diy solar

diy solar

Batteries under the house?

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
I recently ended up with 57.6kWh of lifepo4 batteries cheap, which has me considering backing up my entire house using a Sol-Ark 15k. That said, the inverter would mount outside next to the main panel and unfortunately there is no good place for a big battery setup outside. However, I do have plenty of room under the house, just your standard crawl space, maybe 36" tall etc.

I don't imagine it freezes under the house for obvious reasons, and summers should be relatively cool. Accessibility in that side of the house isn't ideal, nor is moving 24 batteries at 60 pounds a piece, but once there, I wouldn't expect to need to touch them for years to come. I'd build some form of platform to keep them up off the ground in the event of water intrusion etc. Thoughts?

Rodents. Chewing.

Bugs. Webs.

Enclosure a must.

You WILL regret the 36" clearance. Never assume that you won't need to get at the batteries every now and then.

Rodents. Chewing.

Bugs. Webs.

Enclosure a must.

You WILL regret the 36" clearance. Never assume that you won't need to get at the batteries every now and then.
I'm a low voltage contractor by trade, I spend plenty of time under houses and in attics so it's not THAT big of a deal to me here and there. We really don't have rodents to speak of here and bugs are pretty limited to spiders and the occasional ant.

I'm a low voltage contractor by trade, I spend plenty of time under houses and in attics so it's not THAT big of a deal to me here and there. We really don't have rodents to speak of here and bugs are pretty limited to spiders and the occasional ant.

Remember that line from Jurassic Park?

"Life will find a way."

Enclosure a must.

Back