diy solar

diy solar

How to setup REC ABMS Victron compatible with seperate charge/discharge relay

Meerow

I am a bit confused about how to wire my setup. I have a REC ABMS Victron compatible, and a Cerbo GX, a Victron MPPT and a Victron DCDC charger. I want to have seperate contactors for charge and discharge. The non Victron REC shows this wiring, having charge and discharge contactor seperate.

The Victron version's manual however lists a "main" contactor, which has Victron MPPT and Inverter on the one side, which is charge and discharge. Then the second contactor in that diagram is labelled "contactor 2" and goes to "non Victron components". So how can I wire this with seperate contactors? Do I need to change the default parameters to have the contactor 2 act as a discharge contactor?

For what reason do you want to use use the ABMS with two different relays? I assume this is an RV install since it's 12v and you have everything you need with the two relays and two optoisolators. I'd strongly suggest you stick with the one relay for simplicity and safety (do you have an Multiplus?). If you have a multiplus, since it's an inverter/charger you are both charing and discharging with the same conductors so you really can't have it setup in that way unless you never plan to use shore power.

I have an ABMS and will be using the following:

Relay 1: Main contactor
Relay 2: Acts as high voltage cut out for my DC-DC Charger (Disable Charger)
Opto1: Disable DC loads with a Victron Battery Protect when battery is low (Disable Discharge)

The Multi and MPPT will be controlled over the CAN bus and should never all your to hit high voltage as that's the point of CAN. If the CAN network ever gets disconnector or stops working (cerbo crashes, loses power, ect) the Main contactor can disconnect the battery in either condition.

Now if you have non-victron gear like a charger or non-victron inverter, then a two contactor with seperate bus can set setup with the latest 2.9 firmware. The download includes two files: one for single contactor and a second for two contactor. You can get it on the REC USA website. https://rec-bms-na.com/product-manuals/#7-8-wpfd-rec-active-bms

Also note in mysetup, there is no inverter connected to my Battery Protect so that isn't a substitute for a contactor in most cases. Also note that if you have two contactors, you may consider two pre-charge units from REC depending on what's connected to the bus.

Back