diy solar

diy solar

Are trolling motor batteries well-suited for Vans or RVs?

btmurrell

Just watched Will's great review of the Li Time 12v 100ah trolling motor battery w/ temp protection... I am trying to find a reliable answer to the question "Are trolling motor batteries well-suited for Vans or RVs?" Can someone with knowledge, experience, or resources help?

ChatGPT tells me no:
RVs typically use deep cycle batteries or a bank of deep cycle batteries as their primary power source. Deep cycle batteries are designed to provide a steady amount of power over an extended period of time, which is ideal for RVs because they need to power various onboard appliances, lights, and systems when not connected to shore power.

Trolling motor batteries, on the other hand, are designed to provide short bursts of power for trolling motors used in fishing. They are not well-suited for the continuous and sustained power demands of an RV. Using a trolling motor battery as the main power source for an RV would likely result in frequent discharges and reduced battery lifespan, as it may not have the capacity to meet the RV's power needs.If you are looking to power an RV, you should invest in high-quality deep cycle batteries or consider alternative power sources like generators or solar panels, depending on your specific power requirements and usage patterns. These options are better suited to provide the consistent and reliable power needed for RVs.

Our Epoch 24V 100Ah is doing fine these 4 months or so; expecting years of service. Their website lists categories of trolling, RV, etc. but they seem to be the same batteries. The water resistance works for us because mine can get some rain drops. The on/off switch is handy.

IMG_2042.jpeg

Just watched Will's great review of the Li Time 12v 100ah trolling motor battery w/ temp protection... I am trying to find a reliable answer to the question "Are trolling motor batteries well-suited for Vans or RVs?" Can someone with knowledge, experience, or resources help?

ChatGPT tells me no:

Yes, no problem. The trolling motor part is largely marketing. Those motors can draw deeply on batteries. So if it works for a trolling motor, it will be good for most RV/van applications.

That said, what do you intend to power with it? Microwave ovens can be difficult, for example, but most other things are easy enough if your system is sized for it.

thanks @KITROBASKIN and @Tomthumb62 . You relieved my panic as I had hit that purchase button earlier today. ? My biggest wattage consumer will my my 1800W induction stove, and a pressure cooker, but those will only run for short intervals. Maybe a small microwave in the future. Other than that, standard DC appliances such a fridge, water pump, gasoline heater....

thanks for your reassurances. (y)

(oh, and yes, I added a large fudge factor; I have 640W solar and got four of these Li Time batteries.)

oh, and yes, I added a large fudge factor; I have 640W solar and got four of these Li Time batteries.)

That’s great! With your minimal loads, you should be golden. But do you have a good AC charger? I say because you only have 640W of panels. Assume 50-70% rated output if panels are flat mounted on your roof, so 320-448W, average of 384W. With 5 hours of productive sun a day, you’re looking to generate 1920Wh (watt hours) per day. Each of your 12v 100Ah batteries holds 1280Wh, times four is 5120Wh. So your energy production is only 37% of your battery bank capacity.

But this is likely not a big deal. You’ll want to do an energy audit, which adds up all the energy you use in a day, converted into watt hours. For example, if you only use 1500Wh per day, then that leaves you some extra juice to charge your battery: 1920Wh-1500Wh= 420Wh going into your battery bank. This will only matter much if you have any shading or clouds. But you will be well suited to last several days in cloudy weather without needing to charge. However, once your battery bank gets depleted, it’s going to take many days of good sun to get back up to full charge, which is why having a decent shore power charger very handy. I would recommend a minimum of a 30A charger as it would take about 13 hours to charge up your bank if it was completely depleted.

FYI, I’m assuming a 12v system here. Is that correct?

Thanks again @Tomthumb62 for the calculations and for highlighting my shortcoming of solar capacity vs. my storage. I do have another 200W of solar that I can add up top. In addition, I have a longer-range plan to build a hinged capability to my solar rack to take advantage of early/late day sun. And I do have a Noco Genius 5 AC charger for shore power charging... there if I need it, but my goal is to not rely on shore power... so, as I get on the road for longer periods, I will evaluate, and will consider an alternator charger as well. I definitely rounded up to the fourth battery to cover days w/o sun, but you highlight a good point on my days with sun, it will take some time to recoup by solar.

yes, 12v

These LiTime LiFePO4's are my upgrade to my little 200W solar + 2x6v lead acids that came with my van pre-built.

Back