diy solar

diy solar

Battleborn 12 volt Battery inverter issue

evilroy

My new Battleborn 12 volt 100 Amp battery keeps kicking my power inverters Over Voltage shutoff safety refusing to let them function with battery at full charge and as low as 30% charge, two inverters over voltage protection both show 15 volts but the one that worked showed over voltage protection at 15.5 volts.
Charge on the battery shows 14.4 volts on three devices for confirmation, contacted BB Jesse and they have no answer except it can't do that, reality is very different.
Anyone else having this issue?

Never heard of that. Ive never seen my battleborns gets over 14.2v. Have you tried checking with an actual multimeter?

Never heard of that. Ive never seen my battleborns gets over 14.2v. Have you tried checking with an actual multimeter?
First thing was with multi meter, then charger and even solar charge controller all gave same reading with nothing connected to the battery.

My new Battleborn 12 volt 100 Amp battery keeps kicking my power inverters Over Voltage shutoff safety refusing to let them function with battery at full charge and as low as 30% charge, two inverters over voltage protection both show 15 volts but the one that worked showed over voltage protection at 15.5 volts.
Charge on the battery shows 14.4 volts on three devices for confirmation, contacted BB Jesse and they have no answer except it can't do that, reality is very different.
Anyone else having this issue?

What's the cable size between the inverter and the BB? What's the inverter's max charge amperage? And if the inverter isn't putting out 15v (it shouldn't), then it can't possibly see 15v on the DC line. Does the inverter have a separate voltage sense lead connected to the battery?

I think we need a lot more detail about your setup for us to be able to help. I actually suspect something other than the battery.

Something does not make sense to me if the Voltage at the BB battery terminals shows 14.4V then I cannot see how the inverter will go onto over Voltage shutdown when the source is 14.4V as measured. So the Voltmeter on the inverters show >15VDC?

If charge controller and inverter share a cable run to the battery, during a load-dump situation the voltage seen might jump.
Does this occur when charge controller is active? If so, try shutting off/disconnecting source. If that solves it, cable separately.

Do cables form a large loop area? (big spacing between positive and negative). That causes inductance.

Problem will be resolved with 12 volt fridge, the current inverter is rated at 750 running amps but can handle 1500 watt burst so inverter is fine, just complains a bit and is the only one of three that will even work with the BB battery, the other over riding issue is the BB lack of capacity, this too should be resolved with the 12 volt fridge.
Ultimately BB told me this 100 Ah battery would out perform my flooded 235 Ah batteries. . .it does not but by working with the battery to work within it's abilities and reduce its load it will work out, this is something I should have done long ago so there is no down side, with the BB I have no fumes, no watering, much faster charge times and with proper care it will far outlast my old floodeds which did function for 5 of 7 years.

You mean 750 running Watts, not 750A.The 1500w PEAK is onlky good for about 50mSec (that is about 3 cycles of 60HZ AC) in most inverter unless the spec says otherwise.
The fridge surge cureent can be 4 ~ 7 times the running current. My firdge running current is about 3A but when the compressor kiks on it is about 22A, my 1500W (3000W surge cannot handle that), but the 3000W (6000W surge) can start the fridge with no issue. BTW, do you have peak hold current meter? That is a good tool to have.

Being that my 110 volt refrigerator is now history these issues are also, I fully anticipate the 12 volt fridge / freezer will eliminate all past and present issues when it arrives any day now.

Back