diy solar

diy solar

Benefits of wiring an east/west array in parallel or series

Kent86

I've had seven HQST 190 watt panels east facing on my patio roof for a while and just added seven west facing panels yesterday. Its a low angle roof, probably between 25 and 30 degrees. Is there any real advantage to wiring them into two parallel strings?

A bit of back round- I have an EG4 3000 and the max PV current input is 18 amps so the parallel strings during full production will be about 20-22 amps and I will be losing peak wattage input during those hours due to the limit. But if I wire them all is series and run at higher voltage I can utilize all of that power and won't lose it due to the 18 amp limit of the SCC.
I've had panels facing different directions wired in parallel before but I'm not sure how the different direction of panels wired in series will affect the output.
Curious what your guys thoughts are on this.

Panels facing different directions are fine in parallel.
Not in series, as the output is limited by the lowest facing output.

so I am not sure if this is clear.

I have one array facing SE and one facing SW. both arrays are in series, but the connections between the two are parallel into the charge controller.

Just incase someone reading this read it differently.
I assume this is what tim is suggesting?

so I am not sure if this is clear.

I have one array facing SE and one facing SW. both arrays are in series, but the connections between the two are parallel into the charge controller.

Just incase someone reading this read it differently.
I assume this is what tim is suggesting?
Correct

Back