diy solar

diy solar

Battery(300) Design Open Sourced

sunrise

Hi all,
A few months ago I made a post about my 3D printed battery design based on EVE 304ah cells. The project was completed a month ago but I have been very busy with work since then.

I just managed to find some time to push the design to Github
https://github.com/xiaotian/300

The Fusion models are fully parametric, so you can tweak dimensions of cells, clearance, etc, to fit your needs.

For beginners, some instructions, BOM would be great, I will find time to add these later.

For folks that didn't see my original post, it's a very compact battery (304ah) with 200A JBD BMS. The size is about the same as a Battleborn 100ah unit. It's been installed in my 16 Airstream. I started the project because there is no commercially available product (>= 300ah) that fits in the space in my Airstream. It's been powering the 2000w inverter and even a 13500BTU A/C. I am super happy with it.

Thank you for being patient and happy building!
model.png
render.png

Recents - 1 of 1 (8).jpegRecents - 1 of 1 (7).jpegRecents - 1 of 1 (10).jpeg

Fantastic work, thanks for sharing your design. I have the same batteries and bms, and was mulling over the case design for some while. Will try to figure out what parts are needed to make this work and see if this can be printed on an Ender 3.

OMG! Just sent 3d printing enthusiast son the link to tweak your work for my 280ah and 150 JBD...Bye Bye Plywood!!!

Fantastic work, thanks for sharing your design. I have the same batteries and bms, and was mulling over the case design for some while. Will try to figure out what parts are needed to make this work and see if this can be printed on an Ender 3.
Glad you liked it, I think all parts should fit ender 3's bed, except for the top cover, which barely fit my CR-10. However, you can slice the top into 2, it should work, as each would still be hold in place by 4 screws. When I have time I will create a Ender3 export.

Yes, the parts seem to just barely fit the print bed. I was also thinking to split the top into two, but still needed to get fusion 360 installed (only have novice experience with freecad, 3d printing in general).

Can you share the slicer settings and filament used for your print? Since this is going to be a multi-day print, I was hoping to eliminate as many variables as possible. I was planning to order two rolls of filament and I really like how your print turned out. I was going to try gyroid infill since honeycomb wasn't an option in Cura, and it seems like supports might be needed.

Last edited:
What are they size of your 304ah batteries? Are they not the same size as the eve 280ah?

What are they size of your 304ah batteries? Are they not the same size as the eve 280ah?
The EVE 304 are 204.4mm high on the case from the spec sheet, there is a -1mm or +1mm on the size.

https://diysolarforum.com/resources...fication-data-sheet-version-b-2020-06-18.243/

I’m sure the design height can be changed as sunrise has used user parameters for his dimensions on fusion 360, so you should be able to drop the shoulder height on the case section if your cells are shorter, but I’m sure that one of the eve 280 batteries are the same height, there are 2 eve versions out there, it worth looking into that

The EVE 304 are 204.4mm high on the case from the spec sheet, there is a -1mm or +1mm on the size.

https://diysolarforum.com/resources...fication-data-sheet-version-b-2020-06-18.243/

I’m sure the design height can be changed as sunrise has used user parameters for his dimensions on fusion 360, so you should be able to drop the shoulder height on the case section if your cells are shorter, but I’m sure that one of the eve 280 batteries are the same height, there are 2 eve versions out there, it worth looking into that
Thanks ..I'll just have to do some actual measuring instead of just thinking about it. My son is the 3D printing guy and he said this is very doable and looking forward to me getting the measurements for him. We might be doing a Renogy type color scheme

Thanks ..I'll just have to do some actual measuring instead of just thinking about it. My son is the 3D printing guy and he said this is very doable and looking forward to me getting the measurements for him. We might be doing a Renogy type color scheme
Actual measurements are the way to go, if it shorter you can always ad a packer under the cell without adapting the file

If i recall the earlier EVE 280 were around 201mm high and the newer 280 EVE model is about 204.

So it shouldn't be hard to find a 3mm cutting board or other material to make up the difference if you do have the shorter version

So it shouldn't be hard to find a 3mm cutting board or other material to make up the difference if you do have the shorter version
Good Point! Alot easier to add spacers if my pack is smaller.
Son was telling me the thing he was worried about was that if he had to stretch or shorten it it might skew the holes for the rods and or the screws

Son was telling me the thing he was worried about was that if he had to stretch or shorten it it might skew the holes for the rods and or the screws
you can Tell I’m not use to 3D printing, as it would just be easier to print a packer to the exact size required.

I’ll need to change my mentality once my printer arrives

I'm hoping there are others that are thinking this but afraid to ask. Is there a place that can build these boxes for those that do not have a printer or even the skills to play with the keyboard to make it work? I'm more of a mechanical guy that can get most anything working except for software.

I'm hoping there are others that are thinking this but afraid to ask. Is there a place that can build these boxes for those that do not have a printer or even the skills to play with the keyboard to make it work? I'm more of a mechanical guy that can get most anything working except for software.
There are people and companies that will print these for you, you just have to have a search for one near you.

A lot of the smaller companies that sell filament online offer this service, as for cost i don't know

There are people that sell Lifepo4 batteries but not all of them are legitimate. Any recommendations?

There are people that sell Lifepo4 batteries but not all of them are legitimate. Any recommendations?
It depend on where you are, I used Amy Wan from

Shenzen Luyuan Technology Co. LTD. Alibaba​

And i would use her again, shipping times are long at the moment.

Some are using Jenny Wu of Doncan Technology (Shenzhen) Co as the have USA stock and also shipping from China, people seem happy with her, its worth reading the threads about both companies

As with all cells, its buyers beware, look at reviews and the quality being sent before price.

Cheapest isn't always the best outcome, and i would not even look at cells on Aliexpress

Ok, let me spell this out more clear. Is there any people/companies that are recommended to print out this battery box that is the topic of this tread.

I used Daisy at Docan and I'm happy with the service but I do not think she prints battery boxes.

Sorry i read your reply as talking about batteries and nothing to do with 3D printing.

it might be worth opening your own thread so you get more people looking at your request, as only the people in this thread can see your question.

Yes, the parts seem to just barely fit the print bed. I was also thinking to split the top into two, but still needed to get fusion 360 installed (only have novice experience with freecad, 3d printing in general).

Can you share the slicer settings and filament used for your print? Since this is going to be a multi-day print, I was hoping to eliminate as many variables as possible. I was planning to order two rolls of filament and I really like how your print turned out. I was going to try gyroid infill since honeycomb wasn't an option in Cura, and it seems like supports might be needed.
There wasn't much special slicer settings, 0.2mm layer height, 15% infill.
There are 2 things I'd recommend
1. You will need to have your extruder stepper calibrated. I have done many, many smaller prints in past 2 years and never had any issues. but when I print the first battery cell section part, everything was fine until to last 1/4, somehow it was fairly under extruded and the walls became very soft. So I had to calibrate the extruder stepper. After that everything was great.
2. Use stick glue, hairspray. I thought I could get away with just my fancy tempered glass bed with brims in slicer - I didn't want to wash the glue off the bed after each print, plus I never had to use glue stick with PLA. unfortunately, that caused some corner lifting - that's why in the photo you see small gaps at the cell section corners.

Son is printing the first cell housing now and will bring it over this weekend to see if we need to do any adjustments. This is going to be a long time in the making since we only see him on the weekends.

The Fustion 360 file I included is fully parametric, your son should be able to change the new cell dimension with a few clicks. see the screenshot below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 11.58.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 11.58.13 AM.png
    432.9 KB · Views: 28
Back