diy solar

diy solar

Audio cables vs. Solar panel cables for indoor use?

saen

Audio cables vs. Solar panel cables for indoor connection?

This Question was been asked to me. :confused:
But except isolation of cable is there any other difference?

Solar panel cable is rated to run at fairly high temperature (think hot metal or tiled roof) and also the plastic insulation has good resistance to strong ultraviolet from the sun. None of that matters indoors.

Audio cable is often copper clad aluminium (CCA) and we don't want that. Even "pure" copper cable in audio cables seem to be sometimes questionable quality.
Welding cable is usually cheaper than audio cables once you weed out the CCA crap.

Conductors don't care about voltage, insulation does. The type and amount of insulation is dictated first by voltage (safety), then by other factors such as durability, flexibility, temp etc.

Insulators don't care about current, conductors do. The size of the conductor is dictated first by current (safety), then by other factors such as length, temp, flexibility, etc.

So even though it just happens that large conductors also tend to have thick insulators, it's not guaranteed that they're appropriate or safe for a much higher voltage level.

Having said that, I have put over 400v of solar through 'landscape wire' that says 30v on the outside, with no 'detectable' leakage. Now I have access to an insulation test meter so i'm going to zap it with 1000v and see what it does. But we do such things at our own risk, and don't recommend anyone else to follow! Following the actual voltage rating of the wire is absolutely the safest thing to do.

Having said that, I have put over 400v of solar through 'landscape wire' that says 30v on the outside, with no 'detectable' leakage. Now I have access to an insulation test meter so i'm going to zap it with 1000v and see what it does. But we do such things at our own risk, and don't recommend anyone else to follow! Following the actual voltage rating of the wire is absolutely the safest thing to do.
Probably appears "OK" on 1000v insulation tester.
Insulation voltage rating is quite complex thing compared to current rating. It is more about lifetime &safety factor than short-term maximum voltage.
New 300v rated "domestic use" romex probably takes 3 to 15kV before failing instantly.

Insulation voltage rating is quite complex thing compared to current rating. It is more about lifetime &safety factor than short-term maximum voltage.
New 300v rated "domestic use" romex probably takes 3 to 15kV before failing instantly.
I figured there must be a lot i don't know when i saw this thick insulation wire rated for 30 volts. I'm curious but so far apparently not curious enough to dive into it. Too many rabbit holes in my daily life already.. ?

I figured there must be a lot i don't know when i saw this thick insulation wire rated for 30 volts. I'm curious but so far apparently not curious enough to dive into it. Too many rabbit holes in my daily life already.. ?
Cars for example use thin wall insulation rated to 100v to save weight.

Back