diy solar

diy solar

Bad days for Solar Production.

@sunshine_eggo = jackass... battery in an uninsulated shipping container... Lost over half my available PV for the day but managed to get back to my daily peak of 75% SoC on the NMC bank (6.8kWh harvested):

View attachment 188655

Going to be warmer and sunny tomorrow, so it won't look as bad.

I have a 1500W space heater in the container that actually does almost no heating (container walls are about R 0.002), BUT pulling ~35A from the battery can warm it up a degree or three. :)
Heating pad with an insulated box would be a better choice.

Been feast or famine here, Thu was sunny all day, so with the 5kwh battery down to 25%, plus doing a couple loads of laundry, we got almost 6kwh, our best day since I got the system online last April. But yesterday we had non stop clouds/rain all day and our total was a massive 63Wh..All these cloudy days are depressing in more ways than one.

With a 3.6kW array and a 5kwh batt, we've been averaging only 1.5kwh/day this month.. Last month was pretty good, we got about 75kwh, or about 2.5k/day. Can only hope with the days getting longer a minute or so every day that our production will start getting better.

Even though it was a blizzard here all day, I still managed to get loads powered during the day plus 2.5Kwh into the battery. 4 weeks without hitting 100% SOC. If I had lead acid, it would be dead by now from sulfation.

I'd go sit in the electric sauna to warm up but haven't ran the new wiring for it. :ROFLMAO:

Even though it was a blizzard here all day, I still managed to get loads powered during the day plus 2.5Kwh into the battery. 4 weeks without hitting 100% SOC. If I had lead acid, it would be dead by now from sulfation.

I'd go sit in the electric sauna to warm up but haven't ran the new wiring for it. :ROFLMAO:
How do you get so much power during a blizzard? How's the temps there? How's the ground mount handling the blizzard winds?

Supposed to hit single digits here Tuesday night, but not much snow. Probably won't get above freezing the next week. Hate winter, hate it..

How do you get so much power during a blizzard?

I was surprised, better than many cloudy days. Snow on the ground I suppose with panels tilted to 65° helps. You could see a glow at the sun's location so some rays made it thru.

How's the temps there?

I have -8F currently at 8pm. Wind is just howling, windshield factor probably -25F.

How's the ground mount handling the blizzard winds?

It does wiggle in the wind, I never did get the seasonal locking brace fabricated and installed. It is protected to the NW by a large 60x80 shed with 16 foot sidewalls. That helps.

Supposed to hit single digits here Tuesday night, but not much snow. Probably won't get above freezing the next week. Hate winter, hate it..
I used to spend free time in winter ice fishing a few days a week and just loved it. Rheumatoid arthritis makes that a little more difficult. I have a nice 60x72 heated shop with radiant floor heat so winter doesn't bother. I actually have been working on my Bobcat steering linkage today installing new bushings. I did get stuck with the plow truck today clearing out the driveway, the Bobcat would have been a better fit.

Below 0F for most of the week. It would be nice actually if the sun dogs come out instead of the 4 weeks of clouds, I might actually get some real PV production. For those of you to the south, sun dogs are present here when we get into the -20F area. Clear skies with ice crystals, cold temps.

I was surprised, better than many cloudy days. Snow on the ground I suppose with panels tilted to 65° helps. You could see a glow at the sun's location so some rays made it thru.

I have -8F currently at 8pm. Wind is just howling, windshield factor probably -25F.

It does wiggle in the wind, I never did get the seasonal locking brace fabricated and installed. It is protected to the NW by a large 60x80 shed with 16 foot sidewalls. That helps.

I used to spend free time in winter ice fishing a few days a week and just loved it. Rheumatoid arthritis makes that a little more difficult. I have a nice 60x72 heated shop with radiant floor heat so winter doesn't bother. I actually have been working on my Bobcat steering linkage today installing new bushings. I did get stuck with the plow truck today clearing out the driveway, the Bobcat would have been a better fit.

Below 0F for most of the week. It would be nice actually if the sun dogs come out instead of the 4 weeks of clouds, I might actually get some real PV production. For those of you to the south, sun dogs are present here when we get into the -20F area. Clear skies with ice crystals, cold temps.
Do you have bifacials? If not I guess the snow on the ground will help to bounce some of that diffused sun onto your panels. At least when it's this cold (and sunny), the production will be better.

Only 28 here, but the temps will only drop overnight, and probably won't be this temp all day tomorrow.

What's the "windshield factor"??

How's your battery bank doing? Say it's down to about 20%, can your array charge it all the way back up in one sunny day in the winter?

I only have one 5kwh batt, so it only takes about 2.5 hours to charge it from about 30%. We only got about 1kWh of production today, much better than yesterday.

I see it's about -5 at the Chiefs' game right now. Don't know if those fans are crazy or dedicated..

Do you have bifacials? If not I guess the snow on the ground will help to bounce some of that diffused sun onto your panels. At least when it's this cold (and sunny), the production will be better.

No bifacial, just single mono half cut cells. The winter tilt angle does help capture some of the snow reflected light.
Only 28 here, but the temps will only drop overnight, and probably won't be this temp all day tomorrow.

What's the "windshield factor"??

Should be wind chill factor. I don't know how I came up with windshield factor. Brain, autocorrect?

How's your battery bank doing? Say it's down to about 20%, can your array charge it all the way back up in one sunny day in the winter?

Usually can get to over 60% or more with good sun. I see I was close to 20% this morning. If the wife is home and runs the dishwasher, does 3 loads of laundry plus runs the dryer, it won't get that high. :)

Sky is clear today, I'll report later on production.

I only have one 5kwh batt, so it only takes about 2.5 hours to charge it from about 30%. We only got about 1kWh of production today, much better than yesterday.

Once you build up battery bank size it makes life so much easier. I'm at 58Kwh now. Probably add another 14Kwh before next winter.

I see it's about -5 at the Chiefs' game right now. Don't know if those fans are crazy or dedicated..
They probably are drinking plenty of antifreeze. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
December was a piece of cake. January however is turning out to be a difficult solar month. Not only very few days of sun but now it is so cold -3F with a 15mph wind blowing (higher gusts) that the wind chill factor is making me worry about my batteries. They are at floor level against an exterior wall. The walls are cold! It is all my fireplace can do to keep the main room at 68F. I am seriously thinking of putting a space heater in the area of my batteries to prevent freezing the next couple of days. The grid will have to provide.

No bifacial, just single mono half cut cells. The winter tilt angle does help capture some of the snow reflected light.

Windshield factor is also known as wind chill factor.

Usually can get to over 60% or more with good sun. I see I was close to 20% this morning. If the wife is home and runs the dishwasher, does 3 loads of laundry plus runs the dryer, it won't get that high. :)

Sky is clear today, I'll report later on production.

Once you build up battery bank size it makes life so much easier. I'm at 58Kwh now. Probably add another 14Kwh before next winter.

They probably are drinking plenty of antifreeze. :ROFLMAO:
Sunny here today, and cold, about 23. Batt got down to about 30%, but is just about topped off. With the array I have, I'm sure it could charge another 5kwh batt with a day of sunshine.

Is it above zero there yet?

You have the EG4 charge controller along with two LV6548's, right? Are you able to run all 16 of your panels into the one MPPT? Guess you have to do a 2P8S set-up? Or are you maybe running a 2P6S because the CC is rated to 5.5KW?

Propane truck was supposed to fill our tank this morning, but said they couldn't get up our driveway because of snow, which is ridiculous because all we got was a dusting of dry snow. They tried also Thursday and said they couldn't make it up the hill because it was too muddy. Give me a break.

Sunny and cold here at 9F. Haven't been running off solar for two weeks and kept the batteries warm and topped off in case of power outages.

A new array is producing 20% more volts going into the charger and causing a fault. It's 2 volts below the 150vdc maximum. It normally runs ~ 120vdc. I will wait until it warms up instead of taking a panel out of the string.

Last night was our first below zero temp for the season. Very odd warm winter here. We usually get below zero temps by mid December. Today's high temp is going to be around zero. A little sun today so all heat pumps are running and doing laundry, dishes ect. Might get a dump load ready just incase, but they say thicker clouds moving in by afternoon, hope not.

Sunny here today, and cold, about 23. Batt got down to about 30%, but is just about topped off. With the array I have, I'm sure it could charge another 5kwh batt with a day of sunshine.

Is it above zero there yet?

Won't get there today, or tomorrow, or the day after.

You have the EG4 charge controller along with two LV6548's, right? Are you able to run all 16 of your panels into the one MPPT? Guess you have to do a 2P8S set-up? Or are you maybe running a 2P6S because the CC is rated to 5.5KW?

8S string per MPPT, that is 4240W per MPPT. I should have checked voltage early this morning at first light. I do know by 9 am it was already over 2Kw battery charging. Right now only getting 5Kw as there is some haze in the sky.

I do not use the MPPT's in the LV6548's currently. I will be using at least 2 when I add more array this year. Probably just 4S per MPPT. 6S would put me over on VOC for the LV6548's. I planned on 11 panels left over so 4S on 2 MPPT's and 3S on another. 5S would work for VOC but I end up with an unused panel.

For the other 20 panels I will have to see what I use for an inverter in the shop.

I have been exploring the ability to divert PV to shop or house depending on the need.

Propane truck was supposed to fill our tank this morning, but said they couldn't get up our driveway because of snow, which is ridiculous because all we got was a dusting of dry snow. They tried also Thursday and said they couldn't make it up the hill because it was too muddy. Give me a break.
Around here a blizzard won't stop them. Hog confinement buildings need fill on a regular basis.

Sunny and cold here at 9F. Haven't been running off solar for two weeks and kept the batteries warm and topped off in case of power outages.

A new array is producing 20% more volts going into the charger and causing a fault. It's 2 volts below the 150vdc maximum. It normally runs ~ 120vdc. I will wait until it warms up instead of taking a panel out of the string.
I'd find a different charge controller or change the strings.

Last night was our first below zero temp for the season. Very odd warm winter here. We usually get below zero temps by mid December. Today's high temp is going to be around zero. A little sun today so all heat pumps are running and doing laundry, dishes ect. Might get a dump load ready just incase, but they say thicker clouds moving in by afternoon, hope not.
Did you get the heavy snow? We didn't get as much farther south but what did get is now hard packed in bigger drifts. I just came in from pushing by the back storage shed and it was not a pretty sight. Skid steer for the rest.

I have to run down to IA City next weekend if the weather straightens out, hopefully the wind doesn't bother.

Did you get the heavy snow? We didn't get as much farther south but what did get is now hard packed in bigger drifts. I just came in from pushing by the back storage shed and it was not a pretty sight. Skid steer for the rest.

I have to run down to IA City next weekend if the weather straightens out, hopefully the wind doesn't bother.
I am in central/north central WI. We missed the big stuff on both storms. We got about 4" per storm. Those were our first storms of the season. In a week they are forecasting near 40 degrees and rain......

I'd find a different charge controller or change the strings.
I have several options, the best of which is to move south where it is warmer.

It's not often this cold and this is a secondary array but I have a Victron in mind as I plan to increase this string.

thanks

I have several options, the best of which is to move south where it is warmer.

It's not often this cold and this is a secondary array but I have a Victron in mind as I plan to increase this string.

thanks
When it’s 11 degrees in NC at night the only place further south is Florida.

I’ve heard it’s getting rather crowded down there.

-3F with a 15mph wind blowing (higher gusts) that the wind chill factor is making me worry about my batteries.
I grew up north if Chicago. I know wind chill factor pretty well.

The faster the wind blows, the quicker it will cool down something that is warm or making heat. But the actual temperature will not go any lower than the real air temp. That is how fan cooling works. It cools faster, but can still only get the system down to a bit above the air temp. So -3 is all the colder the wall of the building will get, even in a 50 MPH wind. Too bad, that is still too cold to charge LFP batteries. Does the room have any heating? A few good old incandescent light bulbs can do wonders as long as the space is insulated. You need to block that fast moving cold air from getting in. Have still air and a heat source inside.

Sun dogs were out all day so it was clear sky with low temps. Wife did a few loads of laundry and ran the dryer. House loads since 8 am when production started was 12.7Kwh and battery charged 29.3Kwh for a total of 42.0Kwh.

Battery SOC increased about 50%. This is the best PV charging day since 29th of December. Before that was the 17th thru 20th. Those are basically the only PV charging days since December 16th.

It has been a sun desert here.

First good sun in 5 weeks and I can't use it. With 23" of snow this week, the bifacials soften just enough to allow most of it to slide off. The last of the snowfall fell after dark and crashing temperatures froze a layer that won't brush off. A few kW yesterday turned into only 300 W today, not enough heat to soften at -15 F.

Can anybody report on Powerpro heaters experience? Got 3 Powerpros front to back with a blanket of insulation wrapped around them. Just had 2 go into alarm; still at 80% SOC. Does the alarm mean the heaters are in service or it's too cold for them to work either?

Can anybody report on Powerpro heaters experience? Got 3 Powerpros front to back with a blanket of insulation wrapped around them. Just had 2 go into alarm; still at 80% SOC. Does the alarm mean the heaters are in service or it's too cold for them to work either?
I wouldn't expect the heating to come on unless charging.
But if you access the BMS information. You should be able to see what alarm is activated.

I wouldn't expect the heating to come on unless charging.
But if you access the BMS information. You should be able to see what alarm is activated.
The 2 with the alarm are at -8 C, the other is at -2 C. My guess the alarm indicates charging not available at this temperature. Does the Powerpro self consume to keep warm? At night is when the heaters would be most needed, if they don't operate without PV that would extend recovery time the next day. I added a space heater on low blowing under the insulation, see if that will correct the alarm.

diy solar

diy solar
Back