diy solar

diy solar

Batrium SOC resets to 100% SOC

Here is an update.

We had about 4 shunt trips within the last month. First was a Sunday while we were gone all day picking up a log splitter. Came home to a cold dark house. Reset ABB breaker and it worked just fine, battery SOC wasn't anywhere near where a cell could cause a critical fault.

The next Sunday it did it again. I could not determine a cause but I had grid power turned on to the inverters so they just went into bypass. About 8 days later, it did it again, that is when I asked about how to retrieve the fault log.

Today while in the office, I noticed on my laptop the SOC changed while all values went dead and it came back. It kept saying Shunt timeout under the Hardware tab-Shunt. I searched around in another forum, saw that 5 years ago Batrium had the problem with the CORE and people were experiencing a timeout fault. One post by Batrium mentioned turning off shunt monitoring. Weird I thought. It would be helpful if there was some information on the Batrium knowledge base what a Timeout meant.

I had reset the shunt SOC according to the Victron shunt SOC and it worked fine until the sun started going down. I happened to be in the office when again it reset the SOC and then it tripped a critical fault. I went to the house and decided to see if there was a problem with the shunt communication cable. Sure enough, one terminal on the shunt comm cable had a loose screw. This cable had the end installed by Batrium and I must not have ever checked it when I first installed the Batrium 10 months ago.

One thing learned is that indeed if the shunt has a communication timeout with the CORE, it will trip a critical fault. One would think this would have showed up when the system was first assembled, not 10 months later. The other 3 wires held the terminal in enough to have communication, why this problem just appeared is puzzling.

I never did figure out how to retrieve a critical fault log.

As a Batrium user, really appreciate the follow thru post! This story makes me think of my own journey a bit....

In the early years I had intermittent trouble with my longmon network - not understanding that things need to be 'tight' - so I replaced my hand twisted wire extensions with more regular cat-5 twisted wire pairs and hooked directly to the core instead of going thru their do-dad and all my problems went away for over 3 years now.

I still have occasional SOC go to 0 all of a sudden, maybe I need to tighten my shunt wires.... :)

Last edited:
As a Batrium user, really appreciate the follow thru post! This story makes me think of my own journey a bit....

In the early years I had intermittent trouble with my longmon network - not understanding that things need to be 'tight' - so I replaced my hand twisted wire extensions with more regular cat-5 twisted wire pairs and hooked directly to the core instead of going thru their do-dad and all my problems went away for over 3 years now.

I still have occasional SOC go to 0 all of a sudden, maybe I need to tighten my shunt wires.... :)
That is what mine did this morning, went to 0.

It was the factory supplied communication cable between the shunt and the CORE. It was the end with the yellow cover on it for color coding so the right port on the CORE is connected. Never changed the cable length, I just tied the excess up inside the battery box.

There is no 'critical fault log' - it literally is... create (or look at) a regular snapshot that shows values right before or after the event. If you find one, let me know :)
I have no idea how to get any of the info from the current day. It is always off by a week. :ROFLMAO:

I've literally never had a his happen in the 2 years I've been running a Batrium WM5 and MM8's
What models are you both running?
I guess it shouldn't matter, as far as I know, the shunt never changed.

I've literally never had a his happen in the 2 years I've been running a Batrium WM5 and MM8's
Info has always been rare/spotty from my perspective - could very well be a but a pre WM5 but till today, I've never heard of anyone else acknowledging unexpected 0 SOC. The 0 SOC 'condition' causes all my shunt readings (amps for example) to stop reporting / go to 0 and I have to reset the SOC manually to recover. It's annoying for me but does not affect operations.

I have WM4 (6 yrs now), WM5 (3yrs), and the latest (2023 WMCore) as a backup. All have expansion boards and both the WM4 and WM5 use a network of longmons.

The WM4 is the one with unexpected 0 SOC but it also has 126 longmons and the battery has cycled >1800 times and it's oldest as you mention.

The WM5 SoC hasn't gone to 0 but it's in my trailer and only 14 longmons and only cycled 30 times? - trivial use compared to the home powerwall.

Agreed

Just on the Batrium site and this interface looks new... a Web interface. It looks like it needs to pull data from my devices? but I don't let my data outside my local LAN. It says online / offline data availability but what does that mean? - doesn't mean local LAN vs they have the data.
1703904149172.png

Last edited:
There's a web access option now. Apparently, you connect your Watchmon to their server. I tried it, and I can install the toolkit on any PC and point it to the web access.

The performance is very bad. Updates are maybe every 10-15 seconds.

I have been unable to do anything with the app. It won't let me register.

I never had it happen until just a few months ago. Then it started becoming more common.

CORE with 4 K9's. 500A shunt.

It should not have happened, Batrium never assembled the comm cable correctly. The supplied cable for the shunt has a yellow plastic cover never occurred to me that it should be checked for integrity.

Lately my thoughts about Batrium are as follows. They did well early in the game years ago as the used EV battery market took off and competition wasn't that great. They provided decent support. Over time, competition increased, Batrium sales go down. They don't provide much information in the knowledge base and start pushing for paid educational classes and online support. The business model changed. It could even be possible the cable was intentionally not fully tightened in order to get a user to pay for support.

Info has always been rare/spotty from my perspective -

It seems to be getting worse. If you have a question, it is pay for support. Which may not find a solution either.

Just on the Batrium site and this interface looks new... a Web interface. It looks like it needs to pull data from my devices? but I don't let my data outside my local LAN. It says online / offline data availability but what does that mean? - doesn't mean local LAN vs they have the data.
View attachment 185794
Waste of time really. I have the Batrium wi fi connected to my house router. I can access the Batrium using the toolkit in my shop on a different pc. I could use Teamviewer or any other type of app to see the Batrium if needed. If there is a critical fault, I'll need to physically turn the shunt trip breaker back on. I can see if the system is working thru Solar Assistant. I don't need to see cell data everyday.

I see it says 10 year data logging. If the data logging is anything like it is currently, it should be a file of about 100 Kb. :ROFLMAO:

Back