diy solar

diy solar

As a new member i want to show you guys my instalation

I had even to make the clamps for the panels by myself from alu profile , getting RVS bolts and nuts was another thing to get but it is done.
I like the Din style breakers , i have changed out all typical USA style breakers and housings for DIN style system in the house as was installed during the building of the house what suprising is easy to come by over here .
I,am talking about 8 years ago, now i found Internet suppliers delivering at my house , so handy.
It seems to be huricane proof so far , we had several big huricanes over the house , no problem .
I tried to balance the air presure around te panels with the open blocks it seems to work so far.

That is nice.

May I ask where this is? All the green and the palm trees make me jealous!!

Just a tip, i cut off all mp4 conectors and made solid solder conections coverd with profesional thick inside glued heat schrink tube, it is very humid here and i hate corosion in my system, and i used the special solar cable expenxive but top quality a zillion twines and thinned and the isolation can stand nearly everything , it has to last at least 20 years.

Last edited:
I agree on soldering everything possible. I learned that from working in one of the most extreme environments on earth, and industrial metal plating facility. Corrosives, huge amp loads, steaming tanks of poison everywhere. A soldered and heat shrunk covered connector with the glue inside is forever. Connectors, they all fail. Some sooner, some later. sometimes they just resist A little bit and mess with things. when I connected my BMS I soldered each wire to the copper bus bars, no crimped connectors or potential poor Connection causing milivolt issues. Every crimp I do, I also solder.
it’s a beautiful house and a wonderful installation.
does it fulfill your needs at your home?

I agree on soldering everything possible. I learned that from working in one of the most extreme environments on earth, and industrial metal plating facility. Corrosives, huge amp loads, steaming tanks of poison everywhere. A soldered and heat shrunk covered connector with the glue inside is forever. Connectors, they all fail. Some sooner, some later. sometimes they just resist A little bit and mess with things. when I connected my BMS I soldered each wire to the copper bus bars, no crimped connectors or potential poor Connection causing milivolt issues. Every crimp I do, I also solder.
it’s a beautiful house and a wonderful installation.
does it fulfill your needs at your home?
I have 40 years experience in the oil industrie on and off shore , comercial shipping and mega yachts and . only the best is just good enough .
My battery back up is just for emergencies and we can live witout the airco of coarse for a good 10 hours or so when we are conserving enery , see it more as an extended UPS.
WE have only LED lights and one big inverter deep freezer cooler and one clasic deep freezer, we can run our well pump and lifting pump to the tank at the roof and have so static water presure in case of emegergency, the cell phone amplifier and internet equipment stays also on .
Only the 220 V airconditioner and the high pressure hydro unit are shut off during an emergency situation and 2 other groups i could not split up due the house wiring configuration
I´m upgrading now with a 2KW inverter generator and chage over swith for the extended grid downs during huricanes, just for charging the bateries and having power to the preverent group of the house .
In case of an emergency i drain the batteries down to 20% it hurt their cycly life big time but i cycle perhaps ones a year in a emergency case and 4 times a year for maintenance till 50%.
Cycle life span is not an issue for me the high envirement temperature will aged them more , on everage 33 Celcius
It are Rolls AGM they can have a beat, after 8 years they are still doing well, however i do not know how well ,one of the coming upgrades is a battery monitor

And Thanks for your compliments

Last edited:
My battery back up is just for emergencies and we can live witout the airco of coarse for a good 10 hours or so when we are conserving enery , see it more as an extended UPS.
Nice!

I too went with lead acid as like you it's for standby / grid backup. Mine are those batteries designed for data centre backup.

I really like your neat layout. Your industrial experience shining through. I've no background in such things so muddled my way through.

Is your solar PV supplying power to the house?

I have a grid-tied PV system for that, while my off-grid PV system keeps my backup batteries ready to go and I now use it to power the pool pump.

Nice!

I too went with lead acid as like you it's for standby / grid backup. Mine are those batteries designed for data centre backup.

I really like your neat layout. Your industrial experience shining through. I've no background in such things so muddled my way through.

Is your solar PV supplying power to the house?

I have a grid-tied PV system for that, while my off-grid PV system keeps my backup batteries ready to go and I now use it to power the pool pump.
My inverter sell back to the grid what I´m not using for the house of charging .
In Mexico there is no money involved in selling back, one KW into the grid and 1 KW free out of the grid , that is realy perfect !

You have a very professional installation and you should be proud of the craftsmanship that you put into the work. Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will be able to help many people on the forum. I like the swim up bar in the pool, could I get a Rum and coke please?

You have a very professional installation and you should be proud of the craftsmanship that you put into the work. Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will be able to help many people on the forum. I like the swim up bar in the pool, could I get a Rum and coke please?
Ask the bar lady for it , Bacardi Blanco or Captain Morgan ?

Attachments

• P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 14
In Mexico there is no money involved in selling back, one KW into the grid and 1 KW free out of the grid , that is realy perfect !
Yeah that's very generous. Here exports to the grid are metered separately to imports with exports worth ~1/3rd of imports. That's why self consumption of our solar PV is much better as that's 1:1.

Back