diy solar

diy solar

Does Growatt make stackable inverters?

I think someone said Mitsubishi made PFC inverter drive units, while most other US models weren't.
I suppose inverters can handle some amount of poor PF load, but it doesn't help. Also makes efficiency worse.

Are you planning to do a bunch of independent PV systems, or a large system to feed multiple homes?

If one big one, how many kW total?
There are some larger inverters, like 36kW or more, 3-phase.
They’re all separate 1 ton units, so they’ll all be switched on-off separately.

The "word" stacking or similar is not mentioned in that manual that I could see. The reason I asked here is because I was looking for anyone with lite Growatt experience who would know, "off the top of the head" yes/no. The website doesn't group them into stackable or expandable categories and I'm just not seeing it.

@timselectric can you link me any unit from Growatt that is stackable, please?

I haven't done the math, but is 4X 6000XPs more cost-effective than two 18Ks from EG4? Would you like shut down 3 of the 4 inverters if you were like on vacation or something for a while? I'm kinda wondering if more smaller inverters provide different flexibility I haven't considered.

With 4 of those, we're talking about more wire for sure, and the need to link up all the positive/negative wires on a busbar somewhere. I wonder if all the added parts and labor is negated by greater flexibility and or cost savings on the units?
Will did a video on these units...they can be a pretty clean install:

Thanks, I forgot about the new one.
If I didn't already have the Deye. I would probably get it. To keep everything the same brand.
I will probably end up buying one when it becomes available stateside

Interesting the spec sheet makes no mention of stacking.

You really have to dig deep with some of these manufactures and infer functionality from user manuals cause the spec sheets just aren’t complete.

I do wonder why 6 is a common stacking limit.
Only recently have some gone beyond 6.

Any idea when that Growatt 10K will be available in the US?
Has cost been discussed?
Growatt hasn't said a date. I asked last week again and they didn't respond.

Supposedly it's available via Alibaba for about $2200. Maybe $2500 with shipping. Upsets me that the euro version is $1500.

Depending on the owner it could be smaller and unlikely that loads would overlap frequently. So at a minimum I’m looking at one or more Sol-Ark 15k’s, or EG4 18k’s, and occasionally an owner has a Growatt, Schneider, or even Aims system and they don’t have enough energy. Rather than swing them over to my preferred brands, I instead try to learn about their units and recommend any possible expansion using their existing brand.
You can keep the existing inverter as AC PV into the Smart Load port of the sol-ark or 18kpv

Growatt hasn't said a date. I asked last week again and they didn't respond.

Supposedly it's available via Alibaba for about $2200. Maybe $2500 with shipping. Upsets me that the euro version is $1500.

Just poking around Alibaba tonight, and found a "seller" claiming to be selling these "SPH 10000TL-HU-US" for $768, plus shipping of course... Seems too good to be true, so it probably is. I wish we could at least get a price and ETA from Growatt on them.

Just poking around Alibaba tonight, and found a "seller" claiming to be selling these "SPH 10000TL-HU-US" for $768, plus shipping of course... Seems too good to be true, so it probably is. I wish we could at least get a price and ETA from Growatt on them.
Yeah that sounds like a scam.

I also wish growatt would provide an ETA .

I don't know if you are wedded to Growatt's, or would consider other inverters. For such a large (off-grid) installation (rentals?, where you'd want absolute rock-solid operations?), I'd go with a Tier-1 "pre-wired" unit.

With these, the inverter/charger, mppt, and e-panel (and other bits & bobs) are all pre-wired together into one LF-AIO (tm ... as I just coined that acro : ).

My Magnum 4024 is a pre-wired unit, and I just slapped it on the utility shed wall, and made various connections to it. Been running over 5+ years now (the magic of LF). I'd look at Midnite Solar's (MS) website.

As an aside, there was a thread posted not too long ago looking at the MS futures, and this post was of a vendor show where they displayed a grid of Midnite inverters, IIRC. Find that post, talk to @HighTechLab (of CurrentConnected), and see if the future is any closer. Otherwise, these pre-wired LF-AIO's might fit the bill for you:

midnitesolar.com/products.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=20&removeSearch=remove

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back