diy solar

diy solar

Are the kilovac contactors any good?

I am using the Kilovac EV200AAANA contactor. It has been working just fine for me.

I try to connect or disconnect under as small of load as possible. I have put around 200amps at 13v through it.

It makes a nice “thunk” as it engages.

I am using the Kilovac EV200AAANA contactor. It has been working just fine for me.

I try to connect or disconnect under as small of load as possible. I have put around 200amps at 13v through it.

It makes a nice “thunk” as it engages.

I ordered the LEV200A6NAA. I am using it in the charge relay circuit. There is a thread I posted with schematic today. Thanks for the positive review. The units are a little pricey, but TE has a good reputation.

Not sure which one I have but my Kilovac works just fine on my 48 volt system.

Not sure which one I have but my Kilovac works just fine on my 48 volt system.
OK, like I said, I ordered a nice one from Digikey. I had ordered a cheep chinese knockoff and decided against it. With all the money invested in battery pack and inverter and ...... I decided to do the sane thing. Seems everytime I try to save a buck it bites me in the ass.

One caution on using any contactors - if you are powering an inverter- be sure and have a pre-charge (of some kind) fill the inverters capacitors BEFORE the contactor closes. Otherwise the spark will destroy the contactor or weld it open.

OK, like I said, I ordered a nice one from Digikey. I had ordered a cheep chinese knockoff and decided against it. With all the money invested in battery pack and inverter and ...... I decided to do the sane thing. Seems everytime I try to save a buck it bites me in the ass.

I got mine brand new from REC BMS LLC as part of my BMS package, but then ordered another used kilovac from ebay, as well as a couple of GigaVac units.

All 48 volt, all work fine.. all are $200+ if bought new.

I got mine brand new from REC BMS LLC as part of my BMS package, but then ordered another used kilovac from ebay, as well as a couple of GigaVac units.

All 48 volt, all work fine.. all are $200+ if bought new.
I am on a budget here. Mostly retired, but thinking to go back to work full time. :)

Last edited:
Back