diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading 15s Battery to 16s

Sounds right to me, but... how is the 16th cell connected to the pack? How long is the circuit, and what is the size conductor?
Could simply be a voltage drop from connection size

On initial charge before installing the BMS I took everything up to 3.6V each (the original 15s pack and the 1 new Eve cell) and then let it settle. Recharged with the BMS installed up to 56.5V, so 3.53/cell and let the BMS finish balancing down to 0 mA.

0 mV?

Should I have done something differently?

Sounds fine. If you can charge to your target full voltage, and you pull full capacity, it's good enough.

I am planning on upgrading a 15s battery as well....Does anyone see a problem with adding a 280ah battery to the 15 exisiting 200ah cells?

I am planning on upgrading a 15s battery as well....Does anyone see a problem with adding a 280ah battery to the 15 exisiting 200ah cells?

Physical constraints not considered - Not if you top balance it and understand that you still have a 200Ah battery... probably less because your 15S 200Ah may not have 200Ah anymore.

I would get an active balancer for the battery as well, having a single large cell may confuse the bms and cause the others to drift balance.

I would get an active balancer for the battery as well, having a single large cell may confuse the bms and cause the others to drift balance.
Yeah mine is behaving a bit oddly at upper states of charge, the new 105 Ah Eve cell voltage jumps up before the other cells, leaving a lot of work for the balancer to do. It does balance out, but I'll be interested to see performance when I get a higher current capable charger.

Back