diy solar

diy solar

Battery enclosure recommendation to meet code

happycloud

Im finding little info on this but plan examiner said batteries must be in an battery enclosure. When I search I see $$$ meant for security and management. I will be dealing w 4 batteries (BattleBornBatteries BBGC3H - kind of long). Does anyone know more details on the requirements? I asked the examiner for more info but he referred me to docs in which I am not quote seeing what I need. Here's the response:

"The batteries need to be in a box unless they are the giant Tesla batteries that are self contained.
Refer to 2018 IRC R327.
Refer to 2017 NEC 480, 690.71."

Note that I was trying to put them in a tight location so some of the code he mention may be about clearance

I currently store everything (batteries and inverter etc) in one of those big jobsite metal lockable boxes - 2'x2'x5'. I would love to keep it there but I read a vague mention that batteries must be enclosed separate from electrical equipment though not sure where the line is drawn since I am clearly connecting things together.

You can get free access to read codes here:
They will try and get you to pay, but there is a free option.

I currently store everything (batteries and inverter etc) in one of those big jobsite metal lockable boxes - 2'x2'x5'. I would love to keep it there but I read a vague mention that batteries must be enclosed separate from electrical equipment though not sure where the line is drawn since I am clearly connecting things together.
I've got my batteries in a job box like that, inspected and approved in California ik 2021. It wouldn't pass current codes, but it did pass in 2021.
Batteries and supporting equipment only.

Post in thread 'Adding Schneider XW Pro' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/adding-schneider-xw-pro.19090/post-461423

Back