diy solar

diy solar

Battery charger you may like for your 280AH packs.

Roswell Bob

Solar Enthusiast
Here is what I am looking at to charge 280AH pack. I am going to drive this with Champion inverter generator. Links below.

The charger has Power Factor Correction (PFC) PFC pulls nice sinewaves off of the generator. This is important as I intend to run the 3500w inverter generator at max load. If your charger doesn't have PFC there is a good chance that the generator will burp and fart and then give up. If you have any questions or comments I would like to hear. I design power conversion gear for a living so that I may be able to answer questions.

It is a 55A 48v charger. Do you think that $516.22 is too much to pay for this? Do you have a suggestion for a better deal?

Yes. You are correct. I have a 4kW 120/240v auto-transformer that would get ma back to 240v to allow 55A of charging. The PFC is important to me tho. I have seperate inverters and MPPT chargers. Although the AIMS inverters have charging capability I don't use it. I prefer not to use all-in-one units that do everything. I have spare generators. inverters. chargers and so forth.

I am quarter mile from dirt road which is a ways from the paved roads. It is nice to know that my home which is off grid has 100% reliability -power wise.

I will look at the PIP unit closer. The pricing looks very good. Thank you for time.

Ah. You made no mention of an autotransformer - just a 120VAC generator.

Honey Badger Ranch is about 1/2 mile from paved roads and all off grid as well. I respect your "backup" and reliability attitude. I have a spare Quattro and a 24V inverter with 5kWh of AGM batteries as "backup".

Yes, my spec was incomplete. I am a UW Badger. Spent some time working down in Oro Valley a few years back and totally fell in Love with AZ. You are fortunate to be in warm place.

Back