diy solar

diy solar

Benefits of Firmware Update for Growatt 12k DVM MPV

MrM1

I'm Here, But I'm Not All There
I have seen where other people have had some trouble updating the firmware of the various Growatt units.

What are the Pros and Cons of updating the Firmware? (other than the obvious “when you update you have the latest greatest”).

Some of us are having problems with the PV not being recognized in the mornings (randomly) and others have suggested that updating to the latest firmware will fix that. Speaking of that, does anyone have the latest Firmware update file for the 12k DVM MPV?

I was going thru that when my DC input voltage as just on the low side, 65vdc teetering on 60 and sometimes dropping to 59vdc. Have not seen it yet with 150vdc input

Does the firmware update fix this or do people leave the firmware update alone?

Also, i lost my disk. What is the software that came on the disk? Is it PV keeper? I tried that and it crashes. Was able to use Ian's battery volt calibration too. That worked perfectly

Both times the morning pv start did not occur, it was bright and sunny. With three pv panels in series @37.7voc, low dropout shouldn't have been an issue.

No ideal what was on the disk, or where mine went. Using SolarAssistant and never looked back. Battery volt calibration tool?

After seeing a few threads on how someone bricked their inverter after an unsuccessful update, I'm still reluctant to update.

Both times the morning pv start did not occur, it was bright and sunny. With three pv panels in series @37.7voc, low dropout shouldn't have been an issue.
Yeah I was using just 2 panels. In the morning (but in full shade) I was getting about 75vc. At solar noon on a warm day, it droped to beteen 68-60 and sometimes feel below that. I found that in full sun, when first staretd up, both the Growatt 12k and the 48v 120amp Growatt SCC both would start, but then in about 5 minutes stop sendind amps and power to charging. When I doubled the panels, so far (3 days of testing) all PV inputs have worked

No ideal what was on the disk, or where mine went. Using SolarAssistant and never looked back. Battery volt calibration tool?

After seeing a few threads on how someone bricked their inverter after an unsuccessful update, I'm still reluctant to update.
I think on the disk might have been the manual? And maybe PVKeeper as the software. I got the 64 bit version of PVkeeper to work after I told Win 10 to run it as an administrator. The usage display is lacking, but PVKeeper does let me change all settings of the Growatt 12k on the PC. Have not tried it yet for the SCC.

I heard from Ian at Watts247 last night. He suggested NOT to update the firmware. I received my Growatt 12T back last Nov. 2021.

Ian also did a video on Calibration. I have a victron shunt that was reporting 53.01vdc. The Growatt 12k said 53.8 and the Growatt SCC said 53.6vdc. I assumed this was going to create issues with votage cut off settings for CV (absorb) and Float. Downloaded the Growatt Calibration tool from Watts247 last night, connected via a Win 10 laptop using the provided Growatt USB to DB9 cable , and a Serial port adaptor DB9 back to USB into the PC, I was able to calibrate all voltages do exactly the same, using the Victron SmartShunt as the baseline as it agreed with both of my Jk/Heltec BMS's. Was supper easy.

Calbration tool (unzip and use Store Monitor)

Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter

Yes, you have to shut everything down and restart.

One time when it did it a few months ago, the shutdown/restart caused all of my settings to go back to the factory settings and I did not realize it until my BMS's starting shutting down my packs, protecting them from overcharge. I then had to make another special trip to this remote location to figure out what was going on and reprogram the unit.

I put in a request to Growatt a few days ago requesting the latest version of the firmware but they told me that since my problem only happened once recently I did not need it . Interestingly enough, he told me the date that it happened on. I guess they have a way of monitoring our units remotely. I did not recall giving them permission to do that but I am sure it's in the fine print somewhere.

Why would they care? Why not just give me the latest firmware and be done with it. Now they have just pissed me off needlessly.

Why not just have a download section on their website so that anyone can get the newest versions if they want them?

What exactly is happening? What is the Issue? Is it a fault Code? No PV volts? No PV charging?
No PV Charging. The voltage is there but the inverter does not appear to see it. There are no panel icons on the screen and the inverter will just not switch into charge mode.

There are no fault codes.

No PV Charging. The voltage is there but the inverter does not appear to see it. There are no panel icons on the screen and the inverter will just not switch into charge mode.

There are no fault codes.
Interesting, When I was running only 2 panels, I was was not getting charging but I was seeing voltage. My input voltage was too low (59-70vdc). BUT ... I was seeing the panel icon on screen AND the charge light was flashing. Increasing the number of panels and subsequently the DC input voltage seemed to have fixed the issue. I hope you get that sorted out.

Interesting, When I was running only 2 panels, I was was not getting charging but I was seeing voltage. My input voltage was too low (59-70vdc). BUT ... I was seeing the panel icon on screen AND the charge light was flashing. Increasing the number of panels and subsequently the DC input voltage seemed to have fixed the issue. I hope you get that sorted out.
It's weird. it will work flawlessly for weeks or even a few months at a time and then just out of the blue, for no reason I can figure out, it will just stop charging. One time I did not notice it right away and it was down for several days (before I noticed it) and then the next morning (when I was about to drive up there to fix it) it started back up all on it own. I think it was down for 3-4 days in a row and then it started working again.

Luckily I do have grid power and it switches to it when the battery gets low so I do not loose my freezers but it is certainly something I wish would stop happening.

It's weird. it will work flawlessly for weeks or even a few months at a time and then just out of the blue, for no reason I can figure out, it will just stop charging. One time I did not notice it right away and it was down for several days (before I noticed it) and then the next morning (when I was about to drive up there to fix it) it started back up all on it own. I think it was down for 3-4 days in a row and then it started working again.

Luckily I do have grid power and it switches to it when the battery gets low so I do not loose my freezers but it is certainly something I wish would stop happening.
Are you using the 12kw? If it were possible, you might want to try a second charge controller and bring half your array in to the inverter AIO and half to the scc.

I can see that being a problem. what are you having to do to get it to recognize?
I am having the same issue. I have to do a complete hard boot of the inverter to get it to re-engage. I seem to remember some time ago, the unit restarted on its own. I have this issue on colder mornings, 0C. I am well below the stated 250VDC OC limit of the unit---199VDC OC. And have gotten a thumbs up from Sig Solar on the system design. I tend to believe is has to do with this upper limit of PV input, as it only happens on winter mornings.

I am having the same issue. I have to do a complete hard boot of the inverter to get it to re-engage. I seem to remember some time ago, the unit restarted on its own. I have this issue on colder mornings, 0C. I am well below the stated 250VDC OC limit of the unit---199VDC OC. And have gotten a thumbs up from Sig Solar on the system design. I tend to believe is has to do with this upper limit of PV input, as it only happens on winter mornings.
Time (probably next Jan in FL) will tell. We did the full farm install 3 weeks ago. 16 x 370w panels. Input voltage is about 186v dc at 50*F

Time (probably next Jan in FL) will tell. We did the full farm install 3 weeks ago. 16 x 370w panels. Input voltage is about 186v dc at 50*F
I am never up early enough to put an eye on my panel input voltage. Only suspect that in the lower 30s it would be cranking out the watts. Will keep you posted on what i find.

Some of us are having problems with the PV not being recognized in the mornings (randomly) and others have suggested that updating to the latest firmware will fix that. Speaking of that, does anyone have the latest Firmware update file for the 12k DVM MPV?
I do. But am having some difficulty to get it uploaded. Tried to load in resource section. But did not allow, said it was too large.

I am never up early enough to put an eye on my panel input voltage. Only suspect that in the lower 30s it would be cranking out the watts. Will keep you posted on what i find.
I had this happen again last week but for only one day and the next day it started again on it own. I still have no idea what could be causing it. I notice last week that the previous day does not seem to end (it shows the previous days kWh all day) on the day it did not activate as opposed to showing zero kW hours generated.

As for the most recent suggestion, I am not sure how too-high a voltage could possibly be the answer (if that is what you are suggesting) as the voltage starts low in the morning as the sun is rising and when it activates, it does so very early before voltage gets anywhere near it peak.

Does anyone see the Solar Charger of the 12k seem to NOT be charging ... or at least not very much? We have the 12k and also an External Stand alone SCC with an 8 string 11,800w array. With both chargers on and full blue sky solar noon sun, batteries at 3.345v per cell (about 88%), if both chargers are on, the external charger put out 4000w and the 12k's charger would only do 800 or less watts. If I turn off the breakers to the external SCC, I get about 3000w , but if I switch the external back on it immediately drops to under 800 again.

BUT ... it we load up the loads (more than just battery charging) ... the 12k came up to 3000w and the external was at 4000w. How normal is this behavior?

Back