diy solar

diy solar

Battery monitor wiring?

Doug Wall

I'm getting one of the cheapo $8 voltage based battery "capacity" monitors for the 12v pack that I'm building. For the wiring location, I'm thinking directly across the battery rather than the output of the BMS. By doing that, I would still get battery info, even if the BMS shuts down for some reason. Does this sound reasonable?

By doing that, I would still get battery info, even if the BMS shuts down for some reason. Does this sound reasonable?

Would be fine, as long as you have another way to tell if the BMS has shut down. Could cause some confusion if you see voltage, but things are not working.

I'm getting one of the cheapo $8 voltage based battery "capacity" monitors for the 12v pack that I'm building. For the wiring location, I'm thinking directly across the battery rather than the output of the BMS. By doing that, I would still get battery info, even if the BMS shuts down for some reason. Does this sound reasonable?

Can you link to the battery monitor that you are describing? What type of BMS are you using?

"Would be fine, as long as you have another way to tell if the BMS has shut down."
Yes, there will actually be another volt meter on the outputs of the BMS.

"Can you link to the battery monitor that you are describing? What type of BMS are you using?"
The build is with the Battery Hookup 100Ah modules and the 100A BMS that they supply with the kit.

The "capacity" meter is one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284470652858?hash=item423bc5afba:g:a8gAAOSwEHxhVUN1
I realize, of course, that these aren't really a true capacity meter, just something cheap to provide a little check. For real capacity, I can just check the load, and do the calculation.

Shunt meter that is not too expensive.

Also the Bluetooth BMS that Battery Hookup (out of stock for 12v) and Overkill Solar sells, has a phone app that will show amp hours like a shunt meter does.

1636117457628.png

Here is another item you might be interested in. It is a cell level monitor/alarm. You can set it to something like 3.1v (only in 0.1v increments) and if one cell gets to 3.1 it will start beeping so you know you are getting low, before the BMS trips.

Back