diy solar

diy solar

Batrium SOC resets to 100% SOC

Zwy

Solar Wizard
I've run into this about 3 times now. The Batrium will reset SOC to 100% when there are consecutive days without reaching full charge. An example is yesterday I see SA shows about 7Kwh of charge went into the battery. Battery was at 40% in the morning, so there is no way I could reach 100%. I do have a Victron Smartshunt connected to SA and both shunts usually agree. Just now the Batrium showed 100% SOC and SA showed 44%.

I have inputted the correct SOC under Shunt MetricsSoc% tab. There must be a setting somewhere I'm missing. I understand the SOC needs to hit 100% occasionally for shunt drift but what is happening doesn't make sense. I have inputted the correct capacity for my bank. Re-calibrate Low SOC and High SOC are ON, Empty SOC% cycle threshold is fixed (non settable) at 35% and Full SOC% cycle threshold is factory default at 85% but can be set.

As a long time Batrium user (many years) I also have unexpected SOC events. There are 2 cases - occasional wild swings in SOC from one day to the next and sometimes (once a year) goes to 0% - maybe because of the wild swings. When it goes to 0% Batrium stops reporting shunt A and I've learned that the fix is to reset the SOC to something other than 0%. In years past there were some posts about 'interference'? with Batrium shunt due to current eddies? (I didn't really follow) that can cause strange behavior.

For me, since I operate in the middle voltage range (never fully charge to reset SOC) and because of my experiences, I don't use the SOC % for anything meaningful and just ignore it unless it goes to 0%.

Sorry I don't have an answer (and just complaining :) ) - will follow this thread for sure!

Last edited:
As a long time Batrium user (many years) I also have unexpected SOC events. There are 2 cases - occasional wild swings in SOC from one day to the next and sometimes (once a year) goes to 0% - maybe because of the wild swings. When it goes to 0% Batrium stops reporting shunt A and I've learned that the fix is to reset the SOC to something other than 0%. In years past there were some posts about 'interference'? with Batrium shunt due to current eddies? (I didn't really follow) that can cause strange behavior.

For me, since I operate in the middle voltage range (never fully charge to reset SOC) and because of my experiences, I don't use the SOC % for anything meaningful and just ignore it unless it goes to 0%.

Sorry I don't have an answer (and just complaining :) ) - will follow this thread for sure!
I saw some of your older posts in the Second Life forum regarding your problems with SOC in the Batrium. Mine never goes to 0%. It will reset to 100% if there are several consecutive days without reaching 100% SOC. What I think is happening is charging starts, the battery charges to let's say 40%. Then discharge overnight to 35%. The next day when charging starts, it somehow uses the last known SOC as 100%.

Just guessing, but maybe it resets on a shunt disconnect/reconnect?

I saw some of your older posts in the Second Life forum regarding your problems with SOC in the Batrium. Mine never goes to 0%. It will reset to 100% if there are several consecutive days without reaching 100% SOC. What I think is happening is charging starts, the battery charges to let's say 40%. Then discharge overnight to 35%. The next day when charging starts, it somehow uses the last known SOC as 100%.
In case it helps - here's my current settings / readings.... Not sure why "Empty SoC% cycle threshold" is showing blue in the action box.
1701103015650.png1701103132608.png

In case it helps - here's my current settings / readings.... Not sure why "Empty SoC% cycle threshold" is showing blue in the action box.
View attachment 179919View attachment 179921
I found where I can set EmptySoC% under Advanced and was able to change it from 35% to 15%. I also changed Recalibrate Low SOC to 10%.

I do have ReCalibrate in Bypass ON, I noticed you have it off. I never had a problem with it in Bypass.

I found where I can set EmptySoC% under Advanced and was able to change it from 35% to 15%. I also changed Recalibrate Low SOC to 10%.
Yes - I do this also to adjust things / bring things back in line if needed.

I do have ReCalibrate in Bypass ON, I noticed you have it off. I never had a problem with it in Bypass.
I don't use Bypass / reach full charge very often so I think I turned it off to reduce variables on my SoC issues.

Instead, I enable Auto-Level balance touch-ups for couple of weeks every 9 mons or so. Auto-Level works over the whole charge/discharge voltage range - whatever it happens to be from day to day. I do have18650 NMC with a wider voltage range than LifePo4 - and so it works well.

Last edited:
Yes - I do this also to adjust things / bring things back in line if needed.

I don't use Bypass / reach full charge very often so I think I turned it off to reduce variables on my SoC issues.

Instead, I enable Auto-Level balance touch-ups for couple of weeks every 9 mons or so. Auto-Level works over the whole charge/discharge voltage range - whatever it happens to be from day to day. I do have18650 NMC with a wider voltage range than LifePo4 - and so it works well.
I changed those settings and will see if the problem occurs again. It isn't important regarding SOC with the Smartshunt as backup, just annoying.

It won't hit 100% SOC in next few days. Today maxed out at about 65% SOC before clouds rolled in and tomorrow looks to be cloudy all day.

That would be a critical fault and trip the shunt breaker shutting down the whole system. The shunt is an integrated part of the BMS.
I've never tested whether intermittent connectivity would cause a fault. I don't use the Batrium shunt for anything because it's almost always wrong. It drifts especially if it doesn't see 100% for a while. I've found it can read at much as 10% high when SoC gets down to the ~20% area. I have a schnieder battery mon and two midnite whiz bang jr's that track each other consistently. But the batrium is the odd one.

I've never tested whether intermittent connectivity would cause a fault. I don't use the Batrium shunt for anything because it's almost always wrong. It drifts especially if it doesn't see 100% for a while. I've found it can read at much as 10% high when SoC gets down to the ~20% area. I have a schnieder battery mon and two midnite whiz bang jr's that track each other consistently. But the batrium is the odd one.
I have found mine to be very accurate. The Smartshunt once set for LFP peukert agrees within 1%.

Just came off a long stretch of no sun so lots of 15%<->60% back and forth. At 100% post balancing, the Batrium reads 90%. All other battery monitors read 100%. I could not reset the Batrium SoC. It would go through the motions with the "sent to unit" message, but no reset. I had to reboot the Batrium to be able to reset it. So something not quite right there in the reset function.

How does one retrieve the Critical Fault log?

Since this post it has happened twice when the furnace started the draft inducer and switched on the igniter while battery SOC was under 40%. I can not find a reason for the shunt trip and have looked for the fault log but can't find it.

It happened this morning when the furnace went to start. I was up and saw the BMS had reset to 99% SOC while the Victron had 37%. When the furnace kicked in, I heard the shunt trip and power switched to grid.

It's just a status/log report. You can find the location via
1703445404269.png
In my case....
1703445511640.png

You'll see "Snapshot_xxx" reports every day - I guess as an informational resource. When a critical even occurs, it's supposed to generate a Snapshot_xxx report (text file) that you can look at the state of things (values of things) and infer what caused it based on you're settings. BUT - It won't show anything like "this XX caused this YY and resulted in 'critical fault'" - it's just a snapshot of all the values in the vicinity in time of the 'event'.

TMI: I use the Logs report every 5 minutes option to parse and store all the snapshot values in a database so I can save trends, but as far as an 'instantaneous event' that caused a Critical Fault - never been able to see anything definitive other than perhaps pack voltage too hi or temp too hi leading up to an event.

Last edited:
It's just a status/log report. You can find the location via
View attachment 184913
In my case....
View attachment 184917

You'll see "Snapshot_xxx" reports every day - I guess as an informational resource. When a critical even occurs, it's supposed to generate a Snapshot_xxx report (text file) that you can look at the state of things (values of things) and infer what caused it based on you're settings. BUT - It won't show anything like "this XX caused this YY and resulted in 'critical fault'" - it's just a snapshot of all the values in the vicinity in time of the 'event'.

TMI: I use the Logs report every 5 minutes option to parse and store all the snapshot values in a database so I can save trends, but as far as an 'instantaneous event' that caused a Critical Fault - never been able to see anything definitive other than perhaps pack voltage too hi or temp too hi leading up to an event.
I've been in there but never found anything, plus the readings didn't seem current, always a week or so behind.

It has to be a setting somewhere. I can't recall exactly when the latest firmware update occurred but it might be related. Battery volts was around 52V when the event occurred this morning and SOC was reset sometime during the night to 100%. This shunt trip only occurs with lower SOC, about 3 to 4 days into it. Last time was 2 weeks ago on a Sunday, went to purchase a log splitter, came back and power was off. This morning I had grid power on so inverters switched over to grid, I heard the shunt trip trigger.

I've been in there but never found anything, plus the readings didn't seem current, always a week or so behind.

It has to be a setting somewhere. I can't recall exactly when the latest firmware update occurred but it might be related. Battery volts was around 52V when the event occurred this morning and SOC was reset sometime during the night to 100%. This shunt trip only occurs with lower SOC, about 3 to 4 days into it. Last time was 2 weeks ago on a Sunday, went to purchase a log splitter, came back and power was off. This morning I had grid power on so inverters switched over to grid, I heard the shunt trip trigger.
Agree that I've never found Batrium support's advice on this to be useful.
You could try the "Report ever 5 min" option and that should get the the state of things on average 2.5min before the event. Maybe that will show you a pack voltage or over-current or x something.

On the other end, when you re-enabled the system, was there anything immediately obvious as in a high pack voltage?

Agree that I've never found Batrium support's advice on this to be useful.
You could try the "Report ever 5 min" option and that should get the the state of things on average 2.5min before the event. Maybe that will show you a pack voltage or over-current or x something.

On the other end, when you re-enabled the system, was there anything immediately obvious as in a high pack voltage?
Repower up and cells were were sitting around 3.25V. Critical cell fault is set at 2.5V. I have inverters set to switch back to grid and charge battery back up at 49.0V and recharge set to 53.0V. It never was close to 49.0V as Solar Assistant shows 52.0V at the time the shunt trip took place.

Back