diy solar

diy solar

battery management

xcentric

Learning, fast and slow.....
I have a Voltacon system with 2x 5kWh LiFePO4 batteries with RS485 comms between the batteries and the inverter. So far so normal - but I'd like to expand the battery capacity.

I have 2 options - the first is get more of the same batteries and extend the comms and so manage them that way, which is ok but may tie me into more expensive battery packs. It's possible I can get cheaper packs, and so I gather I would then need to connect them up to the inverter - but what about the battery management? Will a (pre bought) battery pack have a built in BMS that will just work on the connection to the inverter - and if so, should I disconnect the comms for the other packs? or can I leave them as closed loop and just add the others in as open loop? Or do I need a separate BMS that I connect into the system - and if so where?

thanks in advance!

If the battery pack has a built-in BMS and can connect to the inverter and manage its charge and discharge process, you will not need to disconnect the communication from the other battery packs.

Back