diy solar

diy solar

Beginner home backup

First a quick background... We lose power maybe 2-3 times a year for a max of about 2-3hrs each time(mainly due to bad weather). I have a 5.5kw gas gen that we used a few times via extension cords... Time to upgrade! I'd like to keep the gen (I sometimes use it in the yard) and go home battery (no plans for solar). Like most everyone, with the Ecoflow Ultra popping up everywhere it's caught my eye. I've been back and forth between DIY and Pre-made (Ecoflow). Main things I'd like to power are as follows (specs listed, rounded up)
1) Oil boiler (circular pump, motor, etc) 15amps (provides heat/hot water)
2) Kitchen fridge - 7amps
3) Garage Fridge - 3amps
4) Garage Freezer - 2amps
5) Sump Pump (1/3hp) - 6amps (not really worried about this since it has its own 12v/2k auto xfer inverter and 12v 100ah 2x batteries)
Obviously depending on the weather some won't need power (garage is not insulated). Summer we can use a fan or stay in the basement since it's below ground and the temp year round is between 64F-70F. So with all that said, I'd like the option of covering critical loads (weather-wise) and basic lighting. My magic number is about 8000watts running, so I based my numbers around that(taking into account the 80% useable wattage)... Ecoflow Ultra with a second battery comes in about $10k for 12k capacity and 7.2k running watts. Or (either) Aims Power 8k inverter (or Victron 48v/8000 inverter multi-plus 2) paired with EG4 LiFepo4 48v/100ah server batteries for about $7500 (fuses/wires/misc items included). Both would require me to install a xfer switch regardless. Only real difference is with the Ecoflow I can charge it off my standard 120v outlet where as the DIY I'll need to install a 230v outlet. I don't think I would ever expand much beyond either option (capacity wise). What do you guys recommend? Am I aiming to high for running watts? My home is about 1900sqft. According to my electrical bill we use between 600kwh (winter) to 1200kwh (summer/ no central air, only window AC's) a month. I'd appreciate any input on this, thanks in advance.
I think 48V 8000VA multiplus 2 is Europe only unless you add an autotransformer to get split phase 120/240 out of it. Maybe two 48/5000 120V multiplus 2s, run them in split phase. Or parallel for 10kVA of 120V. You can set the Victrons to not use more than 13-15A or whatever the limit is on your existing 120V circuit.

After reading all the replies (thanks everyone) I think 8k is to high and possibly overkill. Considering my goals are smaller outages and no solar goals, I will take a deep dive into my power requirements. I just purchased a Emporia energy monitor (hooks to grids feed in my power panel) and mimick an outage using just critical loads. So far I've been watching Will Prowse videos and I'm liking the Eg4 6k XP combined with their (for starters) a single 48v 100ah LiFepo4 server battery. That should communicate nicely with each other and minimal add-ons since it comes with breakers/fuses.

After reading all the replies (thanks everyone) I think 8k is to high and possibly overkill. Considering my goals are smaller outages and no solar goals, I will take a deep dive into my power requirements. I just purchased a Emporia energy monitor (hooks to grids feed in my power panel) and mimick an outage using just critical loads. So far I've been watching Will Prowse videos and I'm liking the Eg4 6k XP combined with (for starters) a single 48v 100ah LiFepo4 server battery. That should communicate nicely with each other and minimal add-ons since it comes with breakers/fuses.
I'm impressed with the 6000xp. Should be happy with that.

Do a 50 amp feed going from Main panel to 6000xp, relocate a few of your desired loads to a new "critical" load panel. You will use the AC First setting to always run in grid bypass. In the event of a grid failure the 6000xp will pickup the load using your batteries.

I'd recommend starting with 2 batteries.

Here three other Youtune Chanels that have 6000xp videos.

IMG_8056.jpeg
I did this for a customer. 30kW battery, 8kW Growatt inverter. Cost $10k installed. It provides in excess of 24 hours full backup power for her whole house. Grid and generator fed.

Do a 50 amp feed going from Main panel to 6000xp, relocate a few of your desired loads to a new "critical" load panel. You will use the AC First setting to always run in grid bypass. In the event of a grid failure the 6000xp will pickup the load using your batteries.
What I have done with my critical load panel is power it via a manual transfer switch. It's normally supplied by my off-grid inverter (which can pass through grid power, or run from battery/solar, but if for some reason I need to take the off-grid system offline or it is not working/faulty then I can still manually switch those essential circuits back to the grid supply.

Installed the Emporia vue energy monitor today. So far everyone at home is doing what they normally do and it is reporting 600watts'ish of usage. When the boiler kicks on it jumps to about 800-1kw. I tested the accuracy and turned on my 5k heater and the usage jumped to about 5.6kw. So I'm thinking the 6kw inverter might be a tad too much. I'll continue to monitor but so far I'm thinking a 3kw inverter would be enough during an outage.

I'm thinking a 3kw inverter would be enough during an outage
If you consider the input wattage supported by the LV6548 and the fact that it is surviving being obsolete (because of demand and dependability track record) and is robust if needed and you will have 48V battery bank; it’s not much more money on the grand Scale than a 3048.
Though a 3048 would cover your loads mentioned.

Back