diy solar

diy solar

Victron (Smart Solar + 3 Multiplus II + Cerbo GX) 48v setup - with JBD BMS (2p 16s) and EVE cells

Filippo

Hi all,

I need help. I have been persuaded to move from a plug-and-play setup to this more complex one. I thought that the Cerbo config would be easy but I am quite lost.

I do have a Smart Solar 250/85 with a Cerbo GX and a Victron MK3 interface. I need a step-by-step guide for dumbs to help me have it see my DIY battery bank with JBD BMS, I planned to use Louisvdw drivers but I don't know where to start to install them on the Cerbo.

Could some charitable soul help me? I know it could be irritating to have such incompetent folk seeking help, but I am on a small Aegean island with no many options for help.

Thank you!

Victron can be conceptually overwhelming, but the reality is that it is very very very easy to make all the connections.

I would encourage you to explore their schematics.

Here is a 3 phase system for Quattros, which is essentially identical to the MP or MPII except for the second AC input. The schematics can be overwhelming, but if you just take your time and read them, they will make sense.

The MK3-USB adapter is only needed for initial programming of the inverters to place them in the desired parallel operation.

For initial programming:

MK3-USB connected to MPII #1 VE.Bus connected to MPII #2 VE.Bus connected to MPII #3 VE.Bus

For operation:

Cerbo VE.Bus connected to MPII #1 VE.Bus connected to MPII #2 VE.Bus connected to MPII #3 VE.Bus
MPPT 250/85 VE.Direct connected to Cerbo VE.Direct OR
MPPT 250/85 VE.CAN connected to Cerbo VE.CAN with a blue terminator at each end (if you have the CAN MPPT. It comes both ways).

You need a UART to USB connector from Overkill:

Depending on your JBD BMS, you must have a UART connector, and you may need to unplug the BT module from the UART connector. This means that you will NOT have BT access to the BMS.

As far as the driver goes, there are literally step by step instructions on the github site as well as a video. If you can't follow these without assistance, the reality is that this is probably not for you.

Victron can be conceptually overwhelming, but the reality is that it is very very very easy to make all the connections.

I would encourage you to explore their schematics.

Here is a 3 phase system for Quattros, which is essentially identical to the MP or MPII except for the second AC input. The schematics can be overwhelming, but if you just take your time and read them, they will make sense.

The MK3-USB adapter is only needed for initial programming of the inverters to place them in the desired parallel operation.

For initial programming:

MK3-USB connected to MPII #1 VE.Bus connected to MPII #2 VE.Bus connected to MPII #3 VE.Bus

For operation:

Cerbo VE.Bus connected to MPII #1 VE.Bus connected to MPII #2 VE.Bus connected to MPII #3 VE.Bus
MPPT 250/85 VE.Direct connected to Cerbo VE.Direct OR
MPPT 250/85 VE.CAN connected to Cerbo VE.CAN with a blue terminator at each end (if you have the CAN MPPT. It comes both ways).

You need a UART to USB connector from Overkill:

Depending on your JBD BMS, you must have a UART connector, and you may need to unplug the BT module from the UART connector. This means that you will NOT have BT access to the BMS.

As far as the driver goes, there are literally step by step instructions on the github site as well as a video. If you can't follow these without assistance, the reality is that this is probably not for you.
Thank you so much for providing detailed support! I would very much like to watch the video on github but I can't locate it, would you be so kind as to provide the link?

Filippo

log.jpg

I tried with both the prompt available on github and the prompt used in the YT video but I always get error 404

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks! Cerbo is online, I can see it on the VRM portal. Does the installation with microSD and reboot work?
It also seems strange that the file is only 133kb, nothing wrong with that?

Back