” rarely is more than a gimmick.

The requirements for CO alert levels is insanely poor… they don’t go off until life threatening levels have been detected for 30 minutes…

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
This one isn't as good as the above, but FAR more affordable, and much superior to the retail jokes...

Last edited:
Just Google "low level CO detector" and see what is available
The junk that retail is allowed to sell is criminal in my opinion.

Crap that is marketed to keep you safe but many won't trigger unless three times deadly exposure level has been monitored for over 3 hours!

Crazy.
Considering CO is a blood toxin that DOESNOT LEAVE YOUR SYSTEM, so it rapidly accumulates in your blood destroying g your brain and other vital organs...
Exposure builds up, but cannot be cleansed from your blood...

The BLOOD must die and be expelled by your body and replaced to remove any CO from it...

Very interesting. From the looks of things the professional monitor is out of stock. The link to the 3000 brings up the 6000. I couldn't find any sale information on this.

Good to know we have such a talented group on board.

Very interesting. From the looks of things the professional monitor is out of stock. The link to the 3000 brings up the 6000. I couldn't find any sale information on this.

Good to know we have such a talented group on board.
Yeah, to sell them ya gotta be NCI certified, which requires annual training in the $1500 range… and the monitors sell for around $350 to $700 anyway…

Just Google "low level CO detector" and see what is available
The junk that retail is allowed to sell is criminal in my opinion.

Crap that is marketed to keep you safe but many won't trigger unless three times deadly exposure level has been monitored for over 3 hours!

Crazy.
Considering CO is a blood toxin that DOESNOT LEAVE YOUR SYSTEM, so it rapidly accumulates in your blood destroying g your brain and other vital organs...
Exposure builds up, but cannot be cleansed from your blood...

The BLOOD must die and be expelled by your body and replaced to remove any CO from it...
As long as the alert triggered by these crap alarms are RIDGIDLY acknowledged and EVERYBODY immediately exits a house where the alert has triggered, and does not go back in before the fire department comes and inspects the home, they can save a life of someone that doesn't have one... if a massive CO event is triggered... but they are useless if a weak CO event sporadically occurs...
Since such a high level is needed to trigger the alarm... and all CO exposure is cumulative... with few symptoms, and no other method to detect it.
It's colorless, odorless, and deadly.
Nearly EVERY DAY my monitor shows I have had around 30ppm exposure during the day...
Nothing big, but good to know.
Likely, 3 to 5 ppm during several visits...

It's funny, when I work around homes, outside even, my monitor goes off when gas water heaters light up, or other things...
Restaurants are bad too, all the ovens and grills give off a bit... some kitchens are crammed full of ovens and grills etc... when I work around stuff, my belt buzzes frequently.

Back