diy solar

diy solar

Batteries randomly dumping Amps

to the OP

take this scenario, one shunt style meter (Magnum BMK) and another shunt style meter Bogart Trimetric both read different from my BMS's SOC reading. at first I thought my trusty Bogart had went out of wack somehow so I hooked the Magnum in it's place set its parameters and wha-la oh shyte! its reading different as well and its coming up with readings eerily similar to the Bogart.

quiet simply the BMS was not calculating properly and the Bogart and the magnum both were. the BMS and its program ignored charges, and draws under 3 amps... the magnum and the Bogart both did not. insta presto data drift for the BMS... i now ignore it and watch the magnum BMK. and even it will drift over a couple of months if it does not hit full charge at 3.45/cell for a while. if it hits it and holds for 15 minutes it will reset to 100%
not sure how accurate that hall effect type of columb counter is, but both the Bogart and the Magnum BMK cost over 200 USD.... might be a quality issue is all I am saying.

I have a box full of battery meters that I’ve gone through, both Hall effect and shunt. I’ve found the shunt type to be more accurate, particularly if it has BOTH voltage and current correction adjustments. The only one I really haven’t owned personally is the Victron smart shunt but I’ve tinkered with it and was impressed. Presently in use I have the first generation (battery displayed vertical) Juntek and have zero issues after the “dialing in” the corrections. Just wish that it displayed kWh instead of Ah capacity. I can go a week of cycles without full charge reset and it’s better than 2% error. I also have the newer version that I used on a test bed and it seems accurate but I don’t have enough time on it. Then there are all the others.
IMG_1352.jpegIMG_0960.jpegIMG_0965.jpegIMG_0963.jpegIMG_0962.jpegIMG_0961.jpeg

Ok so my Eco monitor may be crappy and inaccurate..ran perfectly for the last 2 yrs and perfect for the last 6months With the 400 amp batteries.
Never wavering or fluctuating eradically.
Solar puts in about 6% or 24 amps a day while running everything at about 6% a day.. so 12%..
Overnight everything draws about 6% out.
Day after day roughly the same until it slowly climbs to about 50% 200 Amps..in about 20 days..then bang... everything back to zero and restart .. again.
So yes it is just dumping it all in a second.
Whatever is the accurate soc of the batteries at the time seems irrelevant..it dumps it.

Don't know whether this is just dumb coincidence or not but I have a new crankin battery, a newish marine gel, both under the bonnet and the lithium in the rear. Also have 1200amp gels outside on an isolated solar system. Have my 4x4 with new battery to.
Crank battery..dead.. marine gel..dead.. outside gels..11.2v...4x4 battery..dead..
This has all happened only since I moved onto a 100 acre bush block.. it is ironstone ground.. can the ground or conditions here be having any influence...
Thanks for your time guys.. I appreciate it.

Ok so my Eco monitor may be crappy and inaccurate..ran perfectly for the last 2 yrs and perfect for the last 6months With the 400 amp batteries.
Never wavering or fluctuating eradically.
Solar puts in about 6% or 24 amps a day while running everything at about 6% a day.. so 12%..
Overnight everything draws about 6% out.
Day after day roughly the same until it slowly climbs to about 50% 200 Amps..in about 20 days..then bang... everything back to zero and restart .. again.
So yes it is just dumping it all in a second.
Whatever is the accurate soc of the batteries at the time seems irrelevant..it dumps it.

Don't know whether this is just dumb coincidence or not but I have a new crankin battery, a newish marine gel, both under the bonnet and the lithium in the rear. Also have 1200amp gels outside on an isolated solar system. Have my 4x4 with new battery to.
Crank battery..dead.. marine gel..dead.. outside gels..11.2v...4x4 battery..dead..
This has all happened only since I moved onto a 100 acre bush block.. it is ironstone ground.. can the ground or conditions here be having any influence...
Thanks for your time guys.. I appreciate it.
You’re going have to physically monitor it with a voltage meter at the actual battery terminals (rough ballpark voltage/capacity) to see if your monitor is freezing its readings. Check ALL your connections, measure across fuses and switches with load. That amount of stored energy your talking about just doesn’t disappear without leaving a mark,….unless you happen to live in one of those places where Google Earth blurs out the image.🥴

You’re going have to physically monitor it with a voltage meter at the actual battery terminals (rough ballpark voltage/capacity) to see if your monitor is freezing its readings. Check ALL your connections, measure across fuses and switches with load. That amount of stored energy your talking about just doesn’t disappear without leaving a mark,….unless you happen to live in one of those places where Google Earth blurs out the image.🥴
Unless it’s not disappearing suddenly, which would happen if the capacity meter has enough drift that it thinks there’s plenty of charge when actually there’s none and when the BMS finally cuts the battery off. It’s not a sudden disappearance of amp-hours, it’s a sudden correction to the (inaccurate) capacity meter.

I saw where when aliens hover overhead, all electrical gets drained. Then the bright light...
Anything feel tender, like you've been probed in last few days??
Nah no probing that I've felt Dave.. don't think it's alians.. just how can this all happen at once.
Woke up this morning and van started... I did nothing.. everything charged all day got 20%into it... thought ok..back to normal..then at 2am listening to music... everything went dead..
Bang .. nothing... rather than just take the piss ... you give me a reason...

I don't know skypower you know like I know I've done all that..even disconnected everything except solar, controller n batts...

Everything came to life this morning and everything worked fine..as I said it got to 20% then at 2am .
.. everything dead again.. I'm stumped

And no one here's even recognised the possible problem...
Just another thing.. since everything shut down.. I've been invaded by bugs.. got screens everywhere, all doors closed... sprayed the van 3 times and still covered in them.. yeah not electrical.. just sayin
... creepy place..
Unless it’s not disappearing suddenly, which would happen if the capacity meter has enough drift that it thinks there’s plenty of charge when actually there’s none and when the BMS finally cuts the battery off. It’s not a sudden disappearance of amp-hours, it’s a sudden correction to the (inaccurate) capacity meter.
Well possible if the monitor could be 50% out.. but I confirmed the Amps going in with the solar controller n using the multi both voltage and loop for amps..I know they were there.... just don't know how or why they dissapeared..or all unrelated batteries died..then today.. everything started..alt charging..then bang...
You can see I'm a long time vanner.. I'm buggered..

5 years ago I was on my boat in the California delta, dead calm and it had just gotten completely dark. I had all my doors and screens shut and billions of these things the size of a pin got in and covered the TV screen. Fired up the vacuum and that was that.
As for the weirdness happening where you’re at, I’d be tempted to get the heck out of there… at least for a while

"And no one here's even recognised the possible problem..."

Oh I'm pretty sure eggo pointed out the issue with his 3 item list and concerns over the inaccuracy of the battery meter

Bottom line is the batteries are NOT charged as much as you think.

They aren't dumping anything.

They're simply at a much lower state of charge than the equipment is reporting.

I suspect if you hook a wall charger to them they will take a good long drink.

Wally what is your full charge voltage on the lifepo4 cells and how often does it get there or the last time. As mentioned before, monitors need to hit full charge to reset capacity, otherwise they can be way off. You can’t go by voltage especially under any load.

Back