diy solar

diy solar

are there any good, budget, standalone 48v inverters?

What are the exact needs? Split phase (probably not as the Outback was 120V), surge capability, daily usage,mobile or stationary and size of battery bank?

it's mainly backup power (especially in winter when production is lower) but in summer, i would switch as many loads over as i could when i had plenty of excess power. it's an expensive hobby as my total usage on grid is about 5kwh/day - so it's not saving me much to run it instead of the grid. i don't need 220v (though some day it would be nice to run the well pump). the only other 220v appliance is the oven. the fridge uses 1kwh/day. other appliances such as PC, tv, router, modem - probably use about the same combined. so the actual power requirement is small. 3kw inverter would be more than enough. battery bank is 10kwh lifepo.

@defed where did you purchase the unit from? I haven’t personally used them so I hesitate to speak on their behalf, but I have asked a Facebook question on the NAZ solar page before and they’ve had their engineer reach out. I do know they sell outback, I wonder if their engineer may be willing to help or provide some type of phone or email feedback in troubleshooting your current device? Have you inquired on the Outback forum to see if other users may have some input?
Just seems that if it can be fixed, it may be worth the effort vs replacing

theoretically, just buy the stand alone inverter for $400 (except it doesn't exist!)

I know what you mean. Prices are not random nor linear!

I mean everyone in the world could be buying up left and right purple-yellow-orange-black Chevy Avalanches (I can’t think of anything more grotesque) and because the demand is high and Chevy has decided to meet that demand plus a lot extra, the price is low. But say I want a nice dark blue Avalanche that doesn’t have all wheel drive? The price is 37% higher!!

Anyways, sometimes when lowest price is the main motivating factor, you have to lower your standards or at least change them.

We went with Victron gear for our camper van. It’s been cheaper to buy individual parts than the all in ones. But that’s Victron for you, their pricing seems more “logical” in that their all in ones are quite expensive simply for the convenience of everything in one box.

@defed where did you purchase the unit from? I haven’t personally used them so I hesitate to speak on their behalf, but I have asked a Facebook question on the NAZ solar page before and they’ve had their engineer reach out. I do know they sell outback, I wonder if their engineer may be willing to help or provide some type of phone or email feedback in troubleshooting your current device? Have you inquired on the Outback forum to see if other users may have some input?
Just seems that if it can be fixed, it may be worth the effort vs replacing

i'd have to look for the receipts, i can't remember where i got it, was at least 10 yrs ago. i did talk to outback direct. i just got back on the forum to see/ask. it's been down for 3 yrs probably so i forgot what exactly the details of the failure are. i do have the emails to outback still. i saw someone on the outback forum selling their boards because they got the wrong model and had to swap some, but that was from 2 yrs ago. i'll get back into it, but i need something soon - which is why i got the cheap one for emergencies, but now i need something more permanent quicker than it will take me to solve this - if i even can.

I mean everyone in the world could be buying up left and right purple-yellow-orange-black Chevy Avalanches (I can’t think of anything more grotesque) and because the demand is high and Chevy has decided to meet that demand plus a lot extra, the price is low. But say I want a nice dark blue Avalanche that doesn’t have all wheel drive? The price is 37% higher!!

Anyways, sometimes when lowest price is the main motivating factor, you have to lower your standards or at least change them.

We went with Victron gear for our camper van. It’s been cheaper to buy individual parts than the all in ones. But that’s Victron for you, their pricing seems more “logical” in that their all in ones are quite expensive simply for the convenience of everything in one box.

i was hoping victron had something, but nothing intrigued me. i have been told you can use just the inverter from an AIO, which makes sense since it still works at night w/o MPPT input...so i may go that route...just use the inverter and eventually transition over as it would clean up/simplify my wiring

the victron phoenix 48/1200 is close to what i want. if it had a little more output and if it had output terminals rather than the plug type outlet...

in reality, 1000w output is probably enough. i use 5kwh/day. worse case i use most of that in 10 hrs (8 hrs at work, 6 hr sleeping = little use) so that's 500w/hr on average. take into account the well pump and oven are 220v so they wouldn't be run off the inverter, and some 120v loads come on and off all day (boiler, fridge) and some are always drawing (dvrs, clocks), that's even less for any given time.

EG4 makes the standalone chargeverter....where is the inverter?!? lol

the victron phoenix 48/1200 is close to what i want. if it had a little more output and if it had output terminals rather than the plug type outlet...

in reality, 1000w output is probably enough. i use 5kwh/day. worse case i use most of that in 10 hrs (8 hrs at work, 6 hr sleeping = little use) so that's 500w/hr on average. take into account the well pump and oven are 220v so they wouldn't be run off the inverter, and some 120v loads come on and off all day (boiler, fridge) and some are always drawing (dvrs, clocks), that's even less for any given time.

I have the Victron Phoenix 12/1200. It pumps out 1000W zero issues. I ran our 1850W vacuum on it (2700W surge) and it had zero issues but after 30 seconds it started beeping telling me it was over its limit. It eventually shut down because that’s what it’s designed to do, but I bet it could run just fine for 5 minutes or so at almost double its rating if you could override it. In other words, this thing will likely outlast me.

I have the Victron Phoenix 12/1200. It pumps out 1000W zero issues. I ran our 1850W vacuum on it (2700W surge) and it had zero issues but after 30 seconds it started beeping telling me it was over its limit. It eventually shut down because that’s what it’s designed to do, but I bet it could run just fine for 5 minutes or so at almost double its rating if you could override it. In other words, this thing will likely outlast me.

what the heck kind of vacuum are you running?! it would probably be enough, though my 3d printer will use 500w for about a minute so would have to keep an eye on what else is running....but i just don't like that AC output plug...

edit: i guess that's not as big a vacuum as i was thinking. i'm running a small hairdryer as a test load, and it uses 1500w on full power. lol

Last edited:

Would something like this work?

Would something like this work?

it certainly would, but that is going over the line of budget (to me any way). considering the AIO's can be had for under $700. i was just hoping there was something that took JUST the inverter out of those for say 2/3 the price. i see EG4 has a standalone charger, just not an inverter. it's looking like the AIO may be my best option (aside from fixing my outback).

Last edited:
what the heck kind of vacuum are you running?! it would probably be enough, though my 3d printer will use 500w for about a minute so would have to keep an eye on what else is running....but i just don't like that AC output plug...

edit: i guess that's not as big a vacuum as i was thinking. i'm running a small hairdryer as a test load, and it uses 1500w on full power. lol
It was a Dyson vacuum. Model called “the animal” for cleaning up pet hair. The power cord always gets a tad warm after a few minutes of operation.

it certainly would, but that is going over the line of budget (to me any way). considering the AIO's can be had for under $700. i was just hoping there was something that took JUST the inverter out of those for say 2/3 the price. i see EG4 has a standalone charger, just not an inverter. it's looking like the AIO may be my best option (aside from fixing my outback).
I’m just arm chairing here. I don’t have experience with either. I understand the monetary constraints well though.
I’m still somewhat of the opinion that 300-400 dollars more now, for the Victron, may prove wise in 5 years vs saving a few hundred now for the eg4

I’m just arm chairing here. I don’t have experience with either. I understand the monetary constraints well though.
I’m still somewhat of the opinion that 300-400 dollars more now, for the Victron, may prove wise in 5 years vs saving a few hundred now for the eg4

I have only two pieces of Victron kit right now and am kicking myself I didn’t go with them first. So much better on so many fronts. A good deal once you start using them.

i agree, mostly, i usually buy better quality when it makes sense. i certainly didn't skimp on the outback, and after, maybe, 10 yrs, it doesn't work. I could have bought 2 AIO's for that (with $ left over). so there's that argument as well. my c/c is xantrex and the inverter was outback....definitely not low end.

Last edited:
The WZRELB is “good enough” for occasional grid-down usage. I have a 2500W powered by my 48V golf cart, and backfeed my breaker panel. Has performed “reliable” so far and pushed it hard powering my furnace blower through the 2021 Great Houston Freeze.

Caution: there is an issue with the floating (60V) neutral. I always bond and ground the output before powering it on.

I would purchase direct from the manufacturer.

Attachments

• UPS Reliable.jpg
    UPS Reliable.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Houston snow.jpg
    Houston snow.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 8
The WZRELB is “good enough” for occasional grid-down usage. I have a 2500W powered by my 48V golf cart, and backfeed my breaker panel. Has performed “reliable” so far and pushed it hard powering my furnace blower through the 2021 Great Houston Freeze.

Caution: there is an issue with the floating (60V) neutral. I always bond and ground the output before powering it on.

I would purchase direct from the manufacturer.

the similar one that i have, for emergencies, seems OK...i just used it to run my batteries down w/ a small hair dryer. i mostly had it running at 500w and later i ran it at 1500w (1/2 its rating) for maybe 2 hrs as a stress test for it. it survived. but i don't think mine is really pure sine wave as the PC makes a lot of noises on it. it runs tvs and dvrs fine (digital clocks seemed OK), but not sure if the fridge will like it. and i don't feel confident enough in it to keep it hooked up and running 24/7 if i'm not around to keep an eye on it. so i wanted something a little better, which i'd think growatt and eg4 are and victron most certainly is.

i was hoping victron had something, but nothing intrigued me. i have been told you can use just the inverter from an AIO, which makes sense since it still works at night w/o MPPT input...so i may go that route...just use the inverter and eventually transition over as it would clean up/simplify my wiring
Right now I currently installing a pair of MPPT's and just running my LV6548's as inverters. I've had one installed since July 4th and just fed the output to my battery bus.

I read your previous response. Seriously I'd look either at a pair that can do split phase or a single unit that can do split phase. Your power needs aren't high and having the ability to run some split phase items such as the well pump can be accomplished without a large investment.

I remember when I first installed the monitor to determine household usage.

I asked my wife what she was running in the afternoon because the wattage was pretty high. She though about it for a minute and said she was vacuuming. They sure do take some power.

I have the standalone EG4 MPPT, it works very well, no complaints. Very impressed with it.

I needed higher VOC rating than the LV6548 and the EG4 fit in nicely.

Back