diy solar

diy solar

Does Growatt make stackable inverters?

MaikaiLifeDIY

Solar Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with the Growatt product line besides having seen and knowing of them.

I've seen Growatt inverters that are single-phased paralleled to get split phase, but what I'm wondering is if you can stack these larger inverters, similar to EG4 and Sol-Ark inverters. I looked in the manual "briefly" and the spec sheet, and saw no mention of this.

I appreciate anyone's help, just need someone who knows a bit more about these devices since they don't seem to have as detailed information available as some of the other manufacturers I've worked with.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Growatt product line besides having seen and knowing of them.

I've seen Growatt inverters that are single-phased paralleled to get split phase, but what I'm wondering is if you can stack these larger inverters, similar to EG4 and Sol-Ark inverters. I looked in the manual "briefly" and the spec sheet, and saw no mention of this.

I appreciate anyone's help, just need someone who knows a bit more about these devices since they don't seem to have as detailed information available as some of the other manufacturers I've worked with.

Cheers!
Some models of the Growatt can be stacked. And some can't.
You have to choose a model that fits your needs.
Just like Deye (sold by Sol-Ark) and Voltronics or LuxPower (sold by EG4).

Does the manual show any means of parallel wiring or stacked operation?

The "word" stacking or similar is not mentioned in that manual that I could see. The reason I asked here is because I was looking for anyone with lite Growatt experience who would know, "off the top of the head" yes/no. The website doesn't group them into stackable or expandable categories and I'm just not seeing it.

@timselectric can you link me any unit from Growatt that is stackable, please?

@timselectric can you link me any unit from Growatt that is stackable, please?
Here's a few. There's probably more.

Hi @timselectric, thank you for those links.

I didn't look closely enough at these because they're all low on the output scale, sub 5000 W inverters and I was looking for something similar to the Sol-Ark 15K, or the EG4 18k.

The unit that looked the closest in single unit output was this guy

Then I looked at the commercial units, and none of those had stacking.

So let me phrase a question.

Is it accurate to say that the stacking capabilities for the Growatt Inverter line are primarily on the lower output per unit, sub 5000 watts?

Hi @timselectric, thank you for those links.

I didn't look closely enough at these because they're all low on the output scale, sub 5000 W inverters and I was looking for something similar to the Sol-Ark 15K, or the EG4 18k.

The unit that looked the closest in single unit output was this guy

Then I looked at the commercial units, and none of those had stacking.

So let me phrase a question.

Is it accurate to say that the stacking capabilities for the Growatt Inverter line are primarily on the lower output per unit, sub 5000 watts?
Possibly
I haven't dug into it much.
I went with the SPF-5000-ES units, because they fit all of my needs. I haven't needed to look any further.

If you are looking to stack multiple 12k output units.
How much power do you need?

Possibly
I haven't dug into it much.
I went with the SPF-5000-ES units, because they fit all of my needs. I haven't needed to look any further.

If you are looking to stack multiple 12k output units.
How much power do you need?
Hi @timselectric

Thanks for spending some of your valuable time engaging on my thread.

I’m looking at running 2-6k square foot homes off-grid. They have 6+ tons of AC, pool pumps, electric tankless, commercial refrigerators, jacuzzis, landscape lighting, multiple tellies, septic treatment, etc.

Depending on the owner it could be smaller and unlikely that loads would overlap frequently. So at a minimum I’m looking at one or more Sol-Ark 15k’s, or EG4 18k’s, and occasionally an owner has a Growatt, Schneider, or even Aims system and they don’t have enough energy. Rather than swing them over to my preferred brands, I instead try to learn about their units and recommend any possible expansion using their existing brand.

So anyways ran across a client with that Growatt I linked above, and I’m bummed we can’t simply stack more of those units and keep his existing investment.

Hi @timselectric

Thanks for spending some of your valuable time engaging on my thread.

I’m looking at running 2-6k square foot homes off-grid. They have 6+ tons of AC, pool pumps, electric tankless, commercial refrigerators, jacuzzis, landscape lighting, multiple tellies, septic treatment, etc.

Depending on the owner it could be smaller and unlikely that loads would overlap frequently. So at a minimum I’m looking at one or more Sol-Ark 15k’s, or EG4 18k’s, and occasionally an owner has a Growatt, Schneider, or even Aims system and they don’t have enough energy. Rather than swing them over to my preferred brands, I instead try to learn about their units and recommend any possible expansion using their existing brand.

So anyways ran across a client with that Growatt I linked above, and I’m bummed we can’t simply stack more of those units and keep his existing investment.
That's a lot.
But yeah, I don't think that any of the low frequency split-phase Growatts are stackable.
Just FYI :
The EG4 you are referring to is the 18kpv.
And both that one and the Sol-Ark "15k" , are actually 12kw units.
Something to keep in mind, when calculating how many you might need.

That's a lot.
But yeah, I don't think that any of the low frequency split-phase Growatts are stackable.
Just FYI :
The EG4 you are referring to is the 18kpv.
And both that one and the Sol-Ark "15k" , are actually 12kw units.
Something to keep in mind, when calculating how many you might need.

Well, I guess I'll have to suggest moving outside the Growatt line. Regarding the inverters, I'm very much aware of the games companies play with numbers. At least the 15K can provide 15 kW during solar hours, whereas the EG4 doesn't get a boost while generating solar and stays fixed at 12 kW. IMO, they're both great inverters with some small variances that may or may not be a benefit depending on the scenario.

I think the reason why the larger capacity split phase inverters are not parallelable is because they are already essentially two inverters in parallel inside one box, and the low frequency models which include a transformer probably are not intended for parallel because any unequal wiring would create differences in what flowed through each inverter's transformer, so it may be possible to overload a transformer even though the total wattage is well below the max of the combined inverters' output. At least, that's what my brain thought of on short notice. Might be bullshit..

Most LF inverters aren't stackable. I have the Growatt 12k, but if I was considering more power and expandability on a budget, I might look at 4 of these:

If I had the money, I'd get a couple of Sol-Ark 15ks.

I think the reason why the larger capacity split phase inverters are not parallelable is because they are already essentially two inverters in parallel inside one box, and the low frequency models which include a transformer probably are not intended for parallel because any unequal wiring would create differences in what flowed through each inverter's transformer, so it may be possible to overload a transformer even though the total wattage is well below the max of the combined inverters' output. At least, that's what my brain thought of on short notice. Might be bullshit..
Seems like a plausible explanation. 👍

Most LF inverters aren't stackable. I have the Growatt 12k, but if I was considering more power and expandability on a budget, I might look at 4 of these:

If I had the money, I'd get a couple of Sol-Ark 15ks.
I haven't done the math, but is 4X 6000XPs more cost-effective than two 18Ks from EG4? Would you like shut down 3 of the 4 inverters if you were like on vacation or something for a while? I'm kinda wondering if more smaller inverters provide different flexibility I haven't considered.

With 4 of those, we're talking about more wire for sure, and the need to link up all the positive/negative wires on a busbar somewhere. I wonder if all the added parts and labor is negated by greater flexibility and or cost savings on the units?

If you want to go the Growatt route, you could use something like their Whole Home Backup box, and use that to collect power from up to 3 inverters. So, in theory, you could have 3 MIN-11400TL-XH-US feeding into that. Downside is, you're locked into proprietary batteries on the Growatt end. But this assumes you want to grid-tie the setup, off grid, this wouldn't help at all.

If you want to go the Growatt route, you could use something like their Whole Home Backup box, and use that to collect power from up to 3 inverters. So, in theory, you could have 3 MIN-11400TL-XH-US feeding into that. Downside is, you're locked into proprietary batteries on the Growatt end. But this assumes you want to grid-tie the setup, off grid, this wouldn't help at all.
Thanks for the ideas, this is all completely off grid in my cases.

They're all inverter LG, Mitsubishi, and Mirage mini split units. They all soft start by design, but I'm certainly aware of the big outdoor units that many American homes have and the current inrush.

I think someone said Mitsubishi made PFC inverter drive units, while most other US models weren't.
I suppose inverters can handle some amount of poor PF load, but it doesn't help. Also makes efficiency worse.

Depending on the owner it could be smaller and unlikely that loads would overlap frequently.

Are you planning to do a bunch of independent PV systems, or a large system to feed multiple homes?

If one big one, how many kW total?
There are some larger inverters, like 36kW or more, 3-phase.

Back