diy solar

diy solar

Be wary of SOK

wntrhwk

I have had one 100ah SOK BT/non-heated battery from SOK, that for the past year, has been great. Decided to get another one 3 months ago and went with the heated version. I hooked them up in parallel and had discharged around 40amps, with a 10amp draw, both BMS BT radios reporting 5 amps being drawn each, cell balance on all 8 cells looking great. All of a sudden the "new" BMS BT stopped showing up in the app. I thought for some reason that BMS went to sleep, put 14.4v across the terminals, nothing, reading 10.9v while the other battery read 13.25v. Switched BMS's, now my older battery showed 10.9v, obviously the BMS. SOK have been running me around from Sales to their Tech support, which is impossible to get a hold of. I know Mr Prose hyped these guys, the battery IS well made, but the support is crap. Would not recommend. Don't take my word, just Google their support. Since their support is of no help, if anyone has any ideas as to what is failing in my case, or other troubleshooting steps, I am all ears.

I think you talk to Current Connected for SOK battery warranty (someone else went through that recently?) If you're in the USA at least. SOK should have directed you to them.

I don’t think you’re supposed to parallel the heated versions. At least that’s what I saw a number of months ago in their manual.

Sparky, you are correct, after a week working with SOK, they directed me to CurrentConnected. Have been trying to get a hold of someone there, strangly their phone system says they are closed.

Gavin, never heard that after a week of troubleshooting with SOK. Good to know, if I ever get someone to warranty replace mine I will ask for the non-heated. Thx for the heads up.

I don’t think you’re supposed to parallel the heated versions. At least that’s what I saw a number of months ago in their manual.
Not true. No series connections though.

Thanks @SparkyJJO for the tag.

I've got a DM going with the OP here and am trying to figure out who he is, and what information I can find on this.

This coming from someone who apologized to me about the advice and treatment from one of his Techs. I Never threatned anyone with a chargeback, which he has never explained, he just seems to throw words around to see if it sticks. I did say that if I could not return the battery for a refund I would let the CC company take care of it. Anyway, this character has made my point for me, the product is good, Tech support is a bunch or 8th grader's posing as adults. If you do have to deal with them, be careful. Oh, and , I have had a great relationship with China, they know the truth about what ACTUALLY happened.

I too have had poor support from SOK. In responding to a query for a missing specification in the spec doc for the 100Ah battery, they simply directed me to the spec doc. I replied that I aleady checked the spec doc, and that they did not address the question: no response. I always remind my engineers "I/We don't know" is an acceptable answer... at least you're not hiding something.

Our tech sent you:
Hello,
Your batterie was received on Friday, and we hooked it up to the power supply/load center. We applied a 120amp load, and it was able to push 120amps without issue. We charged it at 14.6 volts and 50amps it charged no problem right up to 14.6 volts. We pushed the charge up to 14.8volts to test the BMS which it cut off the charge right at 14.8 volts like the BMS should. The battery is currently sitting fully charged ready to ship back once the invoice is paid. We cannot offer a full refund on the battery it is used. You do not need a new charger your Victron unit will work fine it will just take hours to charge at 10amps. The other charger is not appropriate for any lithium battery, if you ever have issues with the Battle Born they will not warranty them based on the charger used. We can issue a refund with a restocking fee of 40%. The battery has been fully tested and ready to ship back today.
And you replied:
I will just send the emails I have received, including the one stating I will need to buy another charger to maintain your battery, to Bank of America, and they can deal with you, I cannot trust what you say. Trying to walk back what you said about me not having enough power will certainly not go in your favor. Along with your emails I will send correspondence from SOK, where one of their Techs stated you gave me incorrect information about their battery. Feel free to contact SOK to verify.
So, I don't think you can say:
I Never threatned anyone with a chargeback

Especially considering we ended up paying shipping both to our facility and back to you for a 100% operational battery which is completely against our warranty and return policy.

Your continued to be rude to our team, make claims the battery was faulty, and yes, I stepped in and was extremely nice to you and apologized anyway because I wanted to de-escalate the situation and move on.

You want to shove that in my face? OK. This is exactly why I'm not helping you on the batteries you purchased elsewhere. Good luck.

I hope the readers consider that sometimes those complaining about poor customer service are the rudest people that mistreat others then play the victim.

This coming from someone who apologized to me about the advice and treatment from one of his Techs. I Never threatned anyone with a chargeback, which he has never explained, he just seems to throw words around to see if it sticks. I did say that if I could not return the battery for a refund I would let the CC company take care of it. Anyway, this character has made my point for me, the product is good, Tech support is a bunch or 8th grader's posing as adults. If you do have to deal with them, be careful. Oh, and , I have had a great relationship with China, they know the truth about what ACTUALLY happened.
I'm confused. It seems like your the 8th grader in this scenario.

Our tech sent you:

And you replied:

So, I don't think you can say:

Especially considering we ended up paying shipping both to our facility and back to you for a 100% operational battery which is completely against our warranty and return policy.

Your continued to be rude to our team, make claims the battery was faulty, and yes, I stepped in and was extremely nice to you and apologized anyway because I wanted to de-escalate the situation and move on.

You want to shove that in my face? OK. This is exactly why I'm not helping you on the batteries you purchased elsewhere. Good luck.

I hope the readers consider that sometimes those complaining about poor customer service are the rudest people that mistreat others then play the victim.
Nice words, you failed to say that you were keeping my battery after your testing, which you requested, until I paid for return shipping. Your wanting to test the battery was all that was discussed with me, not a huge shipping charge for me to receive MY battery back. I guess you forgot that detail. Facts are facts, you were the instigator in this, so how is playing victim workingfor you?

Nice words, you failed to say that you were keeping my battery after your testing, which you requested, until I paid for return shipping. Your wanting to test the battery was all that was discussed with me, not a huge shipping charge for me to receive MY battery back.

"Note: if the product arrives to our facility and is found to be in perfect operating condition, the shipping back to you will be at your expense."

1702063222530.png

Our warranty policy has been slightly updated since this incident, so I will reference the wayback machine.

You agreed to these terms and conditions prior to your purchase. You insisted on the phone that the battery was faulty and our tech said it wasn't.\

That's funny, its nice to see someone with a sense of humor. I had completely put these folks in the rear view mirror until they initiated contact again. Hopefully they stay gone this time..
You started this thread and brought us in. See post 4 and 5 where you tried reaching out to us.

Back