diy solar

diy solar

Battery Power Relay - Monostable or bistable?

PyroRider

I am building a lifepo4 battery bank (16S 304Ah) and want to include a relay to be able to disconnect the battery even when the bms fails to. Now I have the choice between a 300A normal relay or what I would rather use due to the power needed to keep the relay closed is a bistable relay. The normal one uses nearly 12W, the bistable uses 0 when not being activly switched.
The relay is capable of switching under short circuit conditions, would you see a problem using a bistable relay with a sutiable contol (that has a buffer supply to switch in an emergency)?

I've done exactly that on a 48V DIY LFP battery. Removed the parasitic contactor and replaced it with a latching contactor (bistable)
Developed a control board with capacitors so the disconnecting power source was independent of the main battery or BMS. I posted a couple of YT videos, can provide links if you are interested.

I've done exactly that on a 48V DIY LFP battery. Removed the parasitic contactor and replaced it with a latching contactor (bistable)
Developed a control board with capacitors so the disconnecting power source was independent of the main battery or BMS. I posted a couple of YT videos, can provide links if you are interested.
Please share what you've done :D

This is the link to the Duracool contactor and PCB I ended up using on my DIY battery.

There are a couple other videos with a Remote Trip Breaker control board and a 12V latching contactor which takes quite a bit more current to operate. Its momentary but complicates the control board due to the high amps.

Back