diy solar

diy solar

My new construction home DIY solar build thread (EG4 18Kpv) Texas 🇺🇲

AustinMaddox

Hi! New member, first post 👋
We're nearing completion on our new home so I thought I'd start documenting the build (with photos, of course) as I go along.

The story begins,... apparently I love things that use electricity because I had so many circuits (15kW HVAC, pool heater/chiller, 3 HP well pump, aerobic septic, EV charger, two refrigerators, one freezer, shop/man cave, welder, air compressor, mini-split, etc.) that the electricians suggested that I install a 320 amp meter base feeding two 200 amp panels from the grid. Okay, cool.

Then, being an engineer and quite left-brained, I started doing the calculations and spreadsheets and whatnot on how much I could expect my monthly electric bill to be. I crunched the numbers and checked the price per watt from the local power company and was shocked 😳. I needed a new plan. Started looking into solar. Watched way too many YouTube videos, and ended up here, lurking on the forums for months.

Long story short, I drove to Sulphur Springs and picked up an EG4 18Kpv inverter from Signature Solar last week. Just got it mounted. Let the games begin!

Last edited:
We're nearing completion on our new home so I thought I'd start documenting the build (with photos, of course) as I go along.

The story begins,... apparently I love things that use electricity because I had so many circuits (15kW HVAC, pool heater/chiller, 3 HP well pump, aerobic septic, EV charger, two refrigerators, one freezer, shop/man cave, welder, air compressor, mini-split, etc.) that the electricians suggested that I install a 320v meter base feeding two 200 amp panels from the grid. Okay, cool.

Then, being an engineer and quite left-brained, I started doing the calculations and spreadsheets and whatnot on how much I could expect my monthly electric bill to be. I crunched the numbers and checked the price per watt from the local power company and was shocked 😳. I needed a new plan. Started looking into solar. Watched way too many YouTube videos, and ended up here, lurking on the forums for months.

Long story short, I drove to Sulphur Springs and picked up an EG4 18Kpv inverter from Signature Solar last week. Just got it mounted. Let the games begin!
Welcome!
Good choice so far. It’s had a lot of beta testing at this point so it’s ready for prime time.
Only one 18Kpv? 🥴

I can’t exactly get my head around the 320v two panel thing, but I’m not an electrician. However, we’ve got some real electricians here that will chime in, in due time.
Edit, yeah I see you corrected v to amps 👍

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant 320 amp, not volts.
Probably went with two 200 amp panels for cost and/or availability I’m guessing.
I think you’re going to like EG4 line of products. Probably one of the best for DIY friendly plus code compliance at a reasonable price. And,no I don’t own one.

The story begins,... apparently I love things that use electricity because I had so many circuits (15kW HVAC, pool heater/chiller, 3 HP well pump, aerobic septic, EV charger, two refrigerators, one freezer, shop/man cave, welder, air compressor, mini-split, etc.) that the electricians suggested that I install a 320 amp meter base feeding two 200 amp panels from the grid. Okay, cool.

Exciting!! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns!

sweet, note: lots of pics brings in viewers and suggestions

and thanks for the show and tell entry, love looking at others' projects

I wish the 18kpv was available when I was choosing the XW Pro, I would have gone with the 18kpv instead
would have been cheaper

Last edited:
As you can see, I've planned for a second inverter to be added at a future date. At the present time, the way we're going to wire it is one service line from the grid to the 18kpv inverter (left) and then to Load Center #1 (left). The other service line will go directly to Load Center #2 (right) since there is no inverter there yet. At a later time, I can move the grid service line to go through inverter #2. I hope that makes sense. Any suggestions?

Also, we're doing spray foam insulation so I am a little worried that the top of the conduits will get covered or make them much less accessible from the attic. I'll probably just do some bat insulation at the top of the conduits to make it easier to pull lines through the conduit at a later date.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 36
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 36
As you can see, I've planned for a second inverter to be added at a future date. At the present time, the way we're going to wire it is one service line from the grid to the 18kpv inverter (left) and then to Load Center #1 (left). The other service line will go directly to Load Center #2 (right) since there is no inverter there yet. At a later time, I can move the grid service line to go through inverter #2. I hope that makes sense. Any suggestions?

yeah, great idea. I built my system for growth over time, just takes proper planning. good work

Also, we're doing spray foam insulation so I am a little worried that the top of the conduits will get covered or make them much less accessible from the attic. I'll probably just do some bat insulation at the top of the conduits to make it easier to pull lines through the conduit at a later date.

yeah leave good access yes, might lose a little heat/cooling but gives you flexibility
watch conduit fill levels on those Romex runs

This’ll probably be a fun thread. I would suggest that any PV containing conduit, junction box or breaker/surge arrestor box within the building structure be within approved metal.
The gray conduit is fine for AC.

Noted, Skypower. Thanks for the advice. I think I could swap out the two conduits I was planning on using for PV wires for metal conduits instead of PVC. The rest is already metal (gutters, connectors) so I should be good there.

At a later time, I can move the grid service line to go through inverter #2. I hope that makes sense. Any suggestions?
Looks perfect to me.
Remove or cover EVERYTHING, darn shit gets all over.
Fiberglass bats would be best but remember, you will need to fire stop that area....mine are inside the wall. Looks like you will sheetrock to the conduit and fill around them. The mud guys will love you :ROFLMAO:

Back