diy solar

diy solar

Battleborn four BB10012 battery bank failure

This makes no sense. What are they smoking for breakfast? I wish they would chime in here and explain how this is a good idea?!
IMHO I don’t think they will, as doing so would mean admission of “said defect” and probably cause to have to do a recall on all “affected” batteries. Easier for the to blame the customer for “loose connections causing heat”.

This makes no sense. What are they smoking for breakfast? I wish they would chime in here and explain how this is a good idea?!
Yeah, makes me feel real secure if I was on a transatlantic voyage where I can just pull over to the curb and step away. No problems right?

I have found the same. Even Aluminum is a much better conductor than brass.

Victron shunt uses brass not aluminum, literally every electrical outlet on home depot will have brass pins and not copper. What that bluesea company is saying is misleading.

Victron shunt uses brass not aluminum, literally every electrical outlet on home depot will have brass pins and not copper. What that bluesea company is saying is misleading.

When brass is used, you just need a greater mass of metal than if using copper. It will still conduct electricity just fine, just more metal is needed for the same result.

Agreed. But either way, isn’t this what warranties are for?

I mean if Toyota had a run of cars where during the manufacturing they forgot to tighten down the brake caliper bolts, how long would their reputation last if they refused to fix this under warranty?

In this case of the Battle Born batteries, this is a major quality control factor. Am I misunderstanding and misrepresenting here? As I understand it, the main terminal bolts are coming loose from the main cables internally, under high vibration…is this a valid summary? Because why didn’t they use some thread locker to prevent this?
Most companies will hassle the little guy until enough little guys get the attention through lawyers or the gov. MAKES them do something. Most won't volunteer a solution until they are made to.

I chuck the brass bolts for shunts. Im not concerned about conductivity of the fastener, I’m more concerned about how much torque I can get on it without it snapping. Brass breaks if you look at it wrong. I just did a shunt connection. The shunt tabs are electroless nickel plated brass and the shiny busses are tinned copper. The bolts are common steel hardware. No-ox-id A special antioxidant between the joints. I count on the junction of parts to carry the load not the fasteners.
IMG_0897.jpeg

I dislike bashing a particular company. But this failure in the terminal connections wreak havoc on a s/p system.

You all have educated me. My system rebuilds will only include batteries of matching voltage to the system, ie: 24 vdc units or 48 vdc units. No more series/parallel for MY systems

Approaching my mid-seventies, I am not sure that will happen anytime soon.

Airstream has chosen Battle Born for their off grid luxury trailer.

I chuck the brass bolts for shunts. Im not concerned about conductivity of the fastener, I’m more concerned about how much torque I can get on it without it snapping. Brass breaks if you look at it wrong. I just did a shunt connection. The shunt tabs are electroless nickel plated brass and the shiny busses are tinned copper. The bolts are common steel hardware. No-ox-id A special antioxidant between the joints. I count on the junction of parts to carry the load not the fasteners.
View attachment 163967
Use Silicon Bronze fasteners. There are a few that have an astm certified rating for strength that cn be torqued higher than non certified ones.

Airstream has chosen Battle Born for their off grid luxury trailer.

Wise move. Doesn't matter if BB is overpriced or if they are the best.
What matters is they are consistent. Just look at Will's videos showing companies making a good battery at first and then once people start buying them they swap out the good stuff for crap.

Airstream needs for each battery to work the same purchase after purchase.

I’d also wager Airstream prob consulted BB on the install/design and had they sign off to minimize any warranty claims of the failure seen in this thread. Proper mounting, and low current demand.

I would like to note that this is the one and only post identifying this problem with BattleBorn batteries. I bought mine years ago and have not had any problems with them. I suspect this is not a common problem or recurring problem.

Last edited:
Back