diy solar

diy solar

Are these safe to use for a 16s 48v LiFePo4?

MartyByrde

Off-Grid Innovator
Hello,

I’m building batteries and the busbar included doesn’t fit the width. I modified the busbar by drilling a hole, but is this safe to use?

B0D354F9-9B27-4224-88EC-D7F2D8F2CB04.jpeg

Secondly,

The overkill solar BMS lug is too large for the post. Should I change the lug or can I use it? I also thought about cutting a busbar in half and using that for more surface area
DA385E89-961D-4321-9AA4-948463019421.jpeg

Attachments

• 2E1E664A-9F88-4AE3-AFAA-C8EE2BF26381.jpeg
    2E1E664A-9F88-4AE3-AFAA-C8EE2BF26381.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1
Hello,

I’m building batteries and the busbar included doesn’t fit the width. I modified the busbar by drilling a hole, but is this safe to use?

View attachment 107533

Secondly,

The overkill solar BMS lug is too large for the post. Should I change the lug or can I use it? I also thought about cutting a busbar in half and using that for more surface area
View attachment 107536
I personally would change the lug to same type just smaller diameter hole for battery lug.

Most of the lug kits I get have same gauge ends for wire with different diameter hole for batteries or busbars.

My free advice, worth twice that :

Change the lug, it’s simple and the right thing to do.

Drill a smaller hole for your busbar. Since the left side can slide to adjust it should work great.

Both of the above are to maximize surface contact area which of course helps keep resistance low.

I wouldn’t worry about the extra busbar length. It’s a slightly larger shorting hazard but you do plan to cover the finished battery right?

The longer busbar shouldn’t have any electrical effect. Physically you could consider it additional heat sink ?.

Of course you could get rid of the double 8 ga wired and oversized lug hole. Install a 2ga cable with 2ga lug-1/4" hole.

SELTERM 2 AWG 1/4" Stud (2 pcs.) UL Marine Grade Battery Ring...Amazon.

Back