diy solar

(at least) 4 MUST HAVE tools for BIG Wire

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
Hydraulic Crimper
Cable Bender
Ratchet Cable Cutters
Cable Stripper
These are 4AWG to 4/0 AWG. If you are doing 250 MCM, you probably already have professional tools.

I prefer the 16T crimper instead of the 10T crimper because the 16T holds the dies in from both sides.
I just did a project with 4/0 where I had to make a Z shape within a 6" space, unreal trying to bend by hand, the cable bender did it super easy.

These are DIY-level tools. You can spend a heck of a lot more on "pro-grade" if you want, I'm sure they are better for heavy use.

16T Hydraulic Crimper

Cable Bender

Ratchet Cable Cutters

Cable Stripper

After a bad crimp attempt with the hammer crimper on 4/0 cable, and then reading this page, I bought the referenced FTZ tool, as it sounded more trustworthy than the hydraulic ones for about the same price. Been pleased with it so far.

It was this note in particular that sold me on it:

Marine How-To said:
NOTE: This tool makes such a perfectly crimped lug that when I experimented and tried to also solder one, after crimping, no solder would flow beyond the first crimp band. This crimp tool makes a completely water tight and solder tight joint. In the aerospace industry they refer to this as a “gas tight” crimp.

I should probably cut one apart sometime, but my reading has me comfortable trusting it enough I haven't felt the need to waste a lug.[/url]

These are good too, for cutting thick cables:

These are good too, for cutting thick cables:
Too much $$$ in my book. But probably quicker than the ratchet type. I did see some ratchet type in this price range at Menards and HD. That's why I got the one I linked, for the price it's near impossible to match.

Too much $$$ in my book. But probably quicker than the ratchet type. I did see some ratchet type in this price range at Menards and HD. That's why I got the one I linked, for the price it's near impossible to match.
I can't believe how cheap the Chinese can make stuff. Think they pay the 10 year old kids more than 50 cents a day?

Harbor freight has big cable cutters as well. Much cheaper. Seem to work fine.

I have the very same crimper that the OP has linked to, but it is very hard to get good crimps on non-metric / AWG sizes without grinding down some of the dies, and even then results look kind of sloppy. There are also lots of reports of these cheapies breaking down after a relatively short life. My brother-in-law bought the TEMCO TH0005. Although it is pretty expensive, I think the crimper is the most important of the tools discussed here, and my next crimper will be the TH0005. (It looks like it is on sale now at the TEMCO link above)

@Horsefly That's basically what the guide I referenced, written by a professional boat wirer, said. In lower priced tools, either the FTZ tool or the Temco TH005. All the others are a craps shoot at best.

I got the long handled manual crimper sold by one of the marine stores. Works like peach. Fused wires. I think it’s this one: https://www.boatwireusa.com/product...als-6-awg-250-mcm?_pos=3&_sid=95ff11a9f&_ss=r

The Kein 4-way cable stripper…won’t work with Ancor 4-0. The insulation is too thick. (Not in the OP, just a public service announcement).

Cable bender…that would be useful. This might work too if you have a place to mount it: https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...ols/benders-rollers/compact-bender-38470.html

That's another source for the FTZ crimper I got, @SilverbackMP. Always nice to hear further good reviews of the tool you bought.

I'm obviating the need for the cable bender by using fine strand battery cable for all the big DC connections, but could use something a little better for cutting.

I've run more 2/0 and 350mcm wire than I can remember.. Never used any fancy tools to strip it, just a standard box cutter. One cut around the circumference, then a cut down one side and the end peals right off.

I never did a lot of work with crimp-on ends though.. Before I crimped my first big one for my battery bank, I knew just by looking at it that I was going to need something a bit more appropriate for the job if I wanted a good connection. I bought the Temco 0005 unit and I have since crimped dozens of cables for battery backup systems, golf carts, farm tractors, etc. That little tool is awesome.

As for cutting big wire, if its battery cable with those fine strands, you need a pair of scissors.. Short ratchets or the long handles work just fine. But for the normal building wire we run to bus ducts, a sawzall works good enough..

I have the very same crimper that the OP has linked to, but it is very hard to get good crimps on non-metric / AWG sizes without grinding down some of the dies, and even then results look kind of sloppy. There are also lots of reports of these cheapies breaking down after a relatively short life. My brother-in-law bought the TEMCO TH0005. Although it is pretty expensive, I think the crimper is the most important of the tools discussed here, and my next crimper will be the TH0005. (It looks like it is on sale now at the TEMCO link above)
Temco Industrial is good stuff!
I just bought their cutter and 5T hydraulic crimper, worked great!

Hydraulic Crimper
Cable Bender
Ratchet Cable Cutters
Cable Stripper
These are 4AWG to 4/0 AWG. If you are doing 250 MCM, you probably already have professional tools.

I prefer the 16T crimper instead of the 10T crimper because the 16T holds the dies in from both sides.
I just did a project with 4/0 where I had to make a Z shape within a 6" space, unreal trying to bend by hand, the cable bender did it super easy.

These are DIY-level tools. You can spend a heck of a lot more on "pro-grade" if you want, I'm sure they are better for heavy use.

16T Hydraulic Crimper

Cable Bender

Ratchet Cable Cutters

Cable Stripper
That's the same hydraulic crimper I have except mine is made by tms but it looks identical and is 16 tons.

I use this one for small stuff :

After I saw the cable bender in the first post, I thought that would be pretty easy to make.
I walked by the scrap tub at work, looking for a piece of flat stock to use and found a piece with 3 holes already in it. Lucky me.
Hmmm, lets put a socket in the center hole, and we can drive it; and some studs in the 2 outside holes to bend against.
Found a stray deep 3/8 drive socket and turned it down just slightly to fit the center hole.
Welded the socket in place and turned the weld down smooth.
Drilled out the 2 outer holes and tapped for some shoulder bolts.
There is 7/8 inch distance between the OD of the socket and the OD shanks on the bolts.

Attachments

• cablebender_1.jpg
    cablebender_1.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 5
  • cablebender_2.jpg
    cablebender_2.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 5
Back