diy solar

diy solar

Auto start generator options?

gac1218

I have a champion remote start generator. My inverter charger is a Sun Gold 3000 watt with the Built in green 2 wire auto start port. Can I simply run the 2 wire to the two top pins on the remote/ electric start button, understanding that I would have to leave the battery switch on?

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_103325278.jpg
    IMG_20230723_103325278.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230723_103307130_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230723_103307130_HDR.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230723_103252267_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230723_103252267_HDR.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I guess the next question is "what would stop the generator as the start pins and stop pins are separate?

Would have to know how it starts and stops.
I would think that a DPDT relay could be used. But don't know if the start signal needs to be momentary or constant. It may require 2 relays. With a timed start signal.

It's on a rocker switch. Top starts, bottom stops, run in the center. The pic shows the wiring configuration.

It's on a rocker switch. Top starts, bottom stops, run in the center. The pic shows the wiring configuration.
Sorry as a retired electrician the pic shows some wires in a device. Nothing more can be determined from that pic. Search your owners manually fully and post the wiring diagrams for the generator control.

Thanks

Then probably need the timed relay.
It says wireless remote start on the unit.
I wonder if it would be easier to hack that option.

Getting over my head. Maybe I should just consider a 2 wire ready auto start generator?

Anything that can be done manually, can be done automatically. But, it can be complicated to explain.
One position of the DPDT relay will close the run wires. The other position would trigger a timer relay. The timer relay will close the start wires for a preset duration.
Activating the DPDT relay will start the generator and keep it running. Deactivating the DPDT relay will stop the generator.

I have not setup auto start on my RV yet…

I will probably use Atkinson Electronics GSCM KIT. You let them know your generator and inverter and they set you up with a kit to take care of everything in between. I was looking at Victron and Onan, but their list is available units is VERY long.

Good Luck - let us know how and what you did.

When ever I get around to doing the auto start I'm going with this :

Will run around $380 but well worth it from what I can tell.

Here is a list of reviews on it :

That auto start I posted turns any generator with an electric starter into a fully automatic standby generator.

This shows a generator they sell too but it features the auto start unit and you get to see the app that controls it. Pretty damn fancy.

I have not setup auto start on my RV yet…

I will probably use Atkinson Electronics GSCM KIT. You let them know your generator and inverter and they set you up with a kit to take care of everything in between. I was looking at Victron and Onan, but their list is available units is VERY long.

Good Luck - let us know how and what you did.
Well I contacted Atkinson and they sent me the wiring diagram to use with the gscm mini. $225 for the unit plus some connectors, wire and fuses. I could add the battery switch relay, but I will just turn the battery switch on when the solar batteries may be compromised.

When ever I get around to doing the auto start I'm going with this :

Will run around $380 but well worth it from what I can tell.

Here is a list of reviews on it :

The Atkinson gscm mini is $225 for my generator. No wifi.

It's expensive. But makes it an easy kind of plug and play solution.
Two relays would cost less than $50. But you have to know what you are doing.
Sometimes, easy is worth the extra cost.

Back