diy solar

diy solar

Array Grounding and Components Grounding

Watching the video and reading all the comments above, everyone seems to be saying the same thing as I understand it.
Both the video and comments above could be more clear however.
One of the confusing issues is that people will sometimes refer to DC negative as a ground. Not the same thing at all, as mentioned above and in the video.
Essentially, all metal frames, cases, etc need to be grounded. I put a new ground rod for each on my two sets of panel arrays. The combiner box lightning surge protector is connected with #6 bare Cu wire to the ground rod, as are the panel racks and frames.
The video is incorrect information.
You can't trust idiots on YouTube.
Driving a ground rod and connecting to it, doesn't ground anything. All exposed metal (panel frames, racking, raceways, and enclosues) should be connected to your grounding system. Provided by your electrical service panel.

It might be easier if we think about the grounding being done at the main service panel and any other grounding electrodes as auxiliary rounding rods that are bonded back to the ground. I use EMT for conduit and with the correct connectors can be run underground. It cost about the same as schedule 40 pvc and will provide some bonding. If you use a 10awg copper (green) equipment ground conductor 2023 NEC table 250.122 shows it can support up to 60 amps.
If going underground in conduit make sure the wire is rated for wet locations.

I can tell you one thing, if you’re not grounding with manufacturers instructions on any product, YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY PERIOD.

I can tell you one thing, if you’re not grounding with manufacturers instructions on any product, YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY PERIOD.
The problem with WZRELB “reliable” and XYZInvt inverters is the documentation “instructions” vary depending on where you buy them. You can find WZRELB directions that say earth connection for pc board and output, but then with the exact same model on another site stating not to connect to earth ground.
My WZRELB 24v 5000w inverter has been earth grounded and neutral bonded at my main panel in a cabin for over 3 months and has been running my fridge, lights, blender etc. with no issues. This however is after checking and correcting the outlet polarity per the video.
In fact, when I take off my jacket or sweater and have static cling, I touch my fridge with the back of my hand to degauss. I’m glad my fridge is grounded in case a defrost happens to leak water onto the motor or other 120v circuits. I’d rather blow up a cheap inverter than have a safety risk with the fridge. I keep a spare 3000w around if needed which was hooked up prior.

1702488128296.jpeg

Add me to the confused pile.

Totally off grid system.

I have 6 panels ground mounted.

I have a WZRELB 3000W 24v inverter.

I can drive a copper rod into the earth nearby.

I can run grounding wire from the panels and the inverter to the copper rod.

Will that work? The inverter has a grounding bolt on the end of the unit. I will NOT be connecting that to my house grid system in any way. Will this work?

I am no electrician. My system has worked for years without being 'grounded' and with lead-acid batteries. But now I dropped the money for Lithium, I was hoping to do the grounding if necessary. But all I find are contradictory statements, instructions in bad English that muff the most important words like DO or DON'T and endless talk about floating, ground, neutral, hot, bonding, cases, and that WZRELB have all their internal wires criss-crossed. Do watch the video, don't watch the video, read the comments, don't tread the comments, they're all idiots, someone's gonna die.

Can I run a ground wire from the WZRELB to a copper rod in the earth? Can I attach my panels to that same copper rod?

Thanks!

I will NOT be connecting that to my house grid system in any way. Will this work?
If you have an existing electrical system. You already have a grounding system.
All grounding connects together. One grounding system for everything.
If your off grid system has no (other than grounding) connections to the existing electrical system. Then a N/G bond is required on the second system.
Without a N/G bond, there is no safety grounding for the second system.

If you have an existing electrical system. You already have a grounding system.
All grounding connects together. One grounding system for everything.
If your off grid system has no (other than grounding) connections to the existing electrical system. Then a N/G bond is required on the second system.
Without a N/G bond, there is no safety grounding for the second system.
I guess I will google what an N/G bond is.
WZRELB, about the only thing I can understand from them is DO NOT connect it to your existing home grounding system.

But my main question was, if I drove a rod into my yard near my offgrid system and connected the Inverter to it....would that work. Also, could I connect my solar panels to this rod?

But my main question was, if I drove a rod into my yard near my offgrid system and connected the Inverter to it....would that work. Also, could I connect my solar panels to this rod?
You can. But it won't help anyone.
It won't lessen the chance of getting shocked.

Back