diy solar

diy solar

Bare ground wire

Liz@lowcountry

I have 3s4p with a combiner box 4/2 from watts 247, i ran a #6 bare ground wire. Can i run the bare ground through the nipple? Thks

I believe #8 is the largest solid wire you can put in a conduit by code. But nipples often don't obey the same rules as conduit. I haven't seen anything allowing solid wire larger than #8 in a nipple specifically.

There are rules for different types of wire inside of different types of conduit?

I understand there are rules for # of electrified conductors in a conduit called derating - that is a heat dissipation thing. It would make sense for this rule to be dependent on the type of conduit carrying the wires (or tubing ;). I also understand there is less heat dissipation issue going through a nipple than going through a long tube. So is derating needed for a nipple?

To have different rules based on stranded vs solid copper, how is that necessary?

A nipple (raceway under 24" in length) doesn't require any derating.
Fascinating!! I also did a quick google search and the NEC derating info I found doesn't seem to indicate any type of medium for the raceway. Thanks for helping me understand the correct generic word for different types of material carrying wires.

Fascinating!! I also did a quick google search and the NEC derating info I found doesn't seem to indicate any type of medium for the raceway.
No, it doesn't matter what material the raceway is made of. Only the fact that it restricts airflow. Which limits natural heat dissipation.

Back